9,795 posts in this topic

The EU is the only major Western region exporting any vaccine but I agree with Krieg, it's not enough. We should not be vaccinating 20 year olds so we can reopen nightclubs in Berlin while vulnerable people in desperately poor countries are left unvaccinated. Shame on all of us if that happens.

And if if allows China and Russia to get their claws into these countries (even moreso than now) then we only have ourselves to blame.

Here is a list of what EU is paying. Bear in mind these are huge orders, small ones are more expensive.

• Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78 (£1.61).

• Johnson & Johnson: $8.50 (£6.30).

• Sanofi/GSK: €7.56.

• Pfizer/BioNTech: €12.

• CureVac: €10.

• Moderna: $18.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/18/belgian-minister-accidentally-tweets-eus-covid-vaccine-price-list

So even for South Africa, it's a lot of money. At 59M people, it would mean 708M€ with Pfizer vs 105 for AZ. Now multiply that by 2 (doses) and you get 1400M€ for PFizer.

Moderna would cost 1700M€.

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

Here is a list. Bear in mind these are huge orders, small ones are more expensive.

• Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78 (£1.61).

• Johnson & Johnson: $8.50 (£6.30).

• Sanofi/GSK: €7.56.

• Pfizer/BioNTech: €12.

• CureVac: €10.

• Moderna: $18.

So even for South Africa, it's a lot of money. At 59M people, it would mean 708M€ with Pfizer vs 105 for AZ. Now multiply that by 2 (doses).

That's peanuts compared to the running costs of the pandemia and the damage to the economy.   I know for sure that back home we would buy any vaccine anyone sells to us for whatever reasonable price.   It will take probably 5 to 10 years to recover from the financial damage.  And right now we have already the IMF and his friends breathing in our necks pushing for a new tax reform to increase taxes.  I am not sure what is left to tax.

And one thing I know, we will not forget that China and Russia were the ones that gave us the hand.  I hate it, but it is what it is.

18 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The EU is the only major Western region exporting any vaccine

According to Dominic Raab, they have also been exporting vaccine to Mexico and Canada.

6 minutes ago, Mackle said:

According to Dominic Raab, they have also been exporting vaccine to Mexico and Canada.

Canada isn´t using the AZ vaccine though. They are considering to donate it.

27 minutes ago, Krieg said:

WHAT?  Are you serious?   hahahahahahahaha what a bunch of nonsense.

Do you know about a country called Brazil?   Do you believe the statistics can be trusted?  Do you think they do the same amount of testing in the third world compared to US and Europe?   And which economy do you think is more badly affected?   The first world economy or the third world economy?   I haven't heard of people dying of hunger in Germany lately.

Is that the Brazil who have a government that don't believe they have covid problem???

If you don't think there are hungry people in Europe or dying of the cold, google "homelessness in Europe" and take off those rose tinted glasses!

1 minute ago, keith2011 said:

Is that the Brazil who have a government that don't believe they have covid problem???

If those are the parameters to receive vaccines then MAGA USA should receive none.

1 minute ago, keith2011 said:

If you don't think there are hungry people in Europe or dying of the cold, google "homelessness in Europe" and take off those rose tinted glasses!

OK, according to you Europe is getting the worse part in homelessness and hunger-ness, and Covid financial damage.   Sure.   And you post that while you post from your decently paid home office job.

45 minutes ago, Krieg said:

And you post that while you post from your decently paid home office job.

If only you knew!

Though I presume you wrote that based on your own situation.:rolleyes:

Probably hijack this thread to ask a quick question.

Does anyone know the quarantine rule for communal gardens?

If a family in the block of flats we are living in is quarantined can they still use the communal gardens?

17 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Probably hijack this thread to ask a quick question.

Does anyone know the quarantine rule for communal gardens?

If a family in the block of flats we are living in is quarantined can they still use the communal gardens?

Do you mean quarantine because 1 of them has the virus or have they been somewhere high risk ?

They`re not supposed to leave their flat.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Canada isn´t using the AZ vaccine though. They are considering to donate it.

Apparently they are using it. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/news/2021/03/health-canada-confirms-that-the-benefits-of-the-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-continue-to-outweigh-the-risks-for-use-in-canada.html

And the US is loaning them some as well.  https://globalnews.ca/news/7704507/canada-us-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine/ 

3 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Do you mean quarantine because 1 of them has the virus or have they been somewhere high risk ?

They`re not supposed to leave their flat.

A kid at kindergarten got the virus and the other kid was in close contact.

You would think that they would be responsible m enough to not go out there if the garden is shared. 

1 minute ago, RenegadeFurther said:

A kid at kindergarten got the virus and the other kid was in close contact.

Have they officially been told to quarantine or just told the kid must quarantine.

Bloke at works kid was in same situation,colleague was allowed to carry on as normal while waiting for test result on his kid because technically he hasn`t been in close contact with someone with the virus.Kids result came back negative but would have been interesting to see what would have happened if it had been positive.

Made an appointment in the late morning for a PCR test in Munich. I already got one today at 17:30. Last year, it took a week for an appointment. It took 5 minutes in total from entering the big test center and walking out there again. Wow!

33 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Made an appointment in the late morning for a PCR test in Munich. I already got one today at 17:30. Last year, it took a week for an appointment. It took 5 minutes in total from entering the big test center and walking out there again. Wow!

Not to sound like Trump, but That’s another factor why the numbers have shot up 

In Brazil, one serious problem is the President’s attitude..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/12/plan-to-vaccinate-town-in-brazil-against-covid-starts-real-estate-rush

One town is starting its own kind of defence... and , the way humans are in panic , some have money for everything and willing to buy/ rent property blindly...so it is partly, as usual , a rich v poor thing when it boils down to it. 
Not only rich v poor continents but rich v poor individuals.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-56118963

Ah, this is the report I heard the other day!

Proper sound and stuff!

1 hour ago, john g. said:

And you are still here to tell the tale, Luke!❤️👍😂

Tomorrow, I get the result. Fingers crossed 👍.