9,374 posts in this topic

When we visited the Seychelles in November they had less than 10 active cases.

Now they have more than 600 active cases and 150 new infections every day.

They started vaccination beginning this year. More than 60% of the population got the first dose and more than 30% the second dose already.

I can't understand, why the numbers are still increasing.

People younger than 60 were vaccinated with the Chinese stuff, older people with the Indian Astra Zeneca stuff.

For me it looks like the Chinese stuff is fake.

A Chinese medical worker has just tested positive a month after taking the sinovac.

11 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

2 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

A Chinese medical worker has just tested positive a month after taking the sinovac.

We know that none of the vaccines offer 100% protection against Covid but in the event of infection should limit the severity of any illness. There seems to be evidence from the UK that tat is the case but I have not seen any hard scientific studies on that yet. Anyone have any data on infections, hospitalization and deaths of those who have had the vaccine?

It's totally expected that in the early stages of vaccinations that even vaccinated people will contract the disease. As more people get vaccinated the vectors the disease has to spread are closed off however. Nobody can assume they are immune, even after vaccination with Biontech.

Looks like things are kicking of again between EU and uk, the EU may ban exports of the vaccine.

The UK is saying if the oes EU that, then things that are  used to make the that are made in the uk, will not be allowed to be exported anymore.

If that happens everybody will lose, mind you its the EU who are on the losing side at the moment, with vaccine production.

As said before, even if eu gets all the UK vaccine of about 30 million, it will make little difference, in the e, who have to vaccinate 450 million

Just looks like it's politics to me, in that they does not like to look like it's not done a good job over the vaccine, and is throwing mud, to try and hide it, 30 million doses will not make much difference to the eu vaccination program

What bugs me, is that I not get a vote on vdl, she, eh if I decide that she has made a mistake, I cannot vote her out in an election

8 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Just looks like it's politics to me, in that they does not like to look like it's not done a good job over the vaccine, and is throwing mud, to try and hide it, 30 million doses will not make much difference to the eu vaccination program

Yes particularly here in Germany even if they got them all they would probably demand  everyone fill out a ten page hand written form in triplicate plus addendums for each state, before they would even consider letting you have a non-EU vaccine.:wacko:

36 minutes ago, yesterday said:

the EU may ban exports of the vaccine

According to the Australian government they (or at least Italy) already has

5 minutes ago, Mackle said:

According to the Australian government they (or at least Italy) already has

I think they mean banning exports to the uk

37 minutes ago, yesterday said:

The UK is saying if the does EU that, then things that are used to make the vaccine that are made in the uk, will not be allowed to be exported anymore.

Blame Pfizer for this, they put the idea in Dominic Raab's head as they issued their own statement earlier in the weekend

I honestly don't get the feeling that VdL is trying to blame all of the EU's delays on AZ. That would be very easy to disprove by simply noting that AZ has so far left us short of "only" about 60 million doses. 

Their behaviour has contributed to the problems but isn't the only problem. 

I'm still glad the EU took an approach based on solidarity with one another but I have a selfish reason. My mum is getting vaccinated today in Ireland. It's unlikely Ireland or any of the smaller countries would have been able to outbid the larger ones. It would have been a bloodbath between the member states.

7 minutes ago, murphaph said:

It would have been a bloodbath between the member states.

Or it would have potentially have pushed them into Sputnik V and SinoPharm.

Maybe I am making too big a leap in my thinking, but in the case of SinoPharm, that instantly makes me think of the Belt and Road Initiative, and I think that if member states were getting involved in Belt and Road then that cases a huge problem for the EU

I have no major problem with manufacturing those vaccines in the EU under licence and paying the going rate for them (assuming they get approval) but it would be very destabilising for us if shipments came directly from Moscow or Beijing with strings attached.

This whole business has hopefully taught us a lesson. A FEMA style agency for the EU should be on the agenda for future catastrophes that affect us all. 

I am personal quite un happy to take the Russian vaccine, because I just do not trust the Russians to tell the truth, given what we have seen them doing, just in the last couple of years. 

It would be very easy for the Russians to submit false records for their vaccine and gain approval for it in the eu

Maybe I am too distrust full, don't know. 

I am in favor of a central distribution of the vaccine under EU control aswell. But think we should have paid to have more production in the eu - although I did say that months ago, there are still some issues with hindsight 

I am glad my mother got the vaccine in January in the UK under the uks Central system

3 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

People younger than 60 were vaccinated with the Chinese stuff, older people with the Indian Astra Zeneca stuff.

What I've read is that the Chinese vaccine is less than 50% effective. That won't work.

If that is true, then there is an interesting point nobody is talking about: as the rest of the world will become immune, China will continue to lock itself, as they are unable to achieve immunity.

Either that is on purpose (let's start the conspiracy theories!) or they have alternative plans in march.

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

What bugs me, is that I not get a vote on vdl, she, eh if I decide that she has made a mistake,

I doubt she is to blame. According to Kekulé it´s Eastern European governments which blocked efforts to order earlier, more and at higher prices. VdL had no control over those, so it´s unfair to blame her.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

I doubt she is to blame. According to Kekulé it´s Eastern European governments which blocked efforts to order earlier, more and at higher prices. VdL had no control over those, so it´s unfair to blame her.

It is entirely fair to blame the person at the top of this cockup, that's what they get paid for!

The mother got her first shot this morning at her regular GP's surgery in Ireland. She said it was all very efficient. Basically when the GP gets a shipment of vaccine, normal surgery hours are suspended and people asked to reschedule appointments. They set up with the 2 GPs and the nurse jabbing people as quickly as they can and a third person enters the data into the tracking system. She got the Biontech shot. I guess it is possible for GPs to give that shot so it shouldn't be a problem here either.

8 minutes ago, murphaph said:

They set up with the 2 GPs and the nurse jabbing people as quickly as they can and a third person enters the data into the tracking system. She got the Biontech shot. I guess it is possible for GPs to give that shot so it shouldn't be a problem here either.

One GP and one nurse at my practice.

Happy for your mom!