9,374 posts in this topic

Yeah it was a gamble for sure with the dose stretching. Luckily for the UK and now the rest of us, it paid off.

51 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Yeah it was a gamble for sure with the dose stretching. Luckily for the UK and now the rest of us, it paid off.

Obviously I am happy that it's worked so far, but (Brexit-thread crossover coming!) what I don't like is the vaccine situation being used as propaganda by sections of the UK media and by the Government itself. It's not a simple case of "we are doing well in our rollout", but it is being used as justification for Brexit (member states could have done something similar to the UK, I think some have) AND is used to spout anti-EU rhetoric, which to hijack the pandemic in this way is incredibly distasteful and disrespectful as many lives have been lost.  

I was wondering if they are giving any instructions to those who get AZ about what symptoms to look for after that may indicate blood clots. How soon do they form if they form? Also, Is Germany waiting the 12 days now between injections? Is one allowed to request it?

1 hour ago, Mackle said:

Obviously I am happy that it's worked so far, but (Brexit-thread crossover coming!) what I don't like is the vaccine situation being used as propaganda by sections of the UK media and by the Government itself. It's not a simple case of "we are doing well in our rollout", but it is being used as justification for Brexit (member states could have done something similar to the UK, I think some have) AND is used to spout anti-EU rhetoric, which to hijack the pandemic in this way is incredibly distasteful and disrespectful as many lives have been lost.  

totally agreed, many articles are totally jingoistic.

Good question FF. In the UK they are going with "Business as usual" (try to find any information about the symptoms of these rare clots on the NHS website).

In contrast in the Irish HSE website I found the symptoms to watch for in about 30 seconds:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/media/pressrel/resumption-of-the-astrazeneca-vaccine.html

I don't know what path the Germans have chosen but as we suspended administration here one would expect that people are already more aware of the symptoms. It has been in the media much more here, in a factual way.

44 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I was wondering if they are giving any instructions to those who get AZ about what symptoms to look for after that may indicate blood clots. How soon do they form if they form? Also, Is Germany waiting the 12 days now between injections? Is one allowed to request it?

I read that if after having the AZ  jab you suffer with a headache that does not go away for four days seek medical advice because  it can be a sign that all is not well. On the other hand my wife had a very bad 3-4 day headache and hangover feeling following her 2nd Bion-Tech jab.

Not sure if its 12 days or 12 weeks now here in Germany but don't worry the way things are going with vaccine rollout by the time they get round to us under 80s either they will have a one jab vaccine or we will be dead!:angry:

35 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

They are in the process of updating the printed explanation and permission forms which you have to sign that you have read and understood. In the meanwhile,  before the updated forms are ready, there will be a handwritten addendum by the attending doc at the centre. Before getting the jab you see the doc anyway and have the opportunity to ask about anything unclear to you.

I think you mean 12 weeks not days. My second jab is scheduled approx 12 weeks after the first. 

Is that an AZ jab Feierabend? Or are we stretching the mRNA vaccines as well here now? Just curious.

Thanks for the link @murphaph .

Here are the symptoms to watch for blood clots -

However, EMA recommended that people are aware of the following symptoms after receiving the AstraZeneca Vaccine and are advised to seek prompt medical assistance and mention your recent vaccination:

• breathlessness
  • pain in the chest or stomach
  • swelling or coldness in an arm or leg
  • severe or worsening headache or blurred vision after vaccination
  • persistent bleeding
  • multiple small bruises, reddish or purplish spots, or blood blisters under the skin

The EMA and the NIAC have concluded that because COVID-19 can be so serious and is so widespread, the benefits of the vaccine in preventing this disease outweigh the risks of side effects, including the extremely small possibility of these very rare unusual blood clots.

Himself just talked to a friend who had his first AZ jab on Fri. They told him to come back in 4 wks. for the second.

5 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

In the meanwhile,  before the updated forms are ready, there will be a handwritten addendum

Typical haven't they heard of PCs, Office Word and copiers???

56 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Of course, you can request it. However, I doubt that your health insurance will pay for it. A simpler and cheaper measure would be to simply have platelet count. If you have that syndrome you should have very low platelets. My GF had among others a blood count (including red and white blood cells) at a lab and IIRC the cost was below €10.- . 

26 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I don't know what path the Germans have chosen

They will have the package insert updated. Great help:unsure: Let´s hope this won´t delay vaccinations until all package inserts will be swapped.

2 minutes ago, jeba said:

They will have the package insert updated. Great help:unsure:

In fairness after going to the Gesundheitsministerium website I found the symptoms to look out for in 30 seconds there too:

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/coronavirus/faq-covid-19-impfung/faq-impfung-astrazeneca.html#c20855

16 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Here are the symptoms to watch for blood clots -

Be aware that the virus is causing blood clots as well. Even in children. The son (elementary school age) of a friend of mine had caught the virus and he had thromboses in his toes.

In either case one should seek immediate medical attention so I guess it doesn't really matter the cause, if you get any of the symptoms listed after vaccination you should be heading to a hospital A&E pronto.

Yes and definitely more chance of catching and dying from Covid 19, even if young and healthy.