9,374 posts in this topic

You can make yourself a 'custom stream' for 'new posts' which solves the problem.

Although I did it myself, following instructions from Panda, I can neither remember how nor find the post with the instructions, sorry. 

If you click on the star or dot beside the topic title, it will take you to the first post that you haven't read. I actually right click it and open the new post in another tab.

Good news on the vaccine front, UK has vaccinated 50 % of its population R rate well below 1.

While in the EU, less than 10% of the population has been vaccinated. 

Covid 19, is now spreading very fast in Germany,  why will they not shut the schools?  Its the only thing that has really changed in the last weeks. 

Can nobody see the link

10 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Good news on the vaccine front, UK has vaccinated 50 % of its population R rate well below 1.

Covid 19, is now spreading very fast in Germany,  why will they not shut the schools?  Its the only thing that has really changed in the last weeks. 

Can nobody see the link

...and getting the children to school via public transport...

Said so from day one. Or minus so when It was considered harmless here despite the number of cases in Asia.

My name is Nobody. And I'm German.

3 hours ago, Sannerl said:

...and getting the children to school via public transport...

Said so from day one. Or minus so when It was considered harmless here despite the number of cases in Asia.

My name is Nobody. And I'm German.

yes but they are now doing weekly tests in schools. 

2 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

yes but they are now doing weekly tests in schools. 

Oh; the virus must be so scared.

Schools were shut down because of lice which aren't/weren't(?) deadly any more nowadays...

Does anyone know where it is possible to see a breakdown in incidence rates? It is such a broad brush  - I would like to know ages where these incidences are rising, where they largely family transmitted, where in my city, etcetera. I cant find this data anywhere. Is it even collected? Surely this would be a more effective way of stemming this?

I agree that it is down to vaccinations and more targeted testing. Not locking down the entire country.

11 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Does anyone know where it is possible to see a breakdown in incidence rates? It is such a broad brush  - I would like to know ages where these incidences are rising, where they largely family transmitted, where in my city, etcetera. I cant find this data anywhere.

https://www.berlin.de/corona/lagebericht/

40 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Does anyone know where it is possible to see a breakdown in incidence rates? It is such a broad brush  - I would like to know ages where these incidences are rising, where they largely family transmitted, where in my city, etcetera. I cant find this data anywhere. Is it even collected? Surely this would be a more effective way of stemming this?

I agree that it is down to vaccinations and more targeted testing. Not locking down the entire country.

You can find more information on www.rki.de

The detailed information you wanted may be there, but it's difficult to find.

As an entry you could use. https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/nCoV_node.html;jsessionid=A82DAE509149B76C01B6869DF94B8BBA.internet082

Dashboard under "Fallzahlen und meldung" gives you the overview as a map that you surely have seen somewhere.

When I had look at "Tägliche Situationsberichte", in the pdf of today I found:

Die 7-Tage-Inzidenz bei 60-79 Jahre alten Personen liegt aktuell bei 62 und bei 80 Jahre alten Personen bei 57 Fällen / 100.000 EW. Die 7-Tage-Inzidenz nimmt insbesondere in den Altersgruppen <60 Jahre, Kinder eingeschlossen, zu

If you scroll down to "Daten zum Download" you can download the data for all 1400000 cases and do your own evaluation.

At a first glance I could not find the breakdown you want.

You can switch to English, howver, not all information is translated.

The university of Greifswald managed to detect the mechanism underlying the thrombosis problem which occurred in rare cases after administration of the AZ vaccine: in all patients they found antibodies which are activating platelets to kick coagulation in action. They also suggested a screening test as well as a therapy for it (infusion of other immunoglobulins).
Source (in German): https://www.medizin.uni-greifswald.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Verschiedenes/zoom_0.mp4

9 hours ago, yesterday said:

Where are you seeing those numbers? They don't match what I'm seeing. EU has 12% of ALL population. Which is around 15% of adult population.

This is all very misleading because UK went on the route of getting everyone 1 shot as fast as possible, as the rest of EU went with the (stupid) idea of reserving the second shot and keeping time between shots as recommended.

If you use a single metric (number of shots vs total population), then you have 41% for UK and 12% for all EU.

This reality will catch up when UK starts giving all those second shots (12 weeks after first).

4 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Where are you seeing those numbers? They don't match what I'm seeing. I see 40% in UK with at least ONE shot. And only 3% with both.

I'm showing the numbers from this website. Perhaps this is how you got it wrong. Their numbers seem correct, but their conclusion is wrong. It's 40%, not 50%.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-20/u-k-vaccination-drive-on-track-as-half-of-adults-inoculated

If  you go to the NHS at https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-vaccinations/ they say that in the week ending March 14th, they have vaccinated 45% of the population 16+ and of those vaccinated, 2.4% have received a 2nd dose.  

31 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Where are you seeing those numbers? They don't match what I'm seeing. EU has 12% of ALL population. Which is around 15% of adult population.

This is all very misleading because UK went on the route of getting everyone 1 shot as fast as possible, as the rest of EU went with the (stupid) idea of reserving the second shot and keeping time between shots as recommended.

If you use a single metric (number of shots vs total population), then you have 41% for UK and 12% for all EU.

This reality will catch up when UK starts giving all those second shots (12 weeks after first).

Ireland stretches the (relatively few) AZ doses to 12 weeks like the UK but not the Biontech or moderna ones as there's very little data to support this course of action. The UK gamble provided us with data on extending the AZ vaccine. It actually provides better protection after 12 weeks! Any country not already extending the second AZ shot to 12 weeks needs to ask why. I would hope Ireland isn't the only country learning from the UK experience in this regard.

It seems to have gone almost unreported but following the discovery by Denmark, Norway and then Germany of these rare blood clots, the UK took a closer look at its data and lo and behold 5 men between the ages of 19 and 59 who were recently vaccinated with AZ had such clots. One man died.

So they hadn't noticed, probably due to the rarity (they are vaccinating way more people in total but fewer people in the seemingly riskier younger age groups because the UK is doing it more based on age than anything else and the healthcare workers that got vaccinated at the beginning got the Biontech shot as the AZ hadn't yet been approved.

There are almost certainly people in that group that would be dead today if they'd received the AZ jab, though many more would be dead from Covid if they'd received no jab.

Anyway what's interesting is that all the UK cases are men. 12 out if the 13 cases in Germany were women.

By the way the explanation given by the team in Greifswald (to be fair working with colleagues in Ireland, the UK and Austria) was independently reached by the Norwegians a day earlier. The Norwegians have gone further though and state that it's virtually impossible that anything other than the vaccine triggered this autoimmune response. 

I understand that the French have done the obvious thing (based on the current data, even if the action might confuse people) and flipped the age restriction around. Now only older people get AZ in France! I saw the same recommendation by a respected doctor in Die Zeit a couple of days ago. 

We know the AZ is safe in older people now. Ample data from the UK says so and we know it's likely enough to have an extremely rare but very dangerous side effect in younger people.

24 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Anyway what's interesting is that all the UK cases are men. 12 out if the 13 cases in Germany were women.

Of those 13 cases, 3 people between 20 and 50 years old died.

8 hours ago, murphaph said:

Those figures are too small to be meaningful. Taken together, the distribution between the sexes is equal. :D  Geographical location across a relatively small distance (ca. 1000km) can hardly be meaningful.

9 hours ago, murphaph said:

Ireland stretches the (relatively few) AZ doses to 12 weeks like the UK but not the Biontech or moderna ones as there's very little data to support this course of action. The UK gamble provided us with data on extending the AZ vaccine. It actually provides better protection after 12 weeks! Any country not already extending the second AZ shot to 12 weeks needs to ask why. I would hope Ireland isn't the only country learning from the UK experience in this regard.

Gamble is right, I think it is by luck rather than judgement - but you already know that's my opinion on it :P 

Here in the UAE the AZ has also been extended to 12 weeks after the UK Government's experiment results

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Those figures are too small to be meaningful. Taken together, the distribution between the sexes is equal. :D  Geographical location across a relatively small distance (ca. 1000km) can hardly be meaningful.

You're right that the sample size is too small to draw conclusions but it was starting to be reported in the press that this phenomenon mostly affects women. The UK data should stop that kind of reporting.