9,374 posts in this topic

I read (I think) in Handelsblatt a few days ago that the Biden administration doesn´t stop vaccine exports but it forces manufacturers of precursor substances necessary to "manufacture" vaccines to prioritise US customers. Maybe that explains at least part of the problem.

AZ is the only company that did not deliver what was promised to the EU in the first quarter. And it was way short, like 30 million doses instead of 90 million.

Moderna only promised 30 million but delivered them. Biontech delivered their much larger delivery (can't remember exactly how much, it was all on sky news at 9 last night for anyone who wants to check).

AZ really is the odd man out. The EU questions why they have so drastically failed to deliver on promises to us but the UK has received their orders.

AZ has prioritised the UK. The EU believes that in doing so has not made a best effort to deliver to the EU.

I think we all know that AZ and the UK government have some sort of agreement (perhaps deliberately not in writing) that AZ should not export anything from their UK plants as long as there is demand from the UK. Not a drop of vaccine has left the UK. It has enabled the country to race ahead in first jabs.

Now the EU is saying to the UK (and US) that if you are by whatever means not prepared to let vaccine flow to us, we will have to reconsider letting it flow to you. Some people will scream that these are private contracts, but we also have a contract with AZ which is not being fulfilled.

My personal suspicion is that AZ were approached last summer and asked would they trial and produce the vaccine but give preference to UK orders no matter what contracts they sign with anyone else and AZ agreed.

The UK reduction in doses is I believe a reduction in imported doses, not a reduction in doses from the AZ UK plants.

The UK as well as producing at home has imported roughly 10 million doses of Biontech from the EU. 

The moral question that VdL is asking is, should my 75 year old mum in Dublin be left waiting for a shot while a 45 year old in the UK gets hers, with EU made vaccine, when the UK exports no vaccine to us whatsoever?

I think it is time exports to the UK and US were suspended. Our own citizens matter too. We should continue to export to countries with no capacity to manufacture vaccine themselves. That's the right thing to do.

This is not a cover for the failings of the various EU programmes. It's not about excusing those failings. It's about fairness.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Now the EU is saying to the UK (and US) that if you are by whatever means not prepared to let vaccine flow to us, we will have to reconsider letting it flow to you. Some people will scream that these are private contracts, but we also have a contract with AZ which is not being fulfilled.

The UK is not without a similar problem , link below is more info. on the April shortfall. Also there is still no explanation as to why the EU, after trashing the AZ vaccine from day 1 are now so insistent on getting their orders delivered when they are not currently using it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56438629

On 17.3.2021, 09:47:27, MikeMelga said:

Here is the impact of stopping AZ:

Number of vaccinations on:

• Tuesday last week: 246.692
  • Tuesday this week: 172.899

30% drop.

28% drop on Wednesday. Seems the new normal.

anyone else see another hard lockdown on the horizon, or am I just being a drama queen

14 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

The UK is not without a similar problem , link below is more info. on the April shortfall. Also there is still no explanation as to why the EU, after trashing the AZ vaccine from day 1 are now so insistent on getting their orders delivered when they are not currently using it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56438629

Some EU countries are still using it and the expectation seems to be that the EMA will continue to certify the vaccine but may insist in additional warnings being given about it (see the FAQ I linked to above), so we may well be back vaccinating people with AZ very soon.

The UK problem is different. They have had no shortfall from AZ so far. This is little wonder, because AZ has quite clearly been prioritising the UK orders in Europe, despite the contracts being largely the same and the EU's contract predating the UK's, and the UK plants are specifically listed as part of the supply chain for the EU (the EU plants are listed as part of the UK supply chain). AZ, for reasons only known to itself has decided to prioritise the UK deliveries to the extent that not one dose of AZ vaccine has left the UK, despite those plants being clearly listed as part of the EU supply chain. In contrast, 10 million doses of Biontech have gone to the UK from the EU. This is what VdL and the EU are getting particularly pissed off about. It's a one way flow of vaccine to the UK and US from the EU. Nothing comes back the other way.

The UK now needs additional vaccine to maintain the pace of its rollout. Why? Because so far they've given hardly any second jabs and the clock is ticking on those. They have been stretched to the limits already. If they don't administer them, the efficacy is really unknown and they can start from scratch. But to start administering the second jabs and maintain the pace of the first jabs, they need even more vaccine. They import this from the EU and now also from India (which I think is out of order on a moral level as India is supposed to be providing the vast bulk of vaccine for the developing world). I really hope the EU doesn't start importing vaccine from a developing country like that.

There is no indication of shortfalls from AZ UK plants, whereas here in the EU we've only received around one third of the agree doses from AZ. This has never been satisfactorily explained by AZ.They tried to blame the "European supply chain difficulties" but the UK plants are listed as part of that supply chain. AZ has chosen not to deliver anything from them. 

So that's why they issued the warning to slow down the invitations for first jabs yesterday.

I read  an idea from a woman on twitter (and I do not personally believe this but I thought it was kind of interesting, feel free to file under "crazy conspiracy theories") that the UK is also concerned about the haemorrhage cases we've had in the EU in younger (mostly) women and wants to delay the rollout to that cohort until more is known and this is a good cover for that delay. The UK is on the cusp of mass vaccinations of the age groups which are susceptible to these sorts of rare haemorrhages. We've only vaccinated people in specific professions in those age groups. If there is a causal relationship, then the UK would see many more deaths than here. 

2 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

anyone else see another hard lockdown on the horizon, or am I just being a drama queen

Sure, why not. Poland has just entered one again. Our numbers are not good.

23 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

No - not on the horizon - its staring us in the face!

15 minutes ago, HEM said:

No - not on the horizon - its staring us in the face!

I really hope not, especially since the hospitality sector really needs a boost. If they can work out which vaccines may be safer for specific age groups they can target across the board, but it needs UK as well as EU (and other countries) to work together and publish data on which side effects are seen from which vaccines and in which age groups. Sadly working together is going to be very difficult to achieve when throwing accusations/insults/possibilities etc. Its a chaotic shitshow from all directions.
In other news, I have decided to get my hair cut - just in case :lol:

GERMANY

Vaccinations 9,853,966 | 11.76 doses per 100 people | Increase in cases compared to last week +23,889

Coronavirus infections are spreading fast again in Germany and there's already growing dissatisfaction over a slow vaccine rollout, writes Jenny Hill in Berlin.

"We wonder now when we will ever be vaccinated?" says kindergarten worker Tanya.

Just 8% of the German population has received a first jab in a country which, most experts agree, is firmly in the grip of a third wave.

Germany has relied largely on Pfizer/BioNTech, but ministers need AstraZeneca if they're to keep their promises and speed things up.

So the decision to suspend the jab has caused dismay, anger and concern.

Not least because, even in a country that is broadly open to vaccination, AstraZeneca has a bit of an image problem; in part, because the government initially blocked its use in older age groups.

Ministers argue now, as then, that they're acting to create public trust. Many here would say they've had the opposite effect - undermining faith not just in the vaccine but, in an election year, the government itself.

Covid in Europe, from the BBC

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

The UK problem is different. They have had no shortfall from AZ so far. This is little wonder, because AZ has quite clearly been prioritising the UK orders in Europe, despite the contracts being largely the same and the EU's contract predating the UK's, and the UK plants are specifically listed as part of the supply chain for the EU (the EU plants are listed as part of the UK supply chain). AZ, for reasons only known to itself has decided to prioritise the UK deliveries to the extent that not one dose of AZ vaccine has left the UK, despite those plants being clearly listed as part of the EU supply chain. In contrast, 10 million doses of Biontech have gone to the UK from the EU. This is what VdL and the EU are getting particularly pissed off about. It's a one way flow of vaccine to the UK and US from the EU. Nothing comes back the other way.

If this is the case then the EU needs to pull its finger out of its arse and take some action. Use whatever legal recourse they have. The UK is not in the EU any more, time to take some action. Cases are rising, deaths continuing, strong words aren't getting us anywhere.

1 hour ago, theGman said:

If this is the case then the EU needs to pull its finger out of its arse and take some action. Use whatever legal recourse they have. The UK is not in the EU any more, time to take some action. Cases are rising, deaths continuing, strong words aren't getting us anywhere.

It's time like these where you see that the EU needs a single, strong leadership, that does not bow to external nor internal influences.

Right now we have a multitude of "presidents" (Council, Comission, rotating national president (which is also called Council), etc) which are more like golden thrones for politicians.

1 hour ago, theGman said:

I tend to agree the time has come to suspend exports to countries that have both failed to share any of their vaccine and also have higher vaccination rates than us. 

Any action the EU takes, needs to be based on solid facts, not idol talk.

Everybody is speculating why the EU has not enough vaccine, but nobody really seems to know why from official sources.

I know it's shit that we have very little vaccine in eu, but if the EU takes action without good solid reasons and facts, then the EU will look like dicks_ again when the truth comes out, and actions were based on wrong thinking. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2102214

This is quite bad news for the AZ vaccine (well, for humanity really). It is ineffective at preventing mild to moderate cases of disease of the SA variant. It is unknown if it is effective at preventing severe disease. This is why the UK especially has been chasing up every individual case of the SA variant it discovers.

Just look at the UK numbers, it is clear that what they are doing is far more effective. 

AZ into as many arms as possible ASAP.