9,375 posts in this topic

Obviously the source is questionable, but the DailyMail is reporting today that the Pfizer vaccine has also been linked to blood clots as well

9 hours ago, murphaph said:

Personally my biggest concern is, why have several of these blood clotting incidents not been reported in the UK? They should have surely seen these things too, given the far higher number of doses administered, but seemingly they have not, that strikes me as odd if these sort of events should be expected at these sorts of incidence rates in the general population. I have no reason to suspect that the UK has concealed these events. I genuinely believe that they haven't experienced them. Their vaccine, it should be noted, comes from a different place than ours, despite being nominally the same.

@murphaph, from the DailyMail article mentioned:

Breaking the silence on the decision to suspend use of the jab, Germany's Paul Ehrlich Institute said the condition is 'so serious that it is not justifiable to continue vaccinating without testing'. UK's drug regulators appear to have spotted the condition five times in 11million doses

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Why are you so willing to believe that they haven't had these side effects?  Considering the misinformation, corruption, and outright lies of the government, I take anything they say with a grain of salt. Is there any type of independent reporting system that the government can't corrupt? 

I just feel that the NHS would not be corruptible in this way. Johnson and his cronies absolutely but not the NHS. If they'd had cases at the same rate as Norway they'd have had roughly 300 deaths attributable to these thromboses. That would be difficult to cover up even if you wanted to I guess.

1 hour ago, Mackle said:

@murphaph, from the DailyMail article mentioned:

Breaking the silence on the decision to suspend use of the jab, Germany's Paul Ehrlich Institute said the condition is 'so serious that it is not justifiable to continue vaccinating without testing'. UK's drug regulators appear to have spotted the condition five times in 11million doses

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

The issue that concerns the Germans (et al) is the type of clot. The clots reported that are concerning are these brain clots that seem reasonably likely to be fatal. I assume there would be far less concern if it was some other clot in a less sensitive part of the body.

53 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I just feel that the NHS would not be corruptible in this way. Johnson and his cronies absolutely but not the NHS. If they'd had cases at the same rate as Norway they'd have had roughly 300 deaths attributable to these thromboses. That would be difficult to cover up even if you wanted to I guess.

Interesting comment on the ZDF late news this evening, it seems the brain clots are confined to women aged 30-50 but the UK has not got down to that age level yet with their general vaccine rollout so although they have a high usage of the AZ vaccine the vast majority of recipients are aged 60+ thus possibly skewing the stats.

20 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Interesting comment on the ZDF late news this evening, it seems the brain clots are confined to women aged 30-50 but the UK has not got down to that age level yet with their general vaccine rollout so although they have a high usage of the AZ vaccine the vast majority of recipients are aged 60+ thus possibly skewing the stats.

That is interesting. I wonder will we see increased resistance to vaccination, especially by women in the UK as they are called up.

Having said that we haven't gotten down to that general age group yet either, only some people in certain professions. 

I'm prepared to give the AZ vaccine the benefit of the doubt but we need further investigation.

18 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Having said that we haven't gotten down to that general age group yet either, only some people in certain professions. 

That is true but my point was that we have not used the AZ vaccine at all for 65+, the entire usage has been on those people in qualifying professions. That qualification is wider here than in the UK where it is only hospital and care home workers, not teachers and the wider health care community. So  the AZ vaccine here in Germany and as I understand it in most EU countries has been used predominantly on groups with a far higher percentage of those who may be vulnerable. It remains to be seen if the other vaccines (currently reserved for the 65+ group raise similar concerns when they are used on younger age groups.

I absolutely agree that the jury is still out pending further investigation.

Here is the impact of stopping AZ:

Number of vaccinations on:

• Tuesday last week: 246.692
  • Tuesday this week: 172.899

30% drop.

11 hours ago, keith2011 said:

That is true but my point was that we have not used the AZ vaccine at all for 65+, the entire usage has been on those people in qualifying professions. That qualification is wider here than in the UK where it is only hospital and care home workers, not teachers and the wider health care community. So  the AZ vaccine here in Germany and as I understand it in most EU countries has been used predominantly on groups with a far higher percentage of those who may be vulnerable. It remains to be seen if the other vaccines (currently reserved for the 65+ group raise similar concerns when they are used on younger age groups.

I absolutely agree that the jury is still out pending further investigation.

Correction: AZ was approved for 65+ here in early March. Probably still relatively few in this group have had it though as it's been restricted to particular occupations.

As a newly entitled and very relieved 65+ Ancient Person I got my first shot of AZ a few days ago and will be really cross if I can't use my second appointment in a couple of months. 

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Here is the impact of stopping AZ:

Number of vaccinations on:

• Tuesday last week: 246.692
  • Tuesday this week: 172.899

30% drop.

I wonder what the death toll will be from that.

12 hours ago, keith2011 said:

it seems the brain clots are confined to women aged 30-50 but the UK has not got down to that age level yet

They are down to 50 year olds already. Also worth considering that they have already immunised those of all ages with a history of blood clots who might otherwise be a higher risk group than the population at large.

I wonder. surely those who have had the AZ first dose will be allowed to have their second.. there must be some turn around at some stage on this approach.

Its such a mess. This is normally the stuff I see happening in the UK and hold my head in my hands. Now it is the perfect opposite

The theory mentioned by Keith that Germany has experienced these incidents while other countries have not (to the same extent) being possibly down to the fact that these types of haemorrhage are actually more prominent in 20-50 years olds normally is explored in this Zeit article:

https://www.zeit.de/2021/12/astrazeneca-nebenwirkungen-thrombosen-corona-impfung-impfstoff

It would explain why the UK, despite having vaccinated many more people, hasn't had the same reactions. They have been vaccinating from the oldest to the youngest, with less emphasis placed on occupation. I hope it's not that, because if it is the UK could be about to have a series of these events as they are now allowing 40 - 50 year olds to book vaccinations. This just started in the last couple of days. Either way, the UK data will be more useful once they start vaccinating people en masse in the age group concerned.

Edit: The first 10 million doses in the UK were Biontech as AZ had not yet been approved, so many of the critical workers in the 20-50 age bracket would have been vaccinated with that, masking any effect (if any exists) of the AZ vaccine on younger people.

1 hour ago, theGman said:

I wonder what the death toll will be from that.

Depends on whether people die 'with' or 'of' .

New update on the Niedersachsen vaccination portal at https://www.impfportal-niedersachsen.de/portal/#/appointment/public

They've added some occupations to the list to go through and check if you qualify.  I helped someone who is a diabetic register on the waiting list.  She got a receipt with a code on it and will be notified when they can give her an appointment.  You can choose whether to be notified by mail or email as well as if you also want an SMS.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

While Germany is predicting an increase in it program

Can`t  see that happening somehow..

Derzeit keine Onlinebuchung von Impfterminen

Aufgrund des Impfstopps für das Vakzin von AstraZeneca besteht derzeit in Baden-Württemberg keine Möglichkeit zur Onlinebuchung von Impfterminen.

Für die Abarbeitung der Warteliste wird das Terminbuchungssystem zunächst bis einschließlich Montag, 22. März, geschlossen. Für diese Zeit können weder telefonisch noch online Termine in den Impfzentren gebucht werden.

It certainly seems like all the vaccine manufactures are struggling to meet the demand and deliver to the orders they have received and whilst I have no knowledge on how they set their priorities for deliveries I doubt the EU is top of the list for Astra Zenica! Understandably  given that firstly they decided not to use it on people over 65 resulting in millions of unused stocks and now most EU countries have suspended it use on everyone.

The EU Commission is again threatening to ban vaccine exports in retaliation for not receiving imports of the AZ vaccine from the UK even though won't be using them, adding downright stupidity to incompetence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/45877605