9,048 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

So..

..when will nightclubs open again? 

And the really important question is, what about this year's of October fest ???

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

And the really important question is, what about this year's of October fest ???

I guess some restrictions might be decided by the state?  Bavaria has proven to be a.) a bellwether state and b.) often stricter than other states.

So, gatherings of >1000 people are unlikely this year, in my somewhat educated but by no means expert opinion.  I don't think any of the usual summer music festivals will take place and they're a fraction of the size of Oktoberfest. 

4 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I guess some restrictions might be decided by the state?  Bavaria has proven to be a.) a bellwether state and b.) often stricter than other states.

So, gatherings of >1000 people are unlikely this year, in my somewhat educated but by no means expert opinion.  I don't think any of the usual summer music estivals will take place and they're a fraction of the size of Oktoberfest. 

Dunno if MM_ is right and everybody in Germany is vaccinated by August, then bar some variants ( which are resistant ), and maybe have a kind of locals fest, then I do not really see why to ban it this year. The vaccine does offer  some protection, against the variants, just not as high. We know already the vaccine vastly reduces the death rate,  that  death rate, will only reduce by August

4 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I will visit my mother once I get the vaccine, cannot see any real difference, in going in an aeroplane and going to the fest

I cant beleive that something so fucking dumb just came from you!

@yesterday I guess the point is possibly that just because everyone is vaccinated does NOT mean the pandemic is over, or that there is no more risk of transmission.  On this part I'm a lot less clear, I don't even know if the government is clear what their plan or strategy is after "everyone" is vaccinated.  The point is also maybe a bit that "everyone" is subjective--not everyone can or will be vaccinated.  That's just an uncomfortable fact.  Then there's the question of the Impfpass, Impfpflicht, and so on.  It will take longer to work out these details just from a policy-making point of view; I don't think those questions will be answered this year and if I'm honest I highly doubt anywhere close to "everyone" who wants to be vaccinated will have the chance to do so this year, much less before Oktoberfest.  And even if they were, you still have to implement the measures to make sure only the vaccinated come in, and if that even means the event is safe, etc etc etc.  This has all moved at a glacial pace and even if/when the vaccination campaign is expedited it will still take time for life to go back to "normal."  I'm a little more optimistic about what the "return to normal" means than many of my peers, but I do agree that it will take longer than people are readily willing to accept and also cannot be rushed.  And fact is that large gatherings of people are simply lowest priority.  Flying has been possible the entire time and takes place only under strict conditions and reduced/restricted participation, so not really at all in the same category as a big drunken party IMHO.

14 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I've no idea what it means.  I went to that profile to see if it had any restrictions on it that I was unaware of and stumbled across the field with that information in it.

Lent. The person thinks that being an insufferable ass the entire rest of the year is compensated by abstaining from being an insufferable ass for 40 days. Amusing as all hell. People and their deaths cults!

Vaccine refusers are OK by me, as long as they don't moan and kick off when they see everyone else going to restaurants, clubs, pubs, travelling on planes, trains, generally life back to normal (ish).

It was their choice to not take it, they have to live with the consequences of that. Grow up and accept that the world has changed.

1 hour ago, oscar 63 said:

Vaccine refusers are OK by me, as long as they don't moan and kick off when they see everyone else going to restaurants, clubs, pubs, travelling on planes, trains, generally life back to normal (ish).

It was their choice to not take it, they have to live with the consequences of that. Grow up and accept that the world has changed.

IMHO increased access privileges (to flights, restaurants etc.) for the vaccinated are the only way to speed up the population's willingness to participate. A lot of people I know claim they will refuse the vaccine, even elderly people.

Yes, it's a carrot and stick form of motivation, but this is a global crisis on a level I thought I would only see on Star Trek.

5 hours ago, yesterday said:

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Not to mention the Frühlingsfests and Sommerfests that are held all over the place.

I'm in contact with people involved in the Oktoberfest (travel agents, company setting up grandstands etc.).
None of them believe that a regular large Oktoberfest (with over a million - many foreign -  guests) will take place, as the decision needs to be made by the City of Munich by the end of April/beginning of May.
They see a small chance of a very small local version - but that would just be a sort of morale boost only, and pretty much the same economic catastrophe as fully cancelling it.

I really would prefer to be proven wrong on this one... *needs a miracle*

14 minutes ago, Metall said:

IMHO increased access privileges (to flights, restaurants etc.) for the vaccinated are the only way to speed up the population's willingness to participate.

I think you are right. The vaccine passport idea (or as the Qantas CEO rather crudely put it, "No jab no fly") may have polarised opinions (people generally either seemed to be strongly in favour of or strongly against, there were not many inbetweens) but if given the choice of no vaccine and staycations with limitations, or no limitations and fly around the world again / drive over the borders if you want to, I suspect people will - even if it's it very grudgingly for some - get vaccinated.

It’s harsh but that’s when people need to take responsibility for their choices.

The world has changed. 

10 hours ago, jeba said:

That part is a bit of a mystery to me (apart from that in summer there will be more, not less, humidity in the air as warm air can trap more water). Kekulé explicitely said in one of his podcasts that absolute, not relative humidity mattered. Which is something I can´t wrap my head around. After all, the time it takes for a droplet to evaporate depends on relative humidity, doesn´t it? And what role does dryness play for the virus? I guess, it´s hull will disintegrate when drying. Is that similar to the process which makes a soap bubble finally burst?

The virus is too heavy for its shape to sustain itself in the hair. But it can remain in the air for hours if attached to particles/aerosols that can float. That's why venting the room is so important.

1 hour ago, Metall said:

I'm in contact with people involved in the Oktoberfest (travel agents, company setting up grandstands etc.).
None of them believe that a regular large Oktoberfest (with over a million - many foreign -  guests) will take place, as the decision needs to be made by the City of Munich by the end of April/beginning of May.
They see a small chance of a very small local version - but that would just be a sort of morale boost only, and pretty much the same economic catastrophe as fully cancelling it.

Have they considered doing it later, for example mid November? That would not only give them more time to decide, but they could also expect better chance of having herd immunity. Of course, it would require a vaccination proof.

6 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

The virus is too heavy for its shape to sustain itself in the hair.

So is that why women are at lower risk than men for Covid, less baldness?:D