8,875 posts in this topic

German radio news said the government is planning to permit meeting of five (5) people again starting next Monday!
The ruling isn't official yet, but in my experience "plans" in German media are implemented exactly that way not much later.

You heard it here first. :D

www.welt.de  Monday 1st

In March, far more Corona vaccines will be delivered than before. At the same time, far fewer vaccines are already being delivered than are available.

If the lockdown continues, this will become an explosive mixture for politicians.

8,453,295 vaccine doses for Corona vaccinations had been delivered to Germany by Friday, according to a list from the Federal Ministry of Health.

Another delivery of 650,400 doses of the vaccine from AstraZeneca was scheduled for Saturday.

In addition, a batch of vaccine from Moderna was still outstanding until the end of February, amounting to 343,200 doses.

By the end of Sunday, the number of doses delivered should have increased to 9.45 million, as planned.

And at the beginning of the new week, the number will continue. Already for Monday or Tuesday, another 924,300 doses of the vaccine from Biontech are announced.

By the end of the third week of March, 21 March, 14.68 million doses will have arrived in Germany, if everything goes according to plan.

Compared to what has been recorded so far, what is coming now is almost a vaccine wave.

In the course of the vaccination campaign so far, about one million doses per week have been delivered on average. In the next three weeks,

it will be about 1.7 million, i.e. 70 percent more.

The only problem is that Germany is already lagging behind with the vaccinations. On Tuesday, more than three million doses were in stockpiles;

on Friday, some of them had been vaccinated, but 2.5 million doses were still stored unused. And there is now the threat of significantly more.

So far, the daily vaccination record is just under 170,000 doses. Even if we reach this peak again day by day in the coming weeks - even on weekends -

we would only reach 9.82 million vaccinations by 21 March. So there would be 4.86 million doses lying around unused.

To limit the number of unused vaccine doses to even three million on 21 March, the number of vaccinations would have to be 250,000 day after day, starting with the past Saturday, almost 50 per cent above the previous daily record. And to push the number of unused vaccine doses below two million by 21 March, there would even have to be almost 300,000 vaccinations a day.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hopefully Germany can cope with the coming vaccine wave.

9 hours ago, Fritsen said:

At least a growing number of EU countries are going their own way, since Brussels has mishandled this process every step of the way.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/02/europe/europe-vaccine-strategy-splinters-intl/index.html

But that CNN report contradicts what @AnswerToLife42 posted above, there are actually plenty of vaccines available and the stockpile keeps growing because we are not vaccinating fast enough.    The vaccinator (hope that's a word) said in the video that they could give twice the shots they are giving now.  This reminds me on the inefficiency of the introduction of "online appointments" in many public offices (Ausländerbehörder, Bürgeramt, etc), when you could just go there and get a number and wait you normally could talk so someone that same day and get your things done, but now with the online appointments you have to wait months for an appointment.

18 minutes ago, Krieg said:

But that CNN report contradicts what @AnswerToLife42 posted above, there are actually plenty of vaccines available and the stockpile keeps growing because we are not vaccinating fast enough. 

I think the stockpiling is mostly due to Astrazeneca refusal and holding the 2nd dose. Not because of "efficiency". They are around 7x slowerd than expected, so I think it is mainly due to lack of vaccines than to bad throughput.

Anyway, they should not be holding the second dose.

11 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

The only problem is that Germany is already lagging behind with the vaccinations. On Tuesday, more than three million doses were in stockpiles;

on Friday, some of them had been vaccinated, but 2.5 million doses were still stored unused.

Just checked and the difference between total number with at least 1 shot and total number with both is 2.075.000. It matches the stockpile. This means there is no delay or lack of efficiency, it's just the stupid decision to hold the second dose.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

But that CNN report contradicts what @AnswerToLife42 posted above, there are actually plenty of vaccines available and the stockpile keeps growing because we are not vaccinating fast enough.    The vaccinator (hope that's a word) said in the video that they could give twice the shots they are giving now.  This reminds me on the inefficiency of the introduction of "online appointments" in many public offices (Ausländerbehörder, Bürgeramt, etc), when you could just go there and get a number and wait you normally could talk so someone that same day and get your things done, but now with the online appointments you have to wait months for an appointment.

But that’s a German problem not an EU-wide problem. Denmark, Austria and others experienced  a shortage of vaccines in the beginning (and an ongoing shortage) which is why they’re doing their own thing going forward.

Seems vaccination priorities changed a bit and now I have a family member that can go up the list. Unfortunately, I think there is a bug on the online form, because everytime I try to change that specific information, nothing changes. I've also tried to redo the registration and everytime the specific criteria is gone.

I've tried calling the vaccination center but they only answer if I am over 80... anyone knows a phone number where I could clarify this?

3 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

Daily Fail - this cannot be accurate.

'NINETY PER CENT of Germany's severe Covid-19 patients have migrant background and more than half are Muslim' despite making up 4.8% of the population - with politicians 'afraid to tackle the problem in case they look racist'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9320323/Coronavirus-Germany-90-severely-ill-patients-migrant-background.html

While the numbers look quite high, probably they are still onto something.    Back home the worst affected people are the poorest.   I wouldn't be surprised that in Germany a big chunk of the worst affected people are as well the poorest and in that bracket there are plenty of people with migration background.

3 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

'NINETY PER CENT of Germany's severe Covid-19 patients have migrant background and more than half are Muslim' despite making up 4.8% of the population - with politicians 'afraid to tackle the problem in case they look racist'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9320323/Coronavirus-Germany-90-severely-ill-patients-migrant-background.html

Well, that will make AfD happy.

4 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

If it is in the Daily Fail it can't be accurate! They just make things up to suit whatever agenda they are currently trying to promote, been doing it for years.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Back home the worst affected people are the poorest.

In my country, the worst affected are the BAME community. And not just the poorest as many immigrant doctors have died. Hence the theory that they are very deficient in vitamin D because darker skin blocks out a lot of the vitamin D that we normally get from sunlight - and we don't get much sun in the UK. So maybe they are onto something.

A friend of mine has a daughter which lives in Flensburg (at the Danish border, incidence rate 160).

She told me that her daughter thinks that the reason for high rate is, that a lot of migrants ignore to isolate and reduce contacts.

If I remember correctly, it the British variant which was imported from Denmark.

People went from Germany to Denmark to a wedding or so.

The high rates at the border to Czech have another -obvious- cause.

29 minutes ago, Jonny said:

In my country, the worst affected are the BAME community.

In Portugal it's gypsies and black people from ex-colonies. They refuse to lockdown and even shoot at the police when they come to their neighborhoods.

There are also hard working foreign (middle east?) working in shitty conditions in meat packing industry. Speaking of that, something has to be done to that industry, corona or not.

I could well imagine that the following factors are the reasons for this, not the racial/religious aspects

poverty, cramped living conditions, more frequent use of public transport, and jobs in which keeping physical distance was impossible, such as in the hotel and catering or meat processing industries.

Agreed. Too easy to point the finger, sitting in a spacious apartment, working from home.

Some people simply cannot do this. 

I am aware of a local outbreak that was caused by an Afghan asylum seeker who continued working at his job with a small building company despite he and his family having been tested positive for Covid, later claiming he could not afford to isolate. Many of the employees were infected and some were very ill, the company had to close for 2 weeks and the Afghan got the sack!