7,233 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Keleth said:

Nope live about 50km outside of Stuttgart which is where our nearest one is.

 

January 22nd the Kreisimpfzentren will open. There will probably be one closer to you then. I live about 15km outside of Stuttgart and there will be one in my city.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, optimista said:

The fabric of Portuguese society is reassuringly tightly woven, as I remember. They look out for each other because they have to. Going it alone is not an option. Reciprocity is a given.  Yes, they are very nice chaps (except the drunks). The lower echelons (environment I was raised in) can have a falsely optimistic or fatalistic view of the world because they have no voice, are disempowered and uninformed (too busy working). They may choose to believe it's all gonna be alright in the end, because the alternative would be totally depressing. Chin up, cross your bridges when you come to them (the virus is a distant thing) and keep buggering on tends to be the attitude. In my experience.

 

Exactly. Adding to that, the north/central part of the country have another issue. Mass migration to cities poor suburbs in the 1960's and 1970's cut their old cultural bonds and sank them into a very poor cultural environment. It's incredible how I drive 5 minutes from my house in the seaside and people can barely articulate a thought. And at the same time, I drive 300km inland and I can have philosophical conversations with old people.

The same happened with people who came back from the colonies in 1974-75, 800.000 (10% of the population) within 1 year. They came without money and sank into a poverty and cultural void trap.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reviewing the covid death data for the first and second waves (before and after 31st August 2020) most European countries now have similar figures for both waves so far and given the current infection rates and active cases it seems likely that the second wave will prove more deadly. The major exception to that is Germany where to date there have been over four times more deaths in the second wave than from the first (9,371 and 38,069 resp.) and that despite improved treatments for the illness, The death rate in Germany (deaths per 1 million of population) remains one of the the lowest in Europe while Belgium has the highest of the major countries. It is also worth noting that the very high number of first wave covid deaths in the UK has continued through the second wave.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A question about the new and more contagious variants of Covid. How do they spread faster/easier? It seems to me that we should be distancing at least double the recommended 1.5 m or 6 ft. We should also be even more mindful of handwashing - perhaps more often.

 

ETA - I just saw where New Jersey is allowing smokers to get vaccinated -

 

 

Quote

 

As New Jersey expands its coronavirus vaccine distribution this week, state officials announced that anyone 65 or over can now get the shots, as well as those between 16-64 with certain medical conditions.

 

One group covered among those medical conditions, though, has raised backlash — namely, the state’s roughly 2 million smokers, who can now get the vaccine before teachers or public transit workers.

 

 

here

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

ETA - I just saw where New Jersey is allowing smokers to get vaccinated -

 

Clearly a result of tobacco industry lobbying. They already lose enough customers through consumption of their own product. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Almost a third of recovered Covid patients will end up back in hospital within five months and one in eight will die, alarming new figures have shown.

Research by Leicester University and the Office for National Statistics (ONS) found there is a devastating long-term toll on survivors of severe coronavirus, with many people developing heart problems, diabetes and chronic liver and kidney conditions.

Out of 47,780 people who were discharged from hospital in the first wave, 29.4 per cent were readmitted to hospital within 140 days, and 12.3 per cent of the total died.

 

 

link

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Almost a third of recovered Covid patients will end up back in hospital within five months and one in eight will die, alarming new figures have shown.

Research by Leicester University and the Office for National Statistics (ONS) found there is a devastating long-term toll on survivors of severe coronavirus, with many people developing heart problems, diabetes and chronic liver and kidney conditions.

Out of 47,780 people who were discharged from hospital in the first wave, 29.4 per cent were readmitted to hospital within 140 days, and 12.3 per cent of the total died.

link

 

 

But, but, but it's just a bad flu!

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, fraufruit said:
  Quote

 

Almost a third of recovered Covid patients will end up back in hospital within five months and one in eight will die, alarming new figures have shown.

Research by Leicester University and the Office for National Statistics (ONS) found there is a devastating long-term toll on survivors of severe coronavirus, with many people developing heart problems, diabetes and chronic liver and kidney conditions.

Out of 47,780 people who were discharged from hospital in the first wave, 29.4 per cent were readmitted to hospital within 140 days, and 12.3 per cent of the total die

 

Definitely worrying but without seeing the data perhaps not unexpected, given that the majority of recovered hospital patients are likely to be elderly and are statistically already more likely to  need hospitalisation and have a relatively low life expectancy. As far as I am aware the excess number of deaths in the UK for 2020 was approx. 14% higher than the average from the previous 5 years and from what I remember that came out at 91,000 which is not that much higher than the number of deaths attributed to covid.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Twenty-four hour vaccination sites

 

Does their public transportation run 24 hrs./day? Wouldn't work in Munich.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

 

Does their public transportation run 24 hrs./day? Wouldn't work in Munich.

Munich has a night line, runs over the night time with Trams and buses, OK only every hour. Although its not enough for everybody - the running times of the u-bahn/S-bahn would need to be improved

 

My Mother in the UK got her vaccination last Thursday, she got a taxi there and back, she was happy to pay it, even thou she has a car, because she thought maybe her arm would be acking. There are lots of vaccination centers in the UK, most people should be within 15 miles

 

I would happily drive to a vaccination center in Munich at 2 am, if I could get the vaccine, but I will have to wait a long time, it seems

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Munich has a night line, runs over the night time with Trams and buses

 

I know this. I live here. The night line doesn't cover much area - especially for over 70's going out in the middle of the night in winter for vaccinations.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

 

I know this. I live here. The night line doesn't cover much area - especially for over 70's going out in the middle of the night in winter for vaccinations.

 

All hypothetical given we currently have a curfew 9pm till 5am.;)

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t it also freezing and snowing and shit in the middle of the night right now? 
So old folks could freeze to death on the way to a vac appointment???

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of them will be night blind. Not people you wanna be on the roads with.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, john g. said:

Isn’t it also freezing and snowing and shit in the middle of the night right now? 
So old folks could freeze to death on the way to a vac appointment???

 

By the time they get going on the vaccinations it will be 25 deg C here!:o

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the vaccine has been rolled out it will be good to be able to get out and around, maybe even go to the cinema.

Talking of movies, has anyone seen 'I am legend'? Is it any good?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

 

By the time they get going on the vaccinations it will be 25 deg C here!:o

One day in Hamburg in August sometime in the  next ten years! 25!! Luxury!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

 

All hypothetical given we currently have a curfew 9pm till 5am.;)

 

Pretty sure that those with a vacc appointment paper in hand would not be arrested.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now