8,342 posts in this topic

For what it is worth

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot wants to open up restaurants and bars in Chicago.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-chicago-lightfoot-wants-restaurants-open-pritzker-20210114-mh6chxizsfgnbkwkypf6iyk6mi-story.html

Andrew Cuomo wants to open up New York.

Mainstream outlet Newsweek has published a piece explaining that lockdowns may have no clear benefit,

https://www.newsweek.com/covid-lockdowns-have-no-clear-benefit-vs-other-voluntary-measures-international-study-shows-1561656

citing this article.   https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eci.13484.    These researchers have been consistent in their message, but have been ignored up to now.

Wow, a major pivot in narrative just before the inauguration.   Listen to the science.    🤡

It's becoming a massacre in Portugal. Although the first lockdown went very well, the current government decided that politics now take priority over health officials.

Numbers started rising in October. Soft lockdown came in November. But it was an idiotic lockdown, not made to control the disease, but just to make it look so.

Restaurants, stores, schools and gyms kept running as usual until yesterday. At the same time, there were public curfews from 13:00 on weekends! Result? People would flood shopping centers and stores during the morning!

Then came Christmas and with no further meaningful measures, hell broke loose. We are now having >150 deaths per day. Total daily deaths is almost TWICE normal for this time, meaning many are unnacounted.

Finally the government enforced a harder lockdown yesterday, but looking closely, it's still bullshit. Schools are operating normally and it is very easy to have an exception for your business. They simply gave up on controlling it. They are waiting for the vaccine miracle.

At the same time, the ruling party is planting outdoor advertisements where they somehow take credit for things going well... as the press is mostly supportive of his party, and as the opposition has no technical expertise to counterargument, this farce continues.

Do they not have any News Channels to watch in portugal?

Although the government may not have been "hard enough", surely 2 things prevail here...

1...THE PUBLIC failed to look after their own situation/Safety... 

2... The PUBLIC failed to look after their own safety/ situation..

I dont need any government to tell me to avoid contact in such a situation...    

EDITED...    Are you now back in DE or Stuck in PT ?

Everyone flying to or via Schiphol, Amsterdam, must now have a recent negative test certificat to show. Before getting on the plane, all passengers will also have a quick test at the gate. So in theory, there shouldn't be anyone carrying the virus on a plane. I am still very worried about flying home, and it doesn't feel right - thinking of those who couldn't visit their loved ones. But I do need to get home.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Do they not have any News Channels to watch in portugal?

Yeah, multiple, but the general population watches the 3 major channels at night. They are all getting "covid money", so although more or less impartial (no CNN/FOX type of thing), they also don't ask any hard questions.

Although the government may not have been "hard enough", surely 2 things prevail here...

1...THE PUBLIC failed to look after their own situation/Safety... 

2... The PUBLIC failed to look after their own safety/ situation..

I dont need any government to tell me to avoid contact in such a situation...    

Problem is the public is confused with stupid regulations. And contrary to Germany, Portugal has a huge cultural gap between middle and lower class.

Lower class basically pretends Covid does not exist.

EDITED...    Are you now back in DE or Stuck in PT ?

Stuck. Schools closed in DE, so makes more sense for the moment to stay here, since I have help from family to take care of kid. But I will be flying very soon, to quarantine before of the potential February school opening. We are basically staying home, groceries and restaurant food delivered at home. Then a daily walk by the sunny beach and that's it.

36 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Then a daily walk by the sunny beach and that's it.

You will be sorry to have missed the snow here then, assuming it is gone when you get back.:D

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I don't know your source but I find it hard to  believe the U.S. number. It must be less.

Here from the original place 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-germany/scarce-doses-and-empty-vaccination-centres-germanys-vaccine-rollout-headache-idUSKBN29F0BP

Reuters is not the worst news out let

Here are some other examples.

https://www.statista.com/chart/23833/covid-19-vaccination-doses-per-100-people/

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/    - world table at the bottom

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/11/infographic-how-well-is-your-country-vaccinating-its-people

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-19-vaccination-rates-by-country-2021-1?r=DE&IR=T

By the way there is going to be a slow down in Biotech vaccines as they reduce production short term so they can upgrade and produce more vaccinw in the future

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55666399

Sure TRUMP liked to play the jerk, but to be fair he wanted operation WARP SPEED ( I think it was called ) - He pushed it hard to get the vaccines' out as soon as possible.

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

Seems like Germany has managed to get last place

Which is why a few pages back I stated surprise that no 24hr vaccinations etc,many people on this forum seem to have become Germanified (;)) and were saying about people working too long etc etc.

If anything fits the description of a national emergency then Covid pretty much does .

Germany needs to start relaxing some of its ridiculous bureaucracy and be prepared to bend if not break some of their anal habits.

55 minutes ago, yesterday said:

By the way there is going to be a slow down in Biotech vaccines as they reduce production short term so they can upgrade and produce more vaccinw in the future

Biontech will have their own production facility up and running in Feb.

Thanks for the links. I just keep seeing that the U.S. has over 31 million doses but only 12 million have gone in arms.

19 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Germany needs to start relaxing some of its ridiculous bureaucracy and be prepared to bend if not break some of their anal habits.

.Germany has done a very bad job protecting its citizens over COVID-19 but way better than France.

Of course the UK has done the most to protect its citizens with the vaccine, after doing a bad job early last year in protecting  people 

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I don't know your source but I find it hard to  believe the U.S. number. It must be less.

It‘s not.  Based on my age, health status, and the absolute incompetence the Germans are showing right now, the earliest I expect to be vaccinated is sometime in the first part of 2022.

So, I will travel to the US in late Spring/early Summer, and get vaccinated there, because vaccinations will be generally available.

46 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

It‘s not.  Based on my age, health status, and the absolute incompetence the Germans are showing right now, the earliest I expect to be vaccinated is sometime in the first part of 2022.

So, I will travel to the US in late Spring/early Summer, and get vaccinated there, because vaccinations will be generally available.

Same. The EU is a shit show on the vaccination front. They're already starting Phase 1b in my home state next week and are planning to start vaccinating the general population by May. I cannot understand how the EU/Germany have dropped the ball this badly, but it's an absolute disgrace and scandal that will end up costing a lot of lives. What a pity.

That's a good idea, if all German based Americans follow your example, then the rest of us will be bumped up the waiting list.

Just now, Wasteland said:

That's a good idea, if all German based Americans follow your example, then the rest of us will be bumped up the waiting list.

But by how much? The general population won't be eligible for a vaccine in Germany until fall at the very earliest. Some of the infographics being distributed had December 2021 for the general population, which is insanity, as it's quite possible those vaccinated in early 2021 may need another round of vaccinations in winter as with flu.

I read yesterday that pharmacies in the US like CVS and Kroger would be giving vaccinations without checking ID's. So anybody can get one. I have no idea how they will keep up with who was vaccinated or how they will follow up with second doses.