8,330 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

Where did you see this? 

Himself thinks he saw it on tagesschau.de.

6 minutes ago, Elljay said:

put in  rubberbands to lengthen them

How does one do that? A rubberband isn't long enough to go around the ear.

Unfortunately, one size fits all doesn't work with many things.

No, one size definitely doesn't fit all,  if you remember, I had so much trouble finding a mask that fitted me :), thought there was something wrong with my face. I meant joining the existing thingies with elastic band,knotting them in. 

31 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

How does one do that? A rubberband isn't long enough to go around the ear.

Unfortunately, one size fits all doesn't work with many things.

I would consider a surgery. Why not moving the ears a little bit closer to the face.

Just google "ear savers". You can crochet them, cut them out of felt, buy them...tons of options.

Denmark closed the border to the 10.000 or so commuters. If they live in Schleswig Holstein, then a -ve test no more than one week old will get you through.

If you live further away, then your test must be less than 48hrs old.

Rule announced Friday, to start Monday. Chaos and hundreds queuing at test station was the result.

Tagesschau.de now shows Bayern wants to test commuters (entering Bayern). They tried, and were stopped a while ago. Pres. Söder now wants to test the law again.

17 minutes ago, BonnBonn said:

Just google "ear savers". You can crochet them, cut them out of felt, buy them...tons of options.

I had a look at many different types on amazon. They all look like a big PITA for putting on/removing masks. Especially now when we are wearing ear warmers as well.

Nobody in this house sews or crochets. :rolleyes:

If you can sew a button on, you can just take a strip of felt, sew a button on one side, then fix (either a safety pin or just a staple or anything) one ear elastic to the other side. This would be no more trouble to get on and off than over the ears. Or, just suffer the ear elastics.

I ran a cord through all my masks that goes behind my neck and up over my head because I cannot tolerate the ear elastics.  I have this setup:

mask

and yeah, total PITA with hats and scarf, but oh well.

By making us wear these mandatory masks from next week, is this an admission that the current cloth ones are useless ?

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

But air comes out from the sides of the mask already, unfiltered.

If that´s the case you´re not wearing it correctly. Of course masks need to fit tight to fulfil their function. Otherwise it´s like building an electric fence against burglars but leaving the gate open.

I have triple layer cloth masks with a wire at the nose so they fit tightly. I made them myself to fit perfectly. It even has a pocket to add an extra filter. My co-worker wears an FFP2 so loosely that there is hardly 20 % of the mask in contact with the face.

Ugh.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I wonder how everyone will acquire them other than the over 60's who get them free at the pharmacies - but only 3.

They get discount vouchers for (I think) 15 masks.

I personally am using FFP3 masks. I mean, if I´m already wearing those damned things I can just as well wear those that really provide protection.

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

By making us wear these mandatory masks from next week, is this an admission that the current cloth ones are useless ?

No, they protect others, but not yourself. Just bought 2 FFP2 masks at a pharmacy for €9 total.

4 hours ago, jeba said:

If that´s the case you´re not wearing it correctly. Of course masks need to fit tight to fulfil their function. Otherwise it´s like building an electric fence against burglars but leaving the gate open.

With surgical masks it's impossible a tight fit. And they are the most common one.

29 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

With surgical masks it's impossible a tight fit. And they are the most common one.

And to add to that, the FFP2 masks are supposed to be fitted for each individual person to work correctly. While I get the idea that using the FFP2s is a good idea in theory, I am not sure it will make that much of a difference. Hopefully, I am wrong. 

6 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Of course. That´s one of the reasons they provide poor protection and why I suggested the use of FFP3 masks which will filter out more thann 99% of potentially infective particles (as opposed to 94% for FFP2).

South African corona strain detected in Baden-Württemberg

A coronavirus variant first identified in South Africa has been detected in Germany for the first time, the Social Affairs Ministry confirmed on Tuesday. The mutated strain of COVID-19 was detected in one member of a family that had recently returned to Germany after a long stay in South Africa. 

“After their arrival [on December 13], the family entered the required quarantine and got tested five days later,” a ministry spokesperson said. “Those tests were negative.” However, a week later, several members of the family developed mild symptoms of coronavirus, and now six people from three households have now been infected with the disease.

On Monday, genetic sequencing carried out at the Charité hospital in Berlin, on a swab from the first member of the family to fall ill, identified virus variant B.1.351 - the strain known as 501Y.V2 in South Africa, where it was first identified. Samples from other family members and those they have been in contact with are now being tested to determine whether the South African variant is present. 

On Tuesday, a further case of the South African strain came to light, involving a man in Bottrop, in western Germany. Similarly, he initially received a negative test result, but symptoms of the virus appeared shortly afterwards.