8,331 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Israel vaccinated more than 70% of elderly already. And 20% in general. At this pace, they might be able to protect the elderly within 2 weeks!

They turned it into a military operation. They are good at that.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

They turned it into a military operation. They are good at that.

This is clearly a military or industrial operation. Unfortunately most countries place it in the hands of the national health service.

I would accept  Israel   running Germany for a couple weeks/months, if they can get the vaccine in peoples arms, unlike the Germans who seem not to be able to organize a piss up in a brewery.

What is so hard about buy the stuff, put it in peoples arms

Even the UK has 2.6 million injections, the best of a large country in the world per captor The NHS will save lives 

11 hours ago, yesterday said:

world per captor

The UK are kidnapping them?

That's one way to stop people refusing the vaccination I suppose

15 hours ago, yesterday said:

I would accept  Israel   running Germany for a couple weeks/months, if they can get the vaccine in peoples arms, unlike the Germans who seem not to be able to organize a piss up in a brewery.

This.  OT, but related...after the “home schooling” debacle we all had to deal with last Spring, the mandate came down that the German States should implement distance learning capability if schools were to be closed again.

Here in Rheinland-Pfalz, the government took those steps, and put a Web Conferencing system with classroom capabilities in place.  But, instead of starting last Spring, they waited until Fall, and then scrambled to meet deadlines.  So, what did they pick?

Cisco Webex?  No.

Google Classrooms?  No.

Microsoft Teams?.  No.

Zoom?  No.

Forget those reliable systems from for-profit companies!  That’s not how we do it here!

Being typical Germans, they cobbled together a system from “Open Source” freeware, because it was free, and didn’t come from Big Tech.  The system went live on 4 January, and instantly crashed.  It has only been available sporadically since.

Meanwhile - my girlfriend is a teacher in California.  Her school district has been reliably running on Google Classrooms since April.

My son's school uses Seesaw. Its much more than web conferencing. They can post their work there, and concentrate all learning topics in a single app. I get notifications on the phone everytime he completes a relevant work, for example. Then I can review it, comment, etc.

https://web.seesaw.me/

Himself just informed me that, beginning Monday, we have to wear FFP2 masks in shops and public transportation in Bavaria.

I wonder how everyone will acquire them other than the over 60's who get them free at the pharmacies - but only 3.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Himself just informed me that, beginning Monday, we have to wear FFP2 masks in shops and public transportation in Bavaria.

I wonder how everyone will acquire them other than the over 60's who get them free at the pharmacies - but only 3.

You can buy them at the pharmacies as well!

I hope they have enough for all of Bavaria to purchase them by Mon. and that everyone can afford them.

As I said before, they are too uncomfortable for Himself to wear and I don't go out or do shopping so I haven't tried one yet.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

I hope they have enough for all of Bavaria to purchase them by Mon. and that everyone can afford them.

As I said before, they are too uncomfortable for Himself to wear and I don't go out or do shopping so I haven't tried one yet.

Airflow is definitely more restricted, not for use with heavy exercise for sure.

I used FFP-2 masks on a 13h flight to the Seychelles. No problem. I find them comfortable.

We bought to packages at our local DIY before the shutdown.

I also wear them at work (we only get the normal ones and want to decrease the risk getting Covid) and when we go shopping.

I have 3 masks in use. After one day I dry them for 70hrs and take the next one. On a package I read that they can be used for 40hrs or so.

I used FFP2 in my flight to Portugal but as they have a valve, they were not allowed by the flight crew, so we had to put a surgical mask on top :/

Anyone knows anyhing about valves not being allowed? And why?

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Ours don't have valves. 

Valves let your breath out without filtering it properly. At least that is what I've read.

I understand that. But air comes out from the sides of the mask already, unfiltered. I cannot feel any significant flow coming out of the valve. Also it is pointing down, in my perspective its the same or better than a surgical mask.

If the mask has valves and you Corona you will blow the stuff into the athmosphere.

Without valve the virus is kept within the fabric.

26 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Where did you see this? 

Edit: quoted the wrong thing, but what I mean is where did you see that Bavaria has to wear FFP2 masks?