7,331 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

At least it’s not as bad here (Germany) as the UK. Can’t leave house there without a valid legal reason. 

Same here in Greece and you have to fill in an Emergency Transportation Form before opening your front door or SMS the police.

No Greek in our village does this! Not one! Too busy olive harvesting anyway or too old and/ or illiterate to care. Most are no longer wearing masks. Becoming complacent...

Shame, lets hope Biden will start to make a difference, unlike the guy running the country at the moment who just has his head stuck  up his arse

On 05/01/2021, 21:35:41, yesterday said:

Shame, lets hope Biden will start to make a difference, unlike the guy running the country at the moment who just has his head stuck  up his arse

Well, that went well 😂 

On 1/5/2021, 9:32:25, fraufruit said:

One person dying from corona every 30 seconds in the U.S.

That poor bastard - can't they put him out of his misery?

Worrying news from London.

Covid-19: 'Major incident' declared by London Mayor Sadiq Khan

The spread of Covid in London is "out of control" according to Sadiq Khan, who has declared a "major incident".

The coronavirus infection rate in London has exceeded 1,000 per 100,000 people, based on the latest figures from Public Health England.

However, the Office for National Statistics recently estimated as many as 1 in 30 Londoners has coronavirus.

Mr Khan told BBC political reporter Karl Mercer that the figure is as high as 1 in 20 in some parts of London.

Major incidents have previously been called for the Grenfell Tower fire in June 2017 and the terror attacks at Westminster Bridge and London Bridge.

A major incident is any emergency that requires the implementation of special arrangements by one or all of the emergency services, the NHS or the local authority.

So we arranged to meet a couple of policemen at the beach today re two abandoned and heavily pregnant dogs and we made sure to put our masks on! 
The cops got out of their car, were helpful and friendly but I didn‘t dare to ask one of them why his mask wasn‘t covering his nose!!!

Living up North (Schleswig Holstein) has advantages (Part 117):

So a few weeks ago I picked up 3 free FFP2 masks from the Apotheke,

issued to me as an over 60. (Leaving out the pain I suffered as the young Apotheker

gave me the mask without me having to prove my age,,,)

Today I read in the newspaper (link below to NDR as my newspaper is not free online)

that I'll be getting a voucher in the post for another 12.

All over 60's get this. First print off millions of fake-proof vouchers. Then deliver them to 

both private and public Krankenkassen. They in turn deliver them in waves to the over 75's

then over 60's.

With a voucher in the hand, any Apotheker can then hand out the masks.

Full story NDR (German)

It works, you see. Not all gloom and doom.

Just takes a while in some cases.

5 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Living up North (Schleswig Holstein) has advantages (Part 117):  So a few weeks ago I picked up 3 free FFP2 masks from the Apotheke, issued to me as an over 60. (Leaving out the pain I suffered as the young Apotheker gave me the mask without me having to prove my age,,,)  Today I read in the newspaper (link below to NDR as my newspaper is not free online)

that I'll be getting a voucher in the post for another 12.

This is a German-wide federal government health ministry thing.

2 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

All over 60's get this.

It is not just over 60's. I'm not yet 60, but have asthma and needed to just fill out a short form (name, address, and DoB) to get them. 

2 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

(Leaving out the pain I suffered as the young Apotheker

gave me the mask without me having to prove my age,,,)

You're not alone - happened to me as well.

I think I had to put my DOB on the small Zettel to be filled out & cross "over 60" but I don't think she really looked at that.

Worse was back in December 2006 (when I was a few years short of 60) & we were at Kens Pancakes in Hilo, Hawaii.  On paying at the desk prior to departing the white-haired dark-skinned lady lent forward in a confidential manner & said very quietly "Sir, you do know we give 10% discount for the over 60s"...

Stupidly I was to honest.

On 05/01/2021, 01:01:37, MikeMelga said:

My father in law was a male nurse in Angola and he would vaccinate up to 300 persons in a single day. One helper preparing the vials, another coordinating people and a big long line. Its definitely not lack of people.

You dont need doctors to vaccinate. Except in Germany, where only doctors can properly use the needle...

You dont need social distance space! Just do drive in! Put the arm out, get the shot, move forward! Forms have to be filled in prio.

One parking lot to wait for turn, another to wait for potential side effects!

The Biontech vaccine can´t be handled like normal vaccines.  E. g. it needs to be protected from shocks during transport and must be resuspended without much fluctuations in pressure (like when it´s aspirated into the syringe). You mustn´t aspire before injection (usually done to make sure the tip of the needle isn´t inside a blood vessel) because that can already cause too much pressure fluctuation. Bavaria has been criticized for not letting pharmacists prepare the syringes. Not sure how it´s handled in other Länder.

Israel vaccinated more than 70% of elderly already. And 20% in general. At this pace, they might be able to protect the elderly within 2 weeks! Should be interesting to see how new infections evolve in the next few weeks there. The effect should be visible within 3-5 weeks.