8,360 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, jeba said:

I doubt that the number of people able to administer the vaccine is the limiting factor.

My father in law was a male nurse in Angola and he would vaccinate up to 300 persons in a single day. One helper preparing the vials, another coordinating people and a big long line. Its definitely not lack of people.

15 hours ago, jeba said:

It´s probably more a problem of enough doctors being available for potential emergencies (there were more than 10000 retired physicians recruited but not every retired physician will still feel capable enough for that), to explain risks and answering questions (necessary to obtain informed consent), space to keep people distant from each other while staying around after receiving their jabs (in case there should be an allergic reaction) etc.

You dont need doctors to vaccinate. Except in Germany, where only doctors can properly use the needle...

You dont need social distance space! Just do drive in! Put the arm out, get the shot, move forward! Forms have to be filled in prio.

One parking lot to wait for turn, another to wait for potential side effects!

57 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

You dont need doctors to vaccinate. Except in Germany, where only doctors can properly use the needle...

I think most German tattoo & piercing studios might contest that. There you go they can't work at the moment, give them €0,50 a shot and they will each do at least a 1000 a day, believe me. Not only that but in my experience they take much more care of hygiene than I ever seen at the doctors!

7 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Ad Infinitum! 

Just like your posts ;)

Seriously though this is once again Johnson knowing something is going to shit but not wanting to say or do anything about it until it has to be done or said.

On Sunday or maybe even Monday he was telling people they must send their kids to school and that schools are safe.What changed in the 24 hours that they then decided to lock them all down.

He really doesn`t like to say things that he thinks people will dislike him for,he says them when he has to and hopes people will think he has no choice.

And he seriously needs to stfu about how much it hurts him to say it or do it etc.It´s not about him.

5 hours ago, keith2011 said:

I think most German tattoo & piercing studios might contest that.

He was being sarcastic.

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Wrong. Even in Germany a nurse can vaccinate as long as authorized by a physician.

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

One parking lot to wait for turn, another to wait for potential side effects!

That would need even more space and you´d run the risk of adverse effects not being recognized.

4 hours ago, jeba said:

Wrong. Even in Germany a nurse can vaccinate as long as authorized by a physician.

It was sort of a joke... me and my wife had our blood taken several times by nurses in Germany and it was an absolute disaster. And when our son was 1 year old a pathetic nurse even managed to have squirting blood! I can assure you he went home with tinitus...

That would need even more space and you´d run the risk of adverse effects not being recognized.

Why? They can wait ouside the car with an umbrella. If they fall, doctors help.

You can easily find a venue with huge parking lots.

2 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

If they fall, doctors help.

If they fall and break their hip, arm, etc., doctors can help.

I get all my jabs and blood draws from the nurses at my GP. No problems in 30 yrs.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

I get all my jabs and blood draws from the nurses at my GP. No problems in 30 yrs.

Then you clough the health system for 6 or 9 months. This is an industrial process. Your doctor's office, assuming it has 4 docs/nurses, would have to vaccinate at least 400 people per day. Does it hold such space?

49 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Then you clough the health system for 6 or 9 months. This is an industrial process. Your doctor's office, assuming it has 4 docs/nurses, would have to vaccinate at least 400 people per day. Does it hold such space?

Clough??? What is a ravine doing in a doctor's waiting room?  Presume you mean  clog?

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

One doctor. Two "receptionists" who are nurses. Small office. No, he won't be a major vaccination center. He does manage to get enough flu shots for all of his patients who want them even in the years where they have been scarce.

6 hours ago, Keleth said:

He was being sarcastic.

So was I, well almost. Judging by the reports on TV showing the jab being given, it looks like a piece of cake compared to say finding a vein and taking a blood sample, should be no problem for anyone with a modicum of hygiene training.

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

One doctor. Two "receptionists" who are nurses. Small office. No, he won't be a major vaccination center. He does manage to get enough flu shots for all of his patients who want them even in the years where they have been scarce.

Last time I was at my doctors, I asked if they would do vaccinations and they said no because they don't have a -70C freezer but I think space would be a problem too.  They said vaccination centers will do them and I think it would be doable to set those up in community centers just like when they do blood donations.

17 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

So was I, well almost. Judging by the reports on TV showing the jab being given, it looks like a piece of cake compared to say finding a vein and taking a blood sample, should be no problem for anyone with a modicum of hygiene training.

It is injected into a muscle, no need to find a vein, so, yes, very easy.

These days Magen David Adom (the Israeli equivalent for Red Cross) is driving to the nursing homes to give vaccinations. I have been several times to their blood donation vans, they have normal "kitchen like" refrigerators there. I think they use the same vans for vaccinations: normal freezer+dry ice does the job for a day storage of the doses.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Astra Zeneca will probably be out by the time I get mine and then no special refrigeration needed. 

Moderna is now authorized for use in Israel, it can be kept in a kitchen freezer without dry ice (not above -15 C).

Today, German state leaders and Chancellor Angela Merkel are meeting to discuss the current coronavirus lockdown. Media reports indicate restrictions will be extended for three weeks until January 31. Official data released showed that the labor market in Europe's largest economy remained stable in December.

From DW

At least it’s not as bad here (Germany) as the UK. Can’t leave house there without a valid legal reason. 

5 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Why not jut vaccinate people who have appts for other stuff.

22 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Looks bloody painful too :)

Looks much the same as the flu jab (location and hypodermic needle size), if so then it should be nearly painless and no bleeding.