8,345 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Now everybody is talking about vaccine shortages !! How could this happen, are they just looking after the costs ??

The vaccine has only been approved since a few days.

If vast amounts had been ordered & then for whatever reason approval had not been given then you'd also be complaining about waste of funds.

Too many people (including media & politicians not in power) just like to complain.

Just now, Keleth said:

Would they lose as much money that they wouldn`t get back by getting the economy back on track a lot earlier?

It would be a waste of money to spend huge amounts for express production while not having the infrastructure and personnel to administer the vaccines.

43 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Fucking hell so you wouldn`t  just once get out of bed at that time to get a vaccination that will help you start getting your life back to normal.

You would rather wait a few more weeks for an 11am one so you can have a nice lie in ?

I am not talking about myself. I am talking about other people. I never have a lie in. I get up at 6 every morning. And always have done.

Think about other people who are not able to get up at 2 am. Older, sick people, for example. Or the bed-ridden or those without support. Without a friend or family  member without a car etc.

By the way, I am getting up at 3 am in a week’s time to be able to get to the airport to fly to Athens for an operation. The relevant department in Heraklion is closed because of that Covid bastard. 

1 minute ago, HEM said:

If vast amounts had been ordered & then for whatever reason approval had not been given then you'd also be complaining about waste of funds.

I should imagine though when they ordered it it was under the condition it got approval,I can`t see them blindly ordering a vaccine to be delivered no matter if it does what it says on the box or not.

38 minutes ago, HEM said:

The vaccine has only been approved since a few days.

I would never complain about that, for me if we have to throw away a bad vaccine, its sad but it needs to be done, to get out of these restriction as soon as possible

1 minute ago, john g. said:

I am not talking about myself. I am talking about other people. I never have a lie in. I get up at 6 every morning. And always have done.

Think about other people who are not able to get up at 2 am. Older, sick people, for example. Or the bed-ridden or those without support.

Unless Greece is totally fucking neanderthal bed-ridden people get it administered at home.

Or do you think the state calls out an ambulance and medical crew to take someone to hospital to get the vaccination.

In Germany anyone sick enough to have a carer visit get the vaccine at home.

Not here, babe.

The nearest hospital on Crete where it is starting is 2 hours’ drive away from our area.
This may change re accessibility. But not yet.

37 minutes ago, Keleth said:

I should imagine though when they ordered it it was under the condition it got approval,I can`t see them blindly ordering a vaccine to be delivered no matter if it does what it says on the box or not.

The UK ordered/produced 100 million doses  of the vaccine, before it was approved, they would pay for it even if it failed. Tomorrow they start with up to 1 rising to 3  million vaccinations per week. By Easter 30 or 40 % of the population can be vaccinated, thus meaning life can return to normal

Is that not worth a risk of losing your money on a dud vaccine

It could be the end of the year that Germany gets into the same position.

14 minutes ago, john g. said:

Not here, babe.

The nearest hospital on Crete where it is starting is 2 hours’ drive away from our area.
This may change re accessibility. But not yet.

The younger fitter people should not be prevented from getting the vaccine, because the older ones cannot get to vaccine center.

Of course an ambulance needs to sent to the older people who cannot get to the hospital, but do not wait until every older person has the vaccinated  before you start on the locals, near the hospital

4 minutes ago, yesterday said:

By Easter 30 or 40 % of the population can be vaccinated, thus meaning life can return to normal

Mix the vaccine with beer, re-open the pubs and 90% of the UK will be vaccinated within a week!

51 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Why of why, do the governments not say to the drug companies, produce as much as you can and we ( the Tax payers ) will give you the money for it, the Governments should say to them build new production facilities if necessary, we ( the tax payers ) will pay for it.

But no everybody is counts the pennies a ahead of the dead bodies.

Somebody is counting a lot of pennies.

https://www.insider-monitor.com/trader/cik1690927.html

Classic case of socializing risk and privatizing profit.   

Screenshot 2021-01-03 at 20.28.11.png

Just now, yesterday said:

By Easter 30 or 40 % of the population can be vaccinated, thus meaning life can return to normal

That is no where near enough for life to return to normal. 

Just now, yesterday said:

It could be the end of the year that Germany gets into the same position.

The EU decided to all start on the same day out of some weird sense of solidarity. Spahn gave flack to a nursing game that independently decided to start a day earlier. Germany's top virologist has already stated that he thinks that we are not going to be able to go back to normal anytime soon. You need to accept restrictions are here to stay for months.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Unless Greece is totally fucking neanderthal bed-ridden people get it administered at home.

Or do you think the state calls out an ambulance and medical crew to take someone to hospital to get the vaccination.

In Germany anyone sick enough to have a carer visit get the vaccine at home.

Basically, you have no idea of other countries’ realities. Not everyone lives in Germany. And you definitely don’t live in a Cretan village!😂

You are culture bound.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

2 am appointment? Most people would have a problem with that. 
Not everyone is 21.

Seniors in FL were camped out overnight waiting for their vaccines and I'm sure that is not the only place. They were in their 70's, 80's and 90's.

Nice and warm in Florida and  not every old person was there. And some will have forgotten their cancer appointments.

My partner who is going daily for the vaccination drive tells me that besides temperature, the teams also need to worry about shocks and vibrations for the whole bunch of injections while in transit from the big distribution centres to the Old age homes. Then they need to check if the cold chain was maintained to that point.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/vaccine/guideappa.pdf

There is a lot of protocol required and its not just going and injecting. It also involves documentation, filling up forms, explaining to each patient about the vaccine and its side effects, getting their consent, uploading all the data to a central server, etc and so the pace is slow as of now.

But they are getting better every day and with more supply, the speed would also increase. Also there is still a shortage of manpower in different departments ( they already have the retiree doctors working for them )

We have some sensitive equipment we need to ship worldwide. Before we start with production, we ship prototypes with data loggers that register acceleration, humidity, temperature, pressue, inside the case.

Then we check if the equipment arrived in good conditions and if not, if the shipping parameters were correct, i.e. no crazy shaking or dropping.

I guess they can use similar devices for the vaccines, although they are not cheap.

seems like a weird point to pick at john g. for.  I suppose everyone who jumped down his throat would themselves be happy to go to an appointment for anything, anywhere, at 2am?  Those people are free to argue about it but, fair warning, I won't believe you.  Most people wouldn't prefer to get on a midnight flight, have a doctor's appointment at 4am or do anything else in the middle of the night for that matter except be lying in their beds, and if you claim otherwise, I do not believe you.

The point may be moot anyway.  Throughout the entire crisis Germany has stayed true to its rigid observance of Sunday as a day of rest.  If they won't even do testing and analysis over the weekend and on holidays, what makes you think they're going to start doing 24 hour a day vaccinations?  I mean--unless you've read that somewhere, then, I stand corrected.  Otherwise, I think they'll do the thing during normal business hours as they do with any- and everything else, and be as inflexible on that point as they have been throughout.  Somehow I don't really see them working around the clock, even if they had the manpower, which they obviously don't.  So, moot.

They're vaccinating on weekends - even Sundays. I don't know the exact operating hours of the vaccination centers, but I'm pretty sure it's more than 8/day, which means more than one shift. 

As others have noted, even if there were enough vaccine, there would be a shortage of medical staff. Bundeswehr doctors and medics are already helping out and are somewhat overstretched. When my son had his test, two of the three people in the room were in Bundeswehr khakis. 

Throughout the entire crisis Germany has stayed true to its rigid observance of Sunday as a day of rest.  If they won't even do testing and analysis over the weekend and on holidays, what makes you think they're going to start doing 24 hour a day vaccinations?  I mean--unless you've read that somewhere, then, I stand corrected.

They actually officially launched the vaccination campaign last Sunday and I received my test results this summer on a Saturday at 4.45pm (I was really surprised that someone was working in the lab so late on a Saturday afternoon). The private company offering the quick test in Berlin at 2 locations advertised that they were open over the holidays.

Otherwise, I think they'll do the thing during normal business hours as they do with any- and everything else, and be as inflexible on that point as they have been throughout.  Somehow I don't really see them working around the clock, even if they had the manpower, which they obviously don't.  So, moot.

I don't think it is inflexible to allow personnel to get some time off to eat and sleep. There really is not enough manpower to offer 24 hour vaccines at the moment. If there is a bottleneck due to paperwork it would be in the evaluation of foreign qualifications and the hiring of qualified foreign trained staff.