8,361 posts in this topic

My paramedic friend in the U.S. just told me that they are "toe-tagging" in CA in some places. That is paramedic speak for triage - choosing who gets treatment and who doesn't.

27 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

And as regards Keleths comment, I have read it 5 times but it is so poorly written I cannot for the life of me figure out what he is getting at.

I believe his response to @optimista was mistakenly directed at you rather than at @balticus (it), someone he doesn’t care for. It’s probably time for everyone on TT to take some deep breaths and possibly break out the 🍷 🍺 or 💊, while remaining at home of course. 😂

2 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

@oscar 63, to whom @optimista is responding, is a secondary school teacher in his early 40s who has never appeared to be either a troll or a person who doesn’t take the pandemic seriously.  As a teacher he’s said he would like to get vaccinated ASAP.   And in his aforementioned comment I believe he was merely expressing empathy for teenagers rather than condoning what he knows to be dangerous behaviors.  The Pandemicitus here is alarming.  😱

Oops wrong quote.

7 hours ago, optimista said:

You are wrong on so many counts. Starting with your first bit of guess-work.

This was what I was referring to which seems to have been aimed at Balticus and his...

7 hours ago, balticus said:

I am going to guess that you don't have kids, and i really must wonder how you spent your teenage years

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

Have you considered reviewing exponential growth and probabilities with all of your classes? I think many people have trouble comprehending basic statistics. 

He could start with this one and then field the complaints from parents and school administrators.    COVID is a political topic and any information which doesn't scare the daylights out of the kids would be considered irresponsible.  

Deaths in Germany by Gender and Age.      https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105512/coronavirus-covid-19-deaths-by-gender-germany/

Screenshot 2021-01-03 at 17.56.05.png

Dig out some Lancet or Nature articles about transmission probabilities and comorbidities.    My guess would be that the students would be confused about the amount of fear that adults are pushing, but might decide that if even though asymptomatic transmission is observed at a much lower rate than symptomatic transmission, it might not be a good idea to visit elderly family or friends, based on the graph.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

It feeds its bordering on conspiracy theory ideas to it`s kids that`s why its kids are allowed to do what it wants basically.

Well really it pretends it has kids but that`s pretty much guaranteed to be a lie.

Thank you for your daily contribution of "angertainment".    I need to put my pronoun in my profile, "it".    😂

Please try to get your emotions under control, at least to the point that your grammar can be interpreted.    "It's" is the contraction of "it is" and not the possessive pronoun of "it".  

Now everybody is talking about vaccine shortages !! How could this happen, are they just looking after the costs ??

Why of why, do the governments not say to the drug companies, produce as much as you can and we ( the Tax payers ) will give you the money for it, the Governments should say to them build new production facilities if necessary, we ( the tax payers ) will pay for it.

For this virus to be stopped we are going to need 17 Billion does ( for the world ), we are never going to produce that under the current system, even if we give it to the 3 third for free, its worth it to get rid of this virus.

But no everybody is counts the pennies a ahead of the dead bodies.

11 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

at 18 would be coping with seeing the best months of my life

if the best year of your life was your 18th year, you're doing it wrong

One thing I can`t understand with the vaccination is why are the vaccination centres not 24 hrs.

I could only understand that if they don`t have enough people to staff them as I can`t imagine in this instance people would have a problem with a 2am appointment.

This is a once in a generation thing (I hope) and everything needs to be done as quick as possible.

7 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Why of why, do the governments not say to the drug companies, produce as much as you can and we ( the Tax payers ) will give you the money for it, the Governments should say to them build new production facilities if necessary, we ( the tax payers ) will pay for it.

For this virus to be stopped we are going to need 17 Billion does ( for the world ), we are never going to produce that under the current system, even if we give it to the 3 third for free, its worth it to get rid of this virus.

That would be a huge waste of money. 

They don't have enough trained personnel to administer the vaccines to everyone all at once and many poor countries don't have the infrastructure to handle a mass vaccination programme that requires cold storage at -70°.

4 minutes ago, Keleth said:

One thing I can`t understand with the vaccination is why are the vaccination centres not 24 hrs.

I could only understand that if they don`t have enough people to staff them as I can`t imagine in this instance people would have a problem with a 2am appointment.

The medical staff across the country and around the globe are already overstretched. Many states in Germany wrote to all retired doctors under 75 asking if they would be willing and able to help out. 

6 minutes ago, Keleth said:

This is a once in a generation thing (I hope) and everything needs to be done as quick as possible.

they are not producing enough of it -- that;s we do not 24 hour stations, they do not enough of it

The Uk, seems to have lots more of it than anyone else, for its size, but they will cock up the distribution and getting it into peoples arms

14 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

if the best year of your life was your 18th year, you're doing it wrong

Possibly the year some people lost their virginity! ( Though they probably did it wrongly!)😂

2 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Only if you think saving life's is not worth a dime

They don't have enough trained personnel to administer the vaccines to everyone all at once and many poor countries don't have the infrastructure to handle a mass vaccination programme that requires cold storage at -70°.

Call the Army doctors in, in the short term, train enough nurses to do it, we are talking about saving life's here

The medical staff across the country and around the globe are already overstretched. Many states in Germany wrote to all retired doctors under 75 asking if they would be willing and able to help out. 

Good, but its not complicated to do the injection, you do not need to be a doctor, somebody much less qualified person can do it, after a short trainings program.

15 minutes ago, Keleth said:

2 am appointment? Most people would have a problem with that. 
Not everyone is 21.

1 minute ago, john g. said:

Source?    or is that just your opinion?

6 minutes ago, yesterday said:

they are not producing enough of it -- that;s we do not 24 hour stations, they do not enough of it

What difference does it matter how much of it you have in regards to this ?

You get everyone you can vaccinate in say 7 days instead of 14 days.You just use up your stocks quicker.

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Good, but its not complicated to do the injection, you do not need to be a doctor, somebody much less qualified person can do it, after a short trainings program.

No but I know in the UK you do need to have someone medically qualified there due to adverse reactions etc.

7 minutes ago, john g. said:

Not everyone is 21.

Fucking hell so you wouldn`t  just once get out of bed at that time to get a vaccination that will help you start getting your life back to normal.

You would rather wait a few more weeks for an 11am one so you can have a nice lie in ?

2 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Source?    or is that just your opinion?

No source - opinion. Are you in the real world? Not everybody is healthy , has a car, has support, lives near a hospital , can leave a young child on its own.

A friend of ours  here is 80. Lives on his own. We support and he wants the vac but it is 2 hours drive from here. 
We - his friends - are all over 65..some around 75. 
How many people do you know who can go somewhere or even travel at 2 am? With or without support? How about the bed-ridden?

17 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Would they lose as much money that they wouldn`t get back by getting the economy back on track a lot earlier?

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

No, but some people will have complications and you need sufficient medical staff to take care of them. You also shouldn't be crowding everyone into small waiting rooms, and you need sufficient high quality refrigeration. Furthemore, the German vaccine needs a pharmacist to properly dilute it. Many qualified medical personnel are needed for vaccination, but at the same time they are also needed to run the hospitals, nursing homes, emergency services, etc.  It is not just a matter of producing more vaccines.

Vaccinating the world is a huge logistical nightmare. We know how the virus is transmitted, we can protect ourselves by following the protocols until a sufficient number of people have been vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, john g. said:

How about the bed-ridden?

Oh so the bed-ridden get an appointment during the day then to travel 2 hours etc ?