8,345 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

U.S. - horrible.

19 more days - then maybe some real measures will start. Keep up the hope.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

predictions for your respective different countries of residence for the next three to six months? 

 

I think in all countries where a significant proportion of the population observe holidays in December there will be a sharp rise in new infections, and, sadly, deaths.  And in countries that celebrate the Gregorian New Year as well.  There will have been so many intimate indoor festivities that it's hard to imagine the thing as a whole as anything other than a superspreader event.  People will unwittingly go back to work and carry the virus with them; the above mentioned regions will go through the so-called "third wave."  Shit will get real.

 

Germany will tighten its restrictions and extend the current shutdown past the 10th to an indeterminate date, promising to meet every two to three weeks to discuss further plans of action.

 

Germany will not begin to loosen restrictions until April.  Schools will stay open because they have to.  Kitas might close.

 

There will be no more hamstering.  People have got used to lockdown and hearing terrible things in the news.

 

We'll be wearing masks in shops and on public transport well into 2022.

 

/predictions

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

We'll be wearing masks on public transport well into 2022.

And in shops, supermarkets, public buildings as well as at the entrances to and the carparks of these places please - I see lots of people taking them off and they are not even out of the door. The same goes for getting on and off transport, at bus-stops and stations - many people have them around their necks and not covering their faces - and these are the places with a lot of movement and swirling air and exactly the time the mask should be left firmly in place. :( 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I think in all countries where a significant proportion of the population observe holidays in December there will be a sharp rise in new infections, and, sadly, deaths.  And in countries that celebrate the Gregorian New Year as well.  There will have been so many intimate indoor festivities that it's hard to imagine the thing as a whole as anything other than a superspreader event.  People will unwittingly go back to work and carry the virus with them; the above mentioned regions will go through the so-called "third wave."  Shit will get real.

 

I would say that the impact of the normal flu season is a factor, but end of year holidays not so much.  

52 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Germany will tighten its restrictions and extend the current shutdown past the 10th to an indeterminate date, promising to meet every two to three weeks to discuss further plans of action.

 

Sounds about right. 

 

52 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Germany will not begin to loosen restrictions until April.  Schools will stay open because they have to.  Kitas might close.

 

Schools will go between online and 3D in concert with the evolving restrictions, in my opinion.    Not sure about Kitas.

52 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

There will be no more hamstering.  People have got used to lockdown and hearing terrible things in the news.

 

Agree with the end of hoarding, but i believe that around half of the population believes that vaccines + lockdowns + masks + restrictions are going to work, and i don't share their optimism.  

 

When this 50% crosses the 10km finish line and is told that they have 32km to go, expect a meltdown or a change of collective attitude.  

52 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

/predictions

 

Thanks for putting a stake in the ground and best wishes for the coming year.   

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Medics are starting to see “whole wards of children” suffering from Covid for the first time during the pandemic, a senior nurse has warned.

Laura Duffell, a matron at King’s College Hospital, London, said the new strain of Covid was affecting children and younger adults with no underlying health conditions in worrying numbers.

She said: “It’s very different. That’s what makes it so much scarier for us as doctors, nurses and porters and everyone else who is working on the front line.

 

“We have children who are coming in. It was minimally affecting children in the first wave... we now have a whole ward of children here and I know that some of my colleagues are in the same position, where they have a whole ward of children with Covid.”

 

 

the rest

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

If this is true (I tend to look warily on this sort of article whether it`s from normal people or covid deniers) then it puts a bit of a spanner in the works to people who think only the vulnerable should be shielded and everyone else should get on with everyday life.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Keleth said:

people who think only the vulnerable should be shielded and everyone else should get on with everyday life.

That's about half the population around here judging by the number of people out and about, going about normal activities without a care, not to mention the number of people milling around without masks on or with them not on properly.

Quite a lot of people won't have the vaccination, a further proportion want to wait until most others have had it. Presumably this will speed things up for those of us who want it delivered more quickly. Let's hope so. Still it does mean a lot of people who haven't been vaccinated will still be about and about. As such the chaos will continue. :rolleyes: 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

That's about half the population around here judging by the number of people out and about, going about normal activities without a care, not to mention the number of people milling around without masks on or with them not on properly.

There`s a big difference between people who think "I´ll be alright" etc and those who actively try to get other people and the authorities to believe that everyone except for the vulnerable will be ok

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lunaCH said:

That's about half the population around here judging by the number of people out and about, going about normal activities without a care, not to mention the number of people milling around without masks on or with them not on properly.

Quite a lot of people won't have the vaccination, a further proportion want to wait until most others have had it. Presumably this will speed things up for those of us who want it delivered more quickly. Let's hope so. Still it does mean a lot of people who haven't been vaccinated will still be about and about. As such the chaos will continue. :rolleyes: 

 

Where is this? Where I am in Germany I only see people talking it more seriously than ever

 

(ie wearing masks even outside at spielplatzs etc)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are good about wearing masks in at least the required places where I am, and I think more are wearing them in the street than before

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The personally don’t blame teenagers for partying in all this. I don’t know how I at 18 would be coping with seeing the best months of my life Staring at the same 4 walls.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, optimista said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but some people are just thick.

https://www.rfi.fr/en/france/20210102-illegal-new-year-s-eve-rave-party-near-rennes-finally-ends

Sending in the army would have cost too much, but that is what they deserved, rubber bullets and all. Half of them got away scot-free. The rest had to pay 135 Euros. I would have whipped them.

 

I am going to guess that you don't have kids, and i really must wonder how you spent your teenage years.     Army, rubber bullets and whips?   

 

Young people have very little risk and they know it.   

 

Don't eat too much sugar or junk food, don't drink too much, don't smoke, don't drive too fast, do your homework, sit up straight, eat your vegetables, etc, etc.   Teenagers have found that ignoring these commandments in the short term is not only fun, but seemingly without consequence.   

 

Ignoring the lockdown rules is absolutely to be expected.   But any public health strategy which does not take into account human behavior, i.e. what people are going to do rather than what they should do, exposes the incompetence of the people developing strategies.

 

19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Medics are starting to see “whole wards of children” suffering from Covid for the first time during the pandemic, a senior nurse has warned.

 

Laura Duffell, a matron at King’s College Hospital, London, said the new strain of Covid was affecting children and younger adults with no underlying health conditions in worrying numbers.

 

the rest

 

This is fake news according to the BBC.   Given that there was no hard data in the original article, it is not surprising.  

 

In my opinion, Laura Duffell should receive the Neil Ferguson demotion for fear mongering, hysteria and undermining trust in public health officials. 

 

Doctors have sought to reassure parents that there has been no increase in the severity of Covid-19 cases among children because of the new variant.

The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) said children's wards are not seeing any "significant pressure" from Covid-19.

It comes after a London hospital matron told BBC Radio 5 Live of having a ward full of children with coronavirus.

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55518248

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are wrong on so many counts. Starting with your first bit of guess-work.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

The personally don’t blame teenagers for partying in all this.

Corona is deadly. Or can simply maim. Still not got it? Do rules only apply to others? Is being 18 (or 35) an excuse? Really??

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, optimista said:

Corona is deadly. Or can simply maim. Still not got it? Do rules only apply to others? Is being 18 (or 35) an excuse? Really??

It feeds its bordering on conspiracy theory ideas to it`s kids that`s why its kids are allowed to do what it wants basically.

Well really it pretends it has kids but that`s pretty much guaranteed to be a lie.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Keleth said:

It feeds its bordering on conspiracy theory ideas to it`s kids that`s why its kids are allowed to do what it wants basically.

Well really it pretends it has kids but that`s pretty much guaranteed to be a lie.

@oscar 63, to whom @optimista is responding, is a secondary school teacher in his early 40s who has never appeared to be either a troll or a person who doesn’t take the pandemic seriously.  As a teacher he’s said he would like to get vaccinated ASAP.   And in his aforementioned comment I believe he was merely expressing empathy for teenagers rather than condoning what he knows to be dangerous behaviors.  The Pandemicitus here is alarming.  😱

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

The personally don’t blame teenagers for partying in all this. I don’t know how I at 18 would be coping with seeing the best months of my life Staring at the same 4 walls.

 

I think you are being too lenient. Do you really think it would be better for them to become infected through their own irresponsible behaviour and pass it on to their grandparents?  All 4 of my grandparents were dead by the time I was 18, but I still think that I wouldn't have wanted to infect anyone else even at that age.

 

Have you considered reviewing exponential growth and probabilities with all of your classes? I think many people have trouble comprehending basic statistics. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I posted that before I watched the video on BBC that showed that people were travelling from all over Europe to travel to this rave.

 

I didn't know that, and obviously, this wasnt a bunch of 18 year olds having a drink in a local park. Inexcusable.

 

And as regards Keleths comment, I have read it 5 times but it is so poorly written I cannot for the life of me figure out what he is getting at.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now