8,342 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Elljay said:

MikeMelga also posted that article. I have been trying to find out who Kelly Björklund is, as  another source he's used is known Sweden basher and former the Local editor Maddy Savage, who mostly takes her "facts" from minor  right wing politicians. I haven't found much about Björklund. One poster said she didn't seem to exist before suddenly getting published in the Times, and now this. 

I am not debating that corona is bad in Sweden, I'm just not sure what could have been done differently, given our laws. I was shocked to find out some months ago that many care homes et cetera don't have doctors or even trained nurses, after a reorganisation of old peoples' homes , and it seems like government officials and Health Ministry hadn't realised either. That really should have been taken into consideration in the beginning and seen to. 

Reddit seems to think Kelly Bjorklund is an American.   She is a writer and human rights activist.    It seems difficult to find her credentials considering she criticizes people who are experts in public health and Epidemiology, e.g. Anders Tegnell and Scott Atlas.

People who refuse to look at excess deaths or current cases and deaths and accept her narrative at face value have been misinformed.   Relying on Foreign Policy, Time and Politico is a mistake and is the choice of political narrative over Science.  

By the way, Sweden is doing great and has dropped from number 14 to 17 in Deaths/Capita within Europe within the past 7-10 days.   Given current trends, its relative position within Europe will continue improving. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 17.12.48.png

@AlexTr No, sorry, never heard of the publication. And I always try to check on journalists, and in this case found nothing. @MikeMelga: I believe new laws are being made at the moment. That is, the process has started. Edit to say: no, @balticus, Sweden is definately not doing great. 

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

That is a very poor excuse. And even if your laws did limit it, what has been done in the past 11 months to change those laws? I guess none.

What excuse will you make when the Deaths/Capita in Portugal surpass those of Sweden?   You have a couple months to come up with something.   It should be as pathetic as your excuse for holiday travel.   

🤡

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

I´m calling this the "No bullshit graph", because it is a cumulative, normalized graph, there is no room for cherrypicking.

So you cherry picked four countries.   :lol:

Stop using Politico as a source and look at data.   

Stop looking at average population density and look at distribution.  

Scrutinize other countries' approaches and performances to the same degree you do for Sweden rather than giving them a free pass for conforming to the narrative.

Use science or admit that you reject Science when it contradicts your political beliefs.  🤡

Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 19.05.00.png

1 hour ago, Elljay said:

@balticus, Sweden is definately not doing great. 

Sweden is doing less worse than others.   The approach was courageous.    As time goes on, it appears that Sweden was one of the few countries which actually followed Science.  

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I´m calling this the "No bullshit graph", because it is a cumulative, normalized graph, there is no room for cherrypicking.

Thank you, as always, for your clear statistics.

@Elljay: #disengage

4 minutes ago, Metall said:

Thank you, as always, for your clear statistics.

When M2's stats speak for themselves, he won't be using profanity.    

4 minutes ago, Metall said:

@Elljay: #disengage

Have a great day, Metall!    🤡

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

And a new race begins...

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Israel´s pace should put shame in most EU countries... in Portugal there is a lack of ambition. With the current projections it will take 2 years to achieve immunity!

Ha ha.

i will enjoy obsessively tracking this data 

The very high number of new infections in the UK recently is very worrying. The number of deaths since 31st August is still less than prior to that date but with the infection rate out of control and with hospital admissions having already exceeded that of the first wave it can be expected to rise much higher. Much of this is blamed on the new variant of Covid but there seems little scientific study to quantify what they mean by "more infectious".

The high number of deaths since 31st August in Germany, now over 2 times more than the first wave, also is not very hopeful and it looks to be too early to see any improvement in the new infection rate resulting from the stricter lock-down.

Elsewhere the situation in France and Belgium looks much improved but most other countries in Europe look to be in the balance.

Did you guys also wonder about the low number of deaths in Russia? Russian government now admitted the mistake with the low number of deaths reported. Instead of 55,000 it's now corrected to 186,000 (3x as many). Before, the statistics only counted people with corona if this was proven by autopsy.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I believe nothing that comes out of Russia, China, North Vietnam or Trump.

I would change North Vietnam to North Korea, and otherwise I totally agree.  🤣  

10 hours ago, keith2011 said:

The very high number of new infections in the UK recently is very worrying. The number of deaths since 31st August is still less than prior to that date but with the infection rate out of control and with hospital admissions having already exceeded that of the first wave it can be expected to rise much higher. Much of this is blamed on the new variant of Covid but there seems little scientific study to quantify what they mean by "more infectious".

The high number of deaths since 31st August in Germany, now over 2 times more than the first wave, also is not very hopeful and it looks to be too early to see any improvement in the new infection rate resulting from the stricter lock-down.

Elsewhere the situation in France and Belgium looks much improved but most other countries in Europe look to be in the balance.

yep and 53,000 new infections in the UK today

this 5HiT is serious 

I love it when everybody refers to the new UK COVID 19 virus, when actually it was just discovered there, might of come from somewhere else, but they did not notice.

9 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I would change North Vietnam to North Korea, and otherwise I totally agree.  🤣  

Thanks again for noticing my mistakes!!!

On 26.12.2020, 16:43:54, Elljay said:

I am not debating that corona is bad in Sweden, I'm just not sure what could have been done differently, given our laws.

On 26.12.2020, 17:15:28, MikeMelga said:

That is a very poor excuse. And even if your laws did limit it, what has been done in the past 11 months to change those laws? I guess none.

Hahaha, maybe Swedish authorities are listening to this forum!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1228/1186683-coronavirus-covid19-world/

The government, which has controversially relied on mostly non-coercive measures during the pandemic, said the new law would enable it to close down businesses, shopping malls or public transport.

There goes the argument that the government couldn't lockdown due to the constitution!

Happy new year all. 

predictions for your respective different countries of residence for the next three to six months?