8,342 posts in this topic

Then the someone should be held responsible for delaying the roll out of the vaccine!   Then shot or hung up by the bollox..!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Then the someone should be held responsible for delaying the roll out of the vaccine!   Then shot or hung up by the bollox..!

From what I know it´s the testing etc that takes the time not developing the vaccine.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That company is specializing on custom immunotherapy treatments. Meaning they adapt the medicin to each customer. That is why they invested in mRNA and with that knowledge they can make a new drug every day.

 

I think mRNA has a very bright future ahead. Before Corona, there was little money going into that research field. Now they will atract so much financing that this can speed up cancer development by decades. My personal gut feeling is that most cancers will be treatable within 5-10 years.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting read...

Quote

But private emails seen by Foreign Policy, some of which have been previously reported in the Swedish press, reveal that Sweden’s health authorities were resigned to mass infections—so called herd immunity—all along, and no matter the costs.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/12/22/sweden-coronavirus-covid-response/

 

Quote

Contrary to the expectations of Tegnell and others, the quest for herd immunity neither materialized nor shielded Sweden from the ravages of a second wave in the autumn. The Public Health Agency’s reports from June showed the level of people with coronavirus nationwide to be 7.1 percent, far from the 60-75 percent experts say is needed.

 

These guys will probably be saved by the politicians. The PM prefers to blame the right wing government which was last in power 6 years ago...

https://www.politico.eu/article/stefan-lofven-sweden-coronavirus-escape/

 

Quote

It was a sign of how Löfven plans to play the fallout of a pandemic that has so far cost more than 8,000 Swedish lives. He isn’t going to blame his own ministers, or the Public Health Authority and its chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell, in the first instance.

Instead, Löfven looks set to push a narrative that eight years of center-right rule between 2006 and 2014, when his Social Democrats took over, undercut funding for elderly care and left it vulnerable to the pandemic.

I wonder how a government 6 years ago prevented them from forcing mask use.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

the quest for herd immunity neither materialized

Tegnell has been saying for months that they nver intended going after herd immunity.

Also what people forget is they couldn`t enforce a lockdown without changing their constitution which they didn`t want to do but they have been talking about doing exactly that.

Sweden is the straw man argument for anti lockdowners.It has no real substance behind it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

These guys will probably be saved by the politicians. The PM prefers to blame the right wing government which was last in power 6 years ago...

https://www.politico.eu/article/stefan-lofven-sweden-coronavirus-escape/

 

I wonder how a government 6 years ago prevented them from forcing mask use.

 

59 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Sweden is the straw man argument for anti lockdowners.It has no real substance behind it.

 

Sweden has moved from 14 to 17 on this list since the last time i posted it 7 - 10 days ago.    They were right and you are quoting politicians, not scientists.   

 

Virus is gonna virus.

 

Listen to the science.   🤡

 

 

Screenshot 2020-12-25 at 18.20.36.png

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids turnded up, dauagter is a nurse, she got them all  tested bfore coming, negeative.

 

Best Xmas Ever.

 

Edit: Total suprise, we'd cancelled Xmas.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, john g. said:

Since when HAS virus BEEN a verb?

:P

:lol:

Well now I think about it, possibly since I had it.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, optimista said:

Since when was virus a verb?

 

11 hours ago, john g. said:

Since when HAS virus BEEN a verb?

:P

 

In the meantime, i realize i have the auxiliary verb wrong and "virus is gonna virus" should be "virus gonna virus".    My copy of 501 English Verbs is so old that it doesn't contain the verb "gonna".    :lol:

 

The general construct is used to mean that the entity is going to do what is in its nature to do and the phrase is often expressed when people are surprised or shocked to find that the entitiy is behaving exactly as one should expect.   

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, optimista said:

:lol:

Well now I think about it, possibly since I had it.

Didn't you lose your sense of taste and smell?   🤔

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, balticus said:

 

 

In the meantime, i realize i have the auxiliary verb wrong and "virus is gonna virus" should be "virus gonna virus".    My copy of 501 English Verbs is so old that it doesn't contain the verb "gonna".    :lol:

 

The general construct is used to mean that the entity is going to do what is in its nature to do and the phrase is often expressed when people are surprised or shocked to find that the entitiy is behaving exactly as one should expect.   

 

" ... he will do

 As he do do

And there's no doing anything about it!"

T.S Eliot, "The Rum Tum Tugger."

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Betting on Sweden was a bad idea.

 

The inside story of how Sweden botched its coronavirus response.

 

Quote

And the result has been deadly. While countries such as the United States, Brazil, and India have made headlines for recording the highest number of coronavirus-related fatalities, Sweden’s death rate of over 80 per 100,000 people is among Europe’s highest and is around 10 times as great as those of Norway and Finland, and over four times Denmark’s. COVID-19 hospitalizations are now rising faster there than in most European countries, and Sweden is caring for more patients in hospital now than it did at the height of its first wave. By Dec. 21, Sweden had surpassed the United States and all major European countries in its daily confirmed cases per million. Things have gotten so out of control in Sweden that neighboring Norway, for the first time since World War II, put troops on the border to prevent Swedes from crossing over.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s Nov. 19 report concluded that Sweden fared worst among 35 European countries in multiple coronavirus management metrics including lowering the spread of infection, reducing people’s mobility, and discharging patients from intensive care units.

Sweden’s true handling of the pandemic matters, and not just because of how it has impacted its population of just over 10 million. Around much of Europe, and especially in the United States, Sweden’s hands-off approach to a deadly pandemic was, for some, a model to emulate. U.S. President Donald Trump’s coronavirus advisor Scott Atlas, for example, publicly hailed Sweden’s approach as a model, even as its catastrophic performance—especially when compared to its neighbors—becomes ever clearer.

 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MikeMelga also posted that article. I have been trying to find out who Kelly Björklund is, as  another source he's used is known Sweden basher and former the Local editor Maddy Savage, who mostly takes her "facts" from minor  right wing politicians. I haven't found much about Björklund. One poster said she didn't seem to exist before suddenly getting published in the Times, and now this. 

I am not debating that corona is bad in Sweden, I'm just not sure what could have been done differently, given our laws. I was shocked to find out some months ago that many care homes et cetera don't have doctors or even trained nurses, after a reorganisation of old peoples' homes , and it seems like government officials and Health Ministry hadn't realised either. That really should have been taken into consideration in the beginning and seen to. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

18 minutes ago, Elljay said:

MikeMelga also posted that article. I have been trying to find out who Kelly Björklund is, as  another source he's used is known Sweden basher and former the Local editor Maddy Savage, who mostly takes her "facts" from minor  right wing politicians. I haven't found much about Björklund. One poster said she didn't seem to exist before suddenly getting published in the Times, and now this. 

I am not debating that corona is bad in Sweden, I'm just not sure what could have been done differently, given our laws. I was shocked to find out some months ago that many care homes et cetera don't have doctors or even trained nurses, after a reorganisation of old peoples' homes , and it seems like government officials and Health Ministry hadn't realised either. That really should have been taken into consideration in the beginning and seen to. 

 

Are you not familiar with Foreign Policy magazine? Do you not trust their journalistic integrity? Is Time more to your liking?

 

It certainly appears the statistics stated are correct.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Elljay said:

I am not debating that corona is bad in Sweden, I'm just not sure what could have been done differently, given our laws.

That is a very poor excuse. And even if your laws did limit it, what has been done in the past 11 months to change those laws? I guess none.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now