9,047 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, yesterday said:

as they make money on each vaccinated person.

Which is not unreasonable - many people have been working hard (not just 9 to 5) on this - is it expected that they do this for no pay?

Just as with the flu, covid will be around from now on. And as with the flu, vaccines will be all there is to prevent a pandemic from happening.

The covid vaccines will be updated each year, just like the flu jabs, in the hope that they cover known mutants.

Herd immunity is the only answer to opening the economy fully.

Just now, HEM said:

Which is not unreasonable - many people have been working hard (not just 9 to 5) on this - is it expected that they do this for no pay?

In a Global pandemic, some countries are doing this at cost, so as many parole can get this vaccine as possible and not just looking to make as much money as possible.

The UK AstraZeneca vaccine will be produced at cost, so as many people can  get it even in the third world.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55170756

Basically, 

Modena 37$ a shot you need 2

BinHtech      19 $         "

Astrazenica    8 $          "          "

Particularly, when you consider the governments have given these firms large amounts of TAX payers money to develop these vaccines, and now some people think its right that the share holders take a big fat profit.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Neighbour's father passed away yesterday from it. Absolutely not worth the risk with a vaccine around the corner.

Agreed, however its going to be a long corner, people under 50 probably will not get the vaccine until September 2021, and that's if everything goes to plan.

Personally I am sick of waiting, but know I will have to wait at lot longer, means another year of no real foreign holidays

3 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

WHEN ARE WE GETTING IT

(early 40's, teacher -so budge me up the line pls - near Berlin)

You will be in phase 4 of vaccination, ie. the last phase. Perhaps phase 3, because you're a teacher. 

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

In a Global pandemic, some countries are doing this at cost, so as many parole can get this vaccine as possible and not just looking to make as much money as possible.

The UK AstraZeneca vaccine will be produced at cost, so as many people can  get it even in the third world.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55170756

Basically, 

Modena 37$ a shot you need 2

BinHtech      19 $         "

Astrazenica    8 $          "          "

Particularly, when you consider the governments have given these firms large amounts of TAX payers money to develop these vaccines, and now some people think its right that the share holders take a big fat profit.

Pfizer got no US government money. Please stop that line of thought.

If there is no prize, there is no innovation. Vaccine business is a very small percentage of pharma revenue. If you asked them, they would prefer to get no money and have no such pandemic in the first place.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but there is another new variant of the vaccine that is more contagious than the other new variant. It's coming from South Africa and 2 cases have been found in the UK. Both had been in South Africa. Still not much known about it.

I watched the British health secretary's presser a while ago. New tiers being implemented because of the numbers. Too late, of course.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Pfizer got no US government money. Please stop that line of thought.

If there is no prize, there is no innovation. Vaccine business is a very small percentage of pharma revenue. If you asked them, they would prefer to get no money and have no such pandemic in the first place.

If you have read the link I posted you would of found this

Capture.JPG.7ff81d901ce4971de99223809050

As you can see Pfizer got about 20-25 % of TAX payer funding for the vaccine

What is a joke is the Moderna, vaccine is the most expensive, and the US Government paid almost 95 % towards the vaccine

I bet the share holder will have a big smile on there face

Again read the information I posted, you can learn from it.

19 minutes ago, yesterday said:

As you can see Pfizer got about 20-25 % of TAX payer funding for the vaccine

Pfizer got nothing. Zero. They even refused money.

BioNTech got 375M€ from the German government (that´s what is in that chart) for scaling up production in Germany. Otherwise the vaccine would have been produced in US, not in Germany. Basically the German government was paying to have home production, which makes it a bargain.

6 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Pfizer got nothing. Zero. They even refused money.

BioNTech got 375M€ from the German government (that´s what is in that chart) for scaling up production in Germany. Otherwise the vaccine would have been produced in US, not in Germany. Basically the German government was paying to have home production, which makes it a bargain.

I far as I understand BioNTech, invented the vaccine and partnered with Pfizer,  to make and distribute the vaccine, in large numbers. So why do think Pfizer should get so much for basically doing nothing more than their standard business profile. Pfilzer are just middle men, creaming of as much as they can from the work BioNTech did and got Government support

Astrazenica  vaccine, will be used in most places as its produced at cost, as long as it get approval of course, Today it ws submitted for formal approval in the UK, may time to sell your shares in Pfizer 

5 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

WHEN ARE WE GETTING IT

(early 40's, teacher -so budge me up the line pls - near Berlin)

You'll receive a letter when your turn is coming up, but you need to be patient. There are literally millions ahead of you on the priority list.

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

You'll receive a letter when your turn is coming up, but you need to be patient. There are literally millions ahead of you on the priority list.

please educate me on this

How do they know who to send the letter too ?

For me, I am 58 with Asthma, how do they know, that I have asthma ?, do they get it from my Doctor, who gives me asthma treatments ??

Or am I supposed to register somewhere ?

I have talked to my doctor, nut they know nothing 

Thankyou, if you can clear up how its all done ?

7 minutes ago, yesterday said:

please educate me on this

How do they know who to send the letter too ?

For me, I am 58 with Asthma, how do they know, that I have asthma ?, do they get it from my Doctor, who gives me asthma treatments ??

Or am I supposed to register somewhere ?

I have talked to my doctor, nut they know nothing 

Thankyou, if you can clear up how its all done ?

Not sure how it will work here in Germany but the logical way you would think should be much the same as in the UK. My mother got the first injection yesterday, her GP contacted her by phone and offered an appointment at a mass immunisation centre temporarily set up in the local town hall. My mother reported that it was all carried out very efficiently and timely. It therefore looks like the GPs in the UK are involved and most likely prioritise which of their patients get the vaccine and when.

The U.S. government gave money by reserving millions of doses and paying in advance. They did not pay for any R & D.  Purely a business deal. Other countries have done the same with vaccines.

29 minutes ago, john g. said:

Just wondering if Captain Bob has had the jab!

He already survived it, so I guess he built up some antibodies.

For me, I am 58 with Asthma

There are over 8 million people in line ahead of you including everyone over 80 as well as first responders, residents in care homes and those who take care of them. Vaccinating them will take a month or two. It is not even clear whether your asthma is sufficiently severe to receive preferential treatment because of it. 

Wait a a couple of weeks and info should be available on the website of your local Gesundheitsamt.

Anyone being vaccinated due to their profession or job should ask their employer.

Only people over 80 who are not living in a care home need to consider contacting anyone at the moment (it might be better to wait a week because the letters might be mailed soon, but the exact procedure varies by state). 

BTW, Berlin has already published an online FAQ.

https://www.berlin.de/corona/impfen/faq/

5 hours ago, dom said:

Just as with the flu, covid will be around from now on. And as with the flu, vaccines will be all there is to prevent a pandemic from happening.

The covid vaccines will be updated each year, just like the flu jabs, in the hope that they cover known mutants.

Once someone has had the initial 2 doses, will only one jab be necessary per year?