9,047 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, bramble said:

How about reporting the actual facts. Not only Brits, but anyone with a foreign passport was sorted out.: https://www.hessenschau.de/wirtschaft/einreisestopp-rund-120-passagiere-aus-grossbritannien-uebernachten-am-flughafen,corona-flughafen-grossbritannien-100.html

So the new mutation is repelled by a German passport rather than attracted to a British passport. 

Considering that quarantining is self regulated, the amount of fear mongering over this new deadly mutation might be a bit overdone.   🤡

On 12/21/2020, 10:18:14, oscar 63 said:

this mutation is already everywhere. Most countries just aren’t testing for it.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Do you have a link for the fact that the mutation is everywhere?  I always think assertions are better when supported.

I have been reading about that too.  Pretty interesting actually.  

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-19-more-countries-detect-mutated-uk-coronavirus-strain/a-560092

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/22/cdc-says-new-covid-strain-in-uk-could-already-be-circulating-undetected-in-us.htm

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/12/22/948961575/what-we-know-about-the-new-u-k-variant-of-coronavirus-and-what-we-need-to-find-o?t=1608710895275

On 12/21/2020, 10:42:21, keith2011 said:

I suppose some people might think that the UK travel ban, particularly the HGV one by the French had something to do with the brexit trade negotiations rather than obviously the reaction to a new mutation of the virus that is already rampant pretty much everywhere else in Europe.:o

Yeah, the unusual suspects who either have an axe to grind or are thick as mince. 

Or both! 

2 hours ago, balticus said:

So the new mutation is repelled by a German passport rather than attracted to a British passport. 

Considering that quarantining is self regulated, the amount of fear mongering over this new deadly mutation might be a bit overdone.   🤡

Now they've started something.

Is this gonna become the new SOP when travelling?

You have to show your vaccination passport to enter a country. 

I guess, that would be the death of FoM and Schengen. 

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

It's almost certainly circulating outside the UK but it's "out of control" in the southeast of England (Health Secretary Hancock's words, not mine).

It's entirely prudent to at least try to firewall ourselves from the worst of it as the vaccine is being rolled out to our most vulnerable citizens starting this weekend.

The UK approach early on was one of just letting it run rampant and we saw how ineffective that was. The UK lost a lot more human beings, people, mother's fathers, sisters and brothers than it needed to. It's not pointless trying to suppress the rapid spread if this new variant, at least until we know for sure that we also have the same sort of prevalence in the EU.

It's all about buying time now.

You can't travel from Kent to Cardiff so why would it be expected that you could freely travel from Kent to another country?!

I saw Dr. Fauci talking about the mutation yesterday. Pfizer/Biontech thinks that the current vaccine will cover it but not sure. No problem, they say. They can tweak the vaccine to cover it if needed.

My question - What about all the people who have already received the first dose of the current vaccine? How will they tweak them?

17 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I saw Dr. Fauci talking about the mutation yesterday. Pfizer/Biontech thinks that the current vaccine will cover it but not sure. No problem, they say. They can tweak the vaccine to cover it if needed.

Well they are selling the vaccine, so until there is some evidence that their vaccine does not work on the new strain, then will say that won't they. as they make money on each vaccinated person.

It seems Europeans are the most skeptical about the vaccine and that is one of the reasons that the EU has taken longer to OK the vaccine and let more people die.

45 minutes ago, balticus said:

Apparently there is a bill in France to ban the unvaccinated from public transport.  

https://amp.france24.com/en/europe/20201222-covid-19-french-bill-could-ban-unvaccinated-from-public-transport

Well, if the article below is true, then public transport is going to be rather empty.

French opposition to Covid-19 vaccine grows as government unveils campaign  (04.12.20)

More than 50 percent of French people do not intend to get vaccinated against Covid-19 when the jab becomes available, according to several surveys, which show a reticence on the rise. It comes as France is set to roll out its nationwide vaccination campaign on 1 January. 

One of the polls, conducted by Ifop for the weekly Journal du Dimanche on 28 November found that 59 percent of French people did not plan to get inoculated against the coronavirus.

After accusations of mishandling the Covid crisis from the outset, in terms of masks and mass testing, the French government is keen to convince the public that it has things under control.

19 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

It seems Europeans are the most skeptical about the vaccine and that is one of the reasons that the EU has taken longer to OK the vaccine and let more people die

It looks that way.

High levels of take-up are needed for the vaccine to be effective and both in the UK and parts of Europe that's not really likely.

Whether fast tracking it or waiting to go through all the usual stages to build trust will make an actual difference to the numbers willing to be vaccinated will be hard to judge in the end, I guess, life being complicated.

Been in Portugal for a few days. The containement measures are plain stupid.

On one hand, they force mask usage on the street and closed all restaurants.

On the other hand, shopping malls and gyms are open!

I think they just gave up to do anything reasonable, they are just pretending to do stuff until the vaccine arrives.

This is weird, as the measures on the first wave were stronger and it worked extremely well. For the second wave, the government took 1 month too long to act and only closed some symbolic venues.

Stupid stuff is going on everywhere. My neighbors are having 2 different non-related households come together on several consecutive days.  You can do some nice spreading that way, and all of it legit.  🙄  Many people simply convince themselves that their behaviors are okay without really thinking things through.  How it will all shake out remains to be seen.  🙏🤞

OK time to stop being polite.

VACCINE

My auntie is 80 in a care home in north london, shes getting it next week.

My parents (late 70;s, also N London) are getting it by end Feb. Some of their friends have already had it.

WHEN ARE WE GETTING IT

(early 40's, teacher -so budge me up the line pls - near Berlin)

It appears that employers can require workers to get the vaccine in the U.S. It doesn't mean that they will, though.

On Dec. 16, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) confirmed that a COVID-19 vaccination requirement by itself would not violate Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). That law prohibits employers from conducting some types of medical examinations.

“If a vaccine is administered to an employee by an employer for protection against contracting COVID-19, the employer is not seeking information about an individual’s impairments or current health status and, therefore, it is not a medical examination,” the EEOC says.

here

I have seen/heard this from multiple sources.

A few prats on instagram landed ''back home'' in Rio. Just landed so ''not seeing family yet -quarantining until sure feel OK''

90 minutes later, photos on the beach, no mask on, then off to a nice restaurant.

Nice. Don't risk infecting your family just the general public instead then.

i refuse to believe 60% of the French are really that dim. what is the percentage in DE?

55 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Stupid stuff is going on everywhere. My neighbors are having 2 different non-related households come together on several consecutive days.  You can do some nice spreading that way, and all of it legit.  🙄  Many people simply convince themselves that their behaviors are okay without really thinking things through.  How it will all shake out remains to be seen.  🙏🤞

The same here. My daughter and grown-up granddaughter are visiting me Christmas Eve - only the three of us. Now suddenly my granddaughter has also been invited to spend Christmas Eve with her boyfriend's family, so she'll be joining them after she leaves here. Originally she was invited to visit them on Christmas day, but now they have planned to visit other relatives on Christmas day and Boxing day. 

The idiots who get lucky and don't get sick will never even realise it was those of us who reduced our contacts responsibly that saved them and their families' arses.

We were invited by my sister-in-law to their place for the 26th. She is a nursery teacher who has worked up until yesterday.

My wife was automatically put under pressure by her sister. I simply listened to the DE health minister and R-K institute president: "stay at home; do not visit relatives if it is not essential to do so!" - my cousin has died from covid aged 47. It's not worth the risk.

Neighbour's father passed away yesterday from it. Absolutely not worth the risk with a vaccine around the corner.