6,640 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

So, who reckons that The chancellor of the exchequer or his wife, has some financial involvement in BioNtech?

Or Pfizer, like me. :rolleyes:

Looks like UK will get the vaccine in am arm next week 

While Germany will not get it until new year.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb/germany-seeks-covid-vaccine-doses-beyond-eu-deal-allocation

The 27-member EU has slipped behind the U.K. -- and most likely the U.S. -- on its timeline for vaccine approval. Britain’s regulator signed off Wednesday on the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, while the U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisers will consider emergency authorization for the inoculation Dec. 10. European authorities have given themselves until Dec. 29 to review the application.

Imagine if there were a pill you could take that let you fly, but the side effects gave you cancer..   Cancer cases would skyrocket

In the meantime, I hear there's a vaccine for covid-19  [this is in jest, I'm sure the vaccines being developed are heavily tested & quite safe]

128302828_3366093223440418_7165107030213878110_n.jpg

Was happy to see on the front page of a newspaper as I was walking home that there are only 6 cases of flu in Munich. Of course there are probably more unreported cases but it is a direct result of distancing and masking.

"Grippe Wunder!"

I wonder will we see a general trend in winter in the western world to wear masks. It's standard attire in many asian countries and has been for decades. I can imagine I might keep wearing a mask on public transport for example, especially during cold a flu season. It doesn't feel weird any more!

It doesn’t feel weird anymore - true, murphaph - though for some of us, it is difficult to breathe properly after the first minute or two.

My office landlady ( and over 80 )- saw her in the street today fully masked for the first time! I wasn’t sure if it was her! I had to go close to her to see her! 
There was a sort of “ Du auch?” moment!😀

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

I wonder will we see a general trend in winter in the western world to wear masks. It's standard attire in many asian countries and has been for decades. I can imagine I might keep wearing a mask on public transport for example, especially during cold a flu season. It doesn't feel weird any more!

I dont have a problem with that either.

I used to be the only person wearing a mask on the subway when I had a cold (inspired by Asian practices) - people would stare at me if I had two heads...
If wearing a mask in the winter on the subway helps me retain my freedom and health, I'll do it indefinitely.

Just now, Metall said:

I used to be the only person wearing a mask on the subway when I had a cold (inspired by Asian practices) - people would stare at me if I had two heads...
If wearing a mask in the winter on the subway helps me retain my freedom and health, I'll do it indefinitely.

When I flew to Hamburg in March to try to start the return to Germany, I was at Heraklion Airport ( Crete ) and I saw a guy in a mask sitting alone. I thought “ oh shit.. hope I don’t sit next to him— wierdo.”

So, I got on the flight to Athens and all was well. Then I boarded the flight from Athens to Hamburg.. and.. and .. oh no, have to sit next to him.

So I did.

After a while, the food came and we got chatting. He was a Syrian doctor on his way to an interview for a doc job in Kiel and we became friendly. He had been en route for 48 hours.

I translated for him - no worries- not pork but chicken. And he took his mask off! And ate.

Then I got to Hamburg- and then it was “ please don’t handshake “ at the bank, the lawyer’s, the estate agent’s , the tax consultant’s etc..

And then my Nicole called me —“ have booked you a flight back to Greece. The airport is closing in Athens.”

And it stayed closed for about four months for flights between Germany and Greece.

7 hours ago, murphaph said:

Same here, though I do find the FSP 2 masks to be a problem if you need to run for the bus, I can't get enough air. Also wearing the mask did not stop me getting a cold this autumn so not sure I will bother once Covid is gone.

I guess we know that masks don't provide a hermetic seal but simply (greatly) reduce the chances of you catching something and largely prevent you passing on any virus you may be carrying. Studies have also revealed that the viral load can be significantly reduced, thus reducing the severity of the illness.

Previously I never really considered it because you looked like a total psycho. I knew that it was common practice in many parts of Asia and found it sensible but still wouldn't have done it myself. Now it's totally normal, worldwide. I would expect many people to keep wearing them.

Previously I never really considered it because you looked like a total psycho. I knew that it was common practice in many parts of Asia and found it sensible but still wouldn't have done it myself. Now it's totally normal, worldwide. I would expect many people to keep wearing them.

I always take a mask with me for Asian trips. Once I had to do an urgent flight to Korea with fever developing during the flight. I had to use the mask when going to customer and business partner.

If others continue wearing masks next winter for example if Covid is no longer a threat then it would make sense. If not though then it would be back to looking like a psycho and you would have little protection against viruses carried by people who were not wearing a mask. I guess it will be a community thing maybe helped by government encouragement but looking at the few but loud objectors to mask wearing during a this pandemic I'm not sure state sponsored mask wearing will be likely.

Actually I think a snug fitting FFP2 mask will protect you fairly well on say a crowded bus or train, even if nobody else is wearing one. The loose fitting surgical style masks are more designed to catch the stuff we exhale however, but when everyone is wearing one they work. They would be much less effective as a "shield" though.

I think the vast majority will go back to not wearing mask. I certainly will. I use it in Asia because I´m there on business and it is impolite not to use it. Otherwise fuck it, it´s a social retrocess.

Yeah I think so too but I'd certainly reckon with a good proportion of people continuing to wear them to such an extent that it isn't weird if you do. I remember the first time I started wearing one in shops (before they became mandatory) and people would look at you like you had 2 heads or something. Now it's just normal.

10 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Same here, though I do find the FSP 2 masks to be a problem if you need to run for the bus, I can't get enough air. Also wearing the mask did not stop me getting a cold this autumn so not sure I will bother once Covid is gone.

A mask alone is not enough. Paired with a lot of handwashing/sanitizing and keeping your hands out of your face gives you a better chance against picking up some nasty.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

A mask alone is not enough. Paired with a lot of handwashing/sanitizing and keeping your hands out of your face gives you a better chance against picking up some nasty.

That´s what pisses me off. One year after the outbreak and no clear indication on transmission through materials!

Can I safely pick a carboard package from the supermarket?