5,104 posts in this topic

Thanks Kiplette, unfortunately it's one of those things you can't keep out. We're just trying to minimise the damage.

1 minute ago, keith2011 said:

If I do the maths then if Italy has the same % death rate as South Korea then they would actually have over 320,000 people infected. Either way it is a worry!

Many people don't even notice that they have it but it's probably a mix of reasons.

14 hours ago, HEM said:

When I flew out of Hamburg a few hours before you arrived I saw two masked people.

Leaving Vancouver a few days ago the line-up at a nearby gate for a flight to Tokyo was a string of white bobbling masks.  Masks on Asian streets are nothing new, but the virus hysteria has kicked it up several notches.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

As said before, most infected places in Italy are small towns, where the percentage of old people is higher. In contrast, Wuhan in China is a large city, attracting young people. That skews statistics.

Italy also has many old people, second only to Japan. 

As it is impossible to test everyone everyweek, counting the number of infected is error prone. 

To summarize, this is clearly much more deadly than common flu, but how much remains to be seen.

Germany has a large section of elderly people with 639 infections, but currently no deaths, which is a mortality rate of zero

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_Germany

UK has a not so aged population as Germany, with 163 infections and 2 deaths, different mortality rate

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-uk-news-cases-latest-update-covid-19-live/

which is quite a difference, what are the reasons for the difference, less testing ?, better health system ?, maybe there just in not enough data at the moment to come to any conclusion.

South Tyrol claims that thay only have 2 cases, however, a lot of Germans who are infected got the infection in South Tyrol while skiing.

My explanation is that the skiers were only in contact with young people which don't show any symptons.

The Robert Koch Institute says that people should be careful with gyms, since most of the people there are young and could be infected without showing any symptons.

Yesterday night in our local DM all toilet paper was sold out, except the recycled one, because people still have standards.

5e63a9f4225b4_IMG20200306191505(1).jpg.9

P.S., Just went to Kaufland and there was plenty of toilet paper, but people were still buying like WW3 is coming.

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

None the less when you look at South Korea with over 7000 infected but only 44 deaths it does make me wonder what they are doing wrong in Italy/Europe.

As with China, you must treat statistics from South Korea with some skepticism. Also, as said by others, they are testing a lot more people.

17 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Yesterday night in our local DM all toilet paper was sold out, except the recycled one, because people still have standards.

P.S., Just went to Kaufland and there was plenty of toilet paper, but people were still buying like WW3 is coming.

The equivalent to Ebay kleinanzeigen in Portugal just removed all adds related with Coronavirus and with people selling overpriced house goods. Most of this is speculation by a few idiots.

23 minutes ago, Krieg said:

5e63a9f4225b4_IMG20200306191505(1).jpg.9

Went to DM this morning, people are rationed to no more than 2 packs, Rice is sold out in Edeka and the pasta shelves are looking a bit bare but the fresh stuff is all there. Potatoes and fruit stored correctly will store a while. Potatoes as a food stuff are pretty flexible.

BTW, because of my quarantine I finally tested Aamzon Fresh. Not only it works very well, most stuff is on stock and prices are somewhat cheaper. Seems I will stop going to supermarkets!

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

BTW, because of my quarantine I finally tested Aamzon Fresh. Not only it works very well, most stuff is on stock and prices are somewhat cheaper. Seems I will stop going to supermarkets!

damn it!

I don't want to hear that.  Been trying to wean myself off amazon but my supermarket closed (eta: unrelated to viruses) and I've been looking for decent delivery service since.  Let's say I've been underwhelmed with the options.  

Did amazon really have plenty of openings for reasonable delivery time?  Next day ideal, two days max would be my preference...after 18:00 is a must.  As with most of these services, they won't cite delivery options unless I sign up :/  This always makes me wary as...well you know, it sounds great but so far isn't.

i am going to lean my ladder up against the wall and climb it a few times.. have a brew... talk shit to myself and pretend that I am working from home whilst actually being at home! 

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Who is still going into work and not working from home? Curious. 

I'm a freelancer and still going to work, but if my students have to work from home, I'm in trouble, as are most of my colleagues.

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

me, as far as I know now

53 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Me, I don't want 90 old dears, half of them with Dementia in my front room. I only have one toilet as well.;)

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I do and I plan to go until they tell me to stay at home.    The ironic thing is that some of my negationist colleagues who kept repeating there is nothing to worry about stayed at home and reported for home office when it was announced we had a potential positive who spent the whole day there.   

Thanks guys. I was referring to office jobs. I've been reading that many companies are now conducting meetings over video since no one is traveling to Asia, etc. I hope that continues after the pandemic.

no kidding.  our hr person was waxing poetic about how someone at her kid's kindergarten had contact with someone who was sick - in a very third party way, no one at school was sick - and they were warned and she had decided to keep her kid home as she didn't want to risk it...and not five minutes later told me one of our coworkers was coming in late because he was sick.  

meanwhile my table-mate coughs all over me all day long - not even the smallest attempt to cover it.  I kinda hope I get corona so I can go to work for at least one day and share the love.