6,797 posts in this topic

I´m not dismissing their efforts, far from it. Just saying that this could be predicted well ahead.

Why do you think we now have 3 candidates almost at the same time? Not to mention the russian and chinese one?

I don't really see the point of your post then unless it was simply to tell us that you knew something we (or at least I) didn't?

If I could have predicted all this at the start of this pandemic I would have been down in Paddy Powers sticking a grand on the outcome.

4 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I´m not dismissing their efforts, far from it. Just saying that this could be predicted well ahead.

Why do you think we now have 3 candidates almost at the same time? Not to mention the russian and chinese one?

Because they had them all ready months ago, but wanted to wait until Trump lost the election? :ph34r:

Sorry, just channeling my inner jenius²

I for one hope there will be an overall ban on New Year's Eve firecracker madness: 

https://www.stimme.de/deutschland-welt/politik/dw/beschlussvorlage-silvester-feuerwerk-soll-untersagt-werden;art295,4419441#:~:text=Das%20Z%C3%BCnden%2C%20der%20Kauf%20und,Beschlussentwurf%20des%20Vorsitzlandes%20der%20Ministerpr%C3%A4sidentenkonferenz.

The big New Year's Eve bang could be cancelled this year - at least in the SPD-led federal states. The reasons for the cancellations are manifold.

New Year's Eve without firecrackers?
In some federal states such as Berlin there could be a ban on firecrackers because of Corona.

The SPD-led federal states do not want to allow New Year's Eve fireworks this year.

The "Berliner Morgenpost" and the business magazine "Business Insider" report that the ignition, purchase and sale of firecrackers and rockets are therefore to be banned in Germany at the turn of the year, citing a draft resolution by the state chairing the Minister President's Conference. Berlin's Mayor Michael Müller (SPD) is currently the Chairman of the Conference.

The aim is to avoid the formation of groups, to relieve the burden on emergency services such as the police and fire brigade and to keep the capacities of the health care system free, according to the paper, which is also available to dpa and is dated 22 November. This Wednesday, Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) and the Minister Presidents of the Länder will discuss the further course of action in the Corona pandemic. A partial lockdown is currently in force, but will expire at the end of November.

© dpa-infocom, dpa:201122-99-427064/2

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

6 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I don't really see the point of your post then unless it was simply to tell us that you knew something we (or at least I) didn't?

The point is that this did not come as a complete surprise to a lot of people. I think 95% efficacy was a surprise, but having something developed was not.

5 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Because they had them all ready months ago, but wanted to wait until Trump lost the election? :ph34r:

Sorry, just channeling my inner jenius²

:)

Because it´s the expected development cycle duration.

Anyway congratulations to the various teams involved and thanks to the volunteers who took part.

That's all I wanted to say really.

43 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Good job I made this in April... 

Get 3 grapefruits. Makes quinine to my knowledge.

Add copious amounts of wine and drink, ad infinitum.

What?   you mean J ² is a fucking nutter and full of shit and bollocks?

or could this grapefruit potion be the saviour of the world as it stoppe J² getting infected!!     

3 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Good job I made this in April... 

Did you make it April 1st? ;)

6 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Looking like the 2nd wave is going to be worse than the 1st!

Definitely so in the border regions.

Far more cases and deaths in all districts both sides of the German/Swiss border this time around. I wonder why? :rolleyes: 

Could it have something to do with shops, bars and restaurants being open, the border being wide open and most people walking around without masks on? I wonder. :wacko: 

Around three quarters of the cars in carparks outside supermarkets and other shops around here have Swiss number plates. :) 

1 minute ago, lunaCH said:

Could it have something to do with shops, bars and restaurants being open, the border being wide open and most people walking around without masks on? I wonder. 

I assume you mean on the Swiss side not the German?

16 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I assume you mean on the Swiss side not the German?

Yes, the Swiss have been told to wear masks in urban areas and centres - and everything is open.

My guess is that three quarters aren't doing this. 

It's also compulsory in public transport and at bus-stops and stations. Many are simply not adhering and using smoking, drinking, eating or talking on mobiles to get out of wearing them. 

Fines can be given at bus stops and stations but not on buses and trains. Pathetic. 

I've witnessed people who did not put their mask on for the entire train journey from Zurich to the German border. 

The further you go east in CH the more likely you are to find people not adhering - so the border regions around Germany that's Konstanz, Singen and Waldshut as well as the border with Bregenz, Austria and on to Lindau, Germany are more affected.by cross border contamination. 

But hey, it seems more important that mothers smoking whilst on the phone and pushing buggies in packed city centres can then whip into Germany for cheap baby wipes. :rolleyes: 

Talked on the phone with a relative in Portugal. She manages the schools of an area around 150.000 people. There is definitely a problem in containing the pandemic with open schools. Summer went great because of school holidays. I´m not saying we need to close down schools, but we definitely need to improve measures in school to control it.

My son´s school now has HEPA air purification units in several classrooms. They are doing poll testing every week. And open the windows a few times per hour. But most schools do none of that.

OK, a vaccine is coming, great. But the lesson here is that for future pandemics we need to rethink school conditions. The same applies to office spaces.

The same way we made earthquake-resilient buildings in some areas of the planet, we need to create regulations for pandemic mitigation in buildings.

17 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

OK, a vaccine is coming, great. But the lesson here is that for future pandemics we need to rethink school conditions. The same applies to office spaces.

The same way we made earthquake-resilient buildings in some areas of the planet, we need to create regulations for pandemic mitigation in buildings.

Should we though? Notable pandemics have been: 

1. Bubonic plague
  2. Spanish flue
  3. Covid-19

It might be overreacting to try and make all schools pandemic transmission safe.

Sort of like mandating tsunami resistance for all buildings. Including Switzerland.

Many experts have been saying for 20 years this would come. We are much more globalized now, This will come frequentely.

Also it is not wasted money, it will benefit against other diseases, including air pollution.

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

de.jpg.26f3690b8e17896e5feb3f34655c0eaa.

Looking like the 2nd wave is going to be worse than the 1st!:(

The Spanish Flu came in four waves.  The second wave was the worst.