6,797 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Yet at the same time: 

German states call for less strict coronavirus measures 

https://www.thelocal.de/20201116/german-states-call-for-less-strict-coronavirus-measures :rolleyes:

This is a big problem. With the news from vaccines, politicians will tend to ease control, but we need restrictions until we get a decent amount of people vaccinated.

Hey balti-cus, I can't hear you as you are blocked, but here is one for your toilet time!

https://www.ft.com/content/67fc5152-d500-4b9e-ad5c-79e1bf2b68e2

Maybe it helps you to flush down the shit your brain has been saying about corona.

The tragic Swedish situation is that it was not caused by petty politics like in US. It was caused by a handful of arrogant amateurs who couldn't do basic math!

4 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Hey balti-cus, I can't hear you as you are blocked, but here is one for your toilet time!

https://www.ft.com/content/67fc5152-d500-4b9e-ad5c-79e1bf2b68e2

Maybe it helps you to flush down the shit your brain has been saying about corona.

The tragic Swedish situation is that it was not caused by petty politics like in US. It was caused by a handful of arrogant amateurs who couldn't do basic math!

The Metall approach.   😂

The FT article is behind a paywall, but there has been a similar article floating around via BusinessInsider.   When you read these articles, pay close attention to what Anders Tegnell actually says and what is the "interpretation" of his words.   

It's pretty funny to have people citing their understanding of 7 day moving averages and the exponential function as if they somehow intellectually elite.   🤡

It is not a scientific data point, but have you noticed the inside sales of the CEOs of Moderna, Novavax and Pfizer?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/as-pharmaceutical-execs-sell-shares-worth-millions-questions-arise-1.5189713

3 hours ago, balticus said:

It is not a scientific data point, but have you noticed the inside sales of the CEOs of Moderna, Novavax and Pfizer?

Probably unethical and maybe legally questionable but what the hell, that is the way the market works, just because it is "big pharma" in a worldwide pandemic, why would you expect anything different?

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Probably unethical and maybe legally questionable but what the hell, that is the way the market works, just because it is "big pharma" in a worldwide pandemic, why would you expect anything different?

It is legal, but that was not my point.

If i would be a CEO or Executive with tons of stock options and my company was on the verge of delivering a product which would be used by every human being on Earth and financed by governments, I would not be selling my stock or exercising my options yet.   

IIRC, Moderna's CEO sold $83 million worth, i.e. his entire position.   It is hard to interpret this as raising cash for living expenses.

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

I think it could be the opposite. Perhaps they sold before it went up, as if they did it afterwards, it could be seen as profiting from the disease.

15 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

Merkel wants stricter, the states looser

honestly, I don't really buy it.  I think they're playing good cop-bad cop.  Mama Merkel, the big, bad bully, wanted to take away your kids' playdates, but the strong and brave state leaders resisted such draconian measures!  For the people!  Hurrah!

Notably, she is the only one who is *definitely* retiring next year, so can afford to fall on the sword on this one.  Söder's already saying what I've been saying for weeks--that Lockdown LightTM isn't doing anyone any good.  The little for-show tug-of-war will end next week when "under protest" all 16 states agree to big, bad Mama Merkel's rules and bring a hard, sharp lockdown on everybody until March.  This "long, hard winter" is long in the works, but they still have to sell it convincingly to the people.  Yesterday I had a giggle imagining what they were really doing in there for six hours "debating" new restrictions behind closed doors.  Champagne?  Mani-pedi? "Words With Friends"?

Next week we'll get the news, and Merkel doesn't need to care if people are mad at her, she'll be retired on a tropical island soon anyway.

#dessapredictions 

*amendment to the above #prediction: they won't actually tell us next week that it's going til March but they *will* extend it, with a slightly opened end. so that people don't shit themselves in shock when the next extension comes.  As they have been doing the whole time.  As they did on the very first day of Lockdown Light, before any analyses were even possible, that's when I began laughing into my beard. 

I've noticed that quite a few times the courts have overturned some of the restiriction orders. Someone files a suit with respect to the Grundrechte (basic rights) and schwuppdiwupp the measures are obselete. There are going to be many more law suits.  They can't even ban these stupid anti-corona demonstrations due to the basic right to demonstrate. I pity the policemen having to wade in there every time. 

Our current laws were written in peace time. Europe has been at peace for 70 years. This is war time and we are testing the limits of the current laws. Many countries have special laws that allow suspension of basic rights in critical situations. This is preferable to changing the current laws.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Next week we'll get the news, and Merkel doesn't need to care if people are mad at her, she'll be retired on a tropical island soon anyway.

#dessapredictions 

I think you are missing the concept of what a federal country is.

The state premiers do not have to make Merkel happy, she does not have control of each federal state, Sure she can make a suggestion but like you said she is leaving next year, so why make her happy?

4 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Our current laws were written in peace time. Europe has been at peace for 70 years. This is war time and we are testing the limits of the current laws. Many countries have special laws that allow suspension of basic rights in critical situations. This is preferable to changing the current laws.

I agree with you. But this is Germany with a short dark past. Suspend basic rights today and you are in trouble (in Germany). Nazikeule.

26 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

so why make her happy?

to curb the spread of corona.

IMO the political end of it is between the elected officials and the electorate, not amongst themselves*.  In my #prediction they are all actually already agreed on the plan but know that implementing it will be hard and there will be pushback from the people.

*AfD excepted

3 hours ago, balticus said:

If i would be a CEO or Executive with tons of stock options and my company was on the verge of delivering a product which would be used by every human being on Earth and financed by governments, I would not be selling my stock or exercising my options yet.   

IIRC, Moderna's CEO sold $83 million worth, i.e. his entire position.   It is hard to interpret this as raising cash for living expenses

Maybe they realise that the current stock value may rapidly fall with a bunch of other companies announcing vaccines. A bird in the hand and all that!

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I think it could be the opposite. Perhaps they sold before it went up, as if they did it afterwards, it could be seen as profiting from the disease.

The sceptic in me says I'm not sure too many top executives think that way but who knows?:unsure:

32 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

The sceptic in me says I'm not sure too many top executives think that way but who knows?:unsure:

It might be the opposite, they might have pressure not to sell for years to come. They were doing this in their best interest, of course, but not because they think it will fail.