6,142 posts in this topic

On 29/10/2020, 08:39:54, kiplette said:

This was the norm with us, and Penny rather sensibly tied the chains to the handles so the trolleys were pfand-free during the Pflicht period.

The strangest thing with a bouncer was when places of entertainment were all closed, and one Saturday night I ventured out to REWE and the security guy was the centre of an unsettlingly large crowd of youngsters, chatting and grooving away with him, no distancing at all...it was The Place To Be.

well, his employer is RAVER after all 

Portugal going for partial soft lockdown, county by county! Finally! The numbers are 4x worst than Germany and the current PM wanted a lockdown only in the beginning of December, to "save christmas". It would be a massacre if he waited that long.

Restaurants opened until 22h (otherwise he would lose the next elections), shops open, but restrictions to number of people getting together, etc. Very similar to the German soft lockdown, but with the difference that only applies to counties with a high number of cases on the past 14 days, to be reviewed constantly. At the moment applies to 70% of the population.

Home office is mandatory for all jobs that can do it.

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

So when England is in their first week of lockdown, Wales will be opening up or what?

Different countries, different rules. Same as with the EU, - helps increase spreading of the virus - when countries that are meant to be in a union don't work together, don't co-ordinate, take unilateral decisions etc.

Corona came and the EU as well as the Schengen arrangement fell apart.

Also governments don't always necessarily do what's best for the people, you know?! :rolleyes: 

2 hours ago, lunaCH said:

With that kind of argument you could claim the the Federal Republic of Germany fell apart. After all, there were borders closed e. g. between Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein etc.

2 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Different countries, different rules. Same as with the EU, - helps increase spreading of the virus - when countries that are meant to be in a union don't work together, don't co-ordinate, take unilateral decisions etc.

Also governments don't always necessarily do what's best for the people, you know?! :rolleyes: 

One of the basic rules for an effective quarantine is to stop people moving about and spreading the "plague"! Closing borders and restricting internal travel are all part of that and had that been applied to China when the outbreak first started  we would probably not be in this terrible situation now.

41 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

One of the basic rules for an effective quarantine is to stop people moving about and spreading the "plague"! Closing borders and restricting internal travel are all part of that and had that been applied to China when the outbreak first started  we would probably not be in this terrible situation now.

Indeed, I agree with you. The situation would be much more contained. 

My point is there was no co-ordinated effort. The EU sat back, watched and did nothing. There was no strategy. It got to the point where individual countries started to unilaterally take decisions closing off areas in part, partial restrictions of movement across borders (whether intra-Schengen or external) etc. 

The EU from the outset could have closed all of its external borders and immediately suspended the Schengen agreement for all intra-Schengen area borders. None of this happened, the virus continued to enter the Schengen area and spread across internal borders like wildfire.

It was MONTHS before anyone did anything useful when individual countries saw no one acting at EU level, they went their own way. Nonetheless, it was all too little, too late.

The fact that international trains were running from Italy to Germany, via guess where, Switzerland (one of the slowest to act and last to introduce border restrictions), for all of that time, simply beggars belief. 

The fact that these trains are running right now is beyond madness. 

The EU is meant to be a union. I have seen very little to nothing in the way of union-based effort to contain anything in 2020.

I am very angry with the EU and indeed the UK and I'm utterly disgusted by the Swiss government - as it is said that borders for as long as possible were kept open so as not to anger the EU. Pffff !!! Unutterably pathetic. They are directly responsible for hundreds to thousands of deaths, many of which are also in Germany. Am I the only one here who can see that? :angry: 

"Australia records zero Covid-19 cases for first time in five months"

Australia has recorded its first day of no local cases of Covid-19 in almost five months.

Zero cases were reported in the 24 hours between 20:00 on Friday and 20:00 on Saturday - the first time this has happened since 9 June.

The state of Victoria - epicentre of Australia's second wave - recorded zero cases for the second day in a row after a 112-day lockdown.

Health officials say more restrictions may be eased in the coming days.

"Thank you to all of our amazing health & public health workers & above all else the Australian people," Health Minister Greg Hunt said on his Twitter account.

The nation of 25 million adopted an approach of using lockdowns and proactive testing and tracing to contain the virus, and Victoria - where 90% of Covid deaths occurred - imposed some of the severest stay-at-home and curfew rules in the world.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews praised the state's six million residents for following such strict rules and said they were well placed for a "Covid-normal Christmas".

BBC

2020: It's all about hindsight...

Wow! So now all the U.S. needs to figure out how to get from one new case per second down to zero. Methinks it will take a while.

40 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

I am very angry with the EU and indeed the UK and I'm utterly disgusted by the Swiss government - as it is said that borders for as long as possible were kept open so as not to anger the EU. Pffff !!! Unutterably pathetic. They are directly responsible for hundreds to thousands of deaths, many of which are also in Germany. Am I the only one here who can see that? :angry: 

Me too and I would add the WHO to my angry at list as well. One of the only things I agree on with Trump on was to question the WHO's initial handling of the pandemic and blame China for both covering it up and down playing how serious Covid 19 is, shame on him though that he then tried to ignore it.:angry:

19 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

STAY AT HOME!!!!   Fucking idiots!

No!

I will get a Covid test and spent my holidays in the Seychelles.

(Almost) no Covid and warm weather.

6 hours ago, lunaCH said:

I think 99% of people don't understand what Schengen is about. Crossing Spanish-French border during summer would show it what it means: borders can be closed at any moment, as states want.

Each state can suspend Schengen when they want and for as long as they want. And in the case of some countries, like Spain, this happens on weekly basis, not just on emergencies.