6,743 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2020, 3:21:14, murphaph said:

We were told by certain people on here a month ago that Covid 19 was in retreat.

Not only that,it was stated that Sweden was weeks away from herd immunity and we should have all followed Sweden.

Finally, Sweden will impose some restrictions. I guess that's because the herd immunity (or mentality as Trump says) isn't working out so well.

Sweden's public health agency will this week start working with regions battling the worst coronavirus outbreaks to bring in local restrictions, as the country toughens its approach to ward off a resurgence in infections.

The rules, which come into force on Monday, empower regional health authorities to instruct citizens to avoid shopping centres, museums, libraries, swimming pools, gyms, sports training, sports matches, and concerts.

It also empowers them, in consultation with the agency, to instruct people to avoid public transport or to avoid visiting the elderly and others in risk groups.

"It's more of a lockdown situation - but a local lockdown," said Johan Nojd, who leads the infectious diseases department in Uppsala.

here

p.s. Isn't uppsala what Germans say after passing gas out one end or the other?

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Finally, Sweden will impose some restrictions. I guess that's because the herd immunity (or mentality as Trump says) isn't working out so well.

here

p.s. Isn't uppsala what Germans say after passing gas out one end or the other?

What big believers in Swedens response didn`t seem to realise is that the govt trusted its own citizens to social distance etc and the govt wasn`t legally allowed to impose the same sort of lockdown as many other countries did.

Also the population density of Sweden is incredibly low compared to most other European countries so many of the citizens are pretty much distancing anyway.

Also they were never going for Herd immunity with even the man behind their response saying it wouldn`t be possible without a vaccine and herd immunity was definitely never "weeks away".

2 minutes ago, Keleth said:

the govt wasn`t legally allowed to impose the same sort of lockdown as many other countries did.

Hell, there aren't even mask mandates in many places. We just saw an Afd meeting on TV with a room full of people close together and no masks. It's even worse in the U.S. 

(*uppsala*)

3 minutes ago, jeba said:

You continue pretending that deaths is all that matters. But firstly, that´s not true and secondly deaths are lagging infections.

Deaths are flat even adjusting for a 2-4 week lag.  

Great Depression II is straight ahead and it was cheered on by most of TT.

🤯

Also, if everything was going swimmingly in Sweden then why the hell would they be implementing localised lockdowns at all? Why not just continue with the allegedly successful Laissez-faire approach they took earlier on?

Because it failed and Sweden's top public health officials are on record attesting to that.

Dunno about Sweden, but Landkreis Starnberg is now officially on level "rot", with more than 50 cases per 100,000 population.

Our local Fire Brigade has been ordered to stop all training sessions, and now, once again, have separate teams for call-outs.

Even the cats are suspicious of me now, rob! I come along with food and they chat with each other and - you can tell from their expressions - „ miaow, where‘s his bloody mask?“

Ungrateful buggers...😩

7 minutes ago, balticus said:

Deaths are flat even adjusting for a 2-4 week lag.  

2-4 weeks is too short. Wait 4-8 weeks and wait until it reaches older folks. Apart from that i still doesn´t show the suffering of those who survive but have long-term damage (which I´d be more worried about than death).

That said, until a vaccine or effective treatment will be available the jury is still out whether Sweden´s approach was wrong. It looks like the odds are there will be a vaccine though. If I was the king of the world there would have been tests in volunteers to establish the minimal dose of the virus necessary for infection (mindboggling that this hasn´t been done yet) and "vaccinate" volunteers with doses lower than that.

9 minutes ago, john_b said:

When all this passes, I hope Swedish people learn two things:

- they are not exceptional

- they have to seriously change their possibilities for change. As example, their excuse to not close schools was because education is mandatory. Their excuse not to enforce strong lockdowns was that it was not allowed by the constitution, which takes years to change.

BTW, For me, the only exceptional people are the Jews, persecuted for thousands of years, still survived and prospered (economy, Nobel prizes, engineering, etc).

You think you are Galileo, but you are actually siding with the Church, @MikeMelga .     You and a lot of others will be shocked by the economic depression ushered in by this lockdown hysteria even though you repeatedly demanded it.   🤡

The Time article cherry picked data and the graph below shows that there is no upswing in deaths corresponding to the upswing in cases.   If the article was not political, it would mention the stats from Belgium, Italy, Spain, and the UK.   If it would be objective, it would mention the strict lockdown imposed by EU favorite Viktor Orban of Hungary, which simply delayed the inevitable.   

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 07.02.15.png

10 hours ago, murphaph said:

Also, if everything was going swimmingly in Sweden then why the hell would they be implementing localised lockdowns at all? Why not just continue with the allegedly successful Laissez-faire approach they took earlier on?

Exactly - everyone should be looking at the hospitalization and death rates and very skeptically asking why governments are doing what they are doing.   

An open debate and discussion of data and policy is healthy.   

6 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

When all this passes, I hope Swedish people learn two things

To be fair to the Swedes. it wasn't the people's decision there, but in the end the decision of a handful of top politicians. ;)

10 hours ago, john_b said:

There has been a lack of written communication between the Prime Minister and the Public Health Authority: when the authors requested all emails and documents between the Prime Minister’s office and the Public Health Authority for the period Jan. 1—Sept. 14, the Prime Minister’s Registrar replied on Sept. 17 that none existed.

truly terrifying.  The stuff nightmares are made of.  Even when things are going bad--you still assume there's someone at the helm and they have some clue, or are at least trying to.  Christ.

3 hours ago, lunaCH said:

To be fair to the Swedes. it wasn't the people's decision there, but in the end the decision of a handful of top politicians. ;)

I have a cousin living there and it seems most of them are quite proud of their choice and take it as a proof of their exceptionalism.

43 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I have a cousin living there and it seems most of them are quite proud of their choice and take it as a proof of their exceptionalism.

Swedes are also proud, that the police lost control over the country, that Jews are are attacked by members of the religion of peace in Malmö and left their country, 200 bomb explosions last year, who cares. Sweden is an exceptional country.

Doesn't mean too much if Swedes say they are proud of something.

Outsourced contact tracing service fails to contact 250,000 people, analysis says

Private firms Serco and Sitel failed to contact 245,481 contacts in England, either online or from call centres over four months. Meaning they missed nearly 40% of contacts, the figures show. Labour said the figures show Test and Trace is “on the verge of collapse”. The party also said these figures highlight the need for a short national lockdown to allow the government to fix the system.