6,155 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Ha! I'm having a john g. moment. This reminds me of the time early on when I took Himself into a grocery store in South Carolina and two big, fat dudes came in with no shoes or shirts and bought a case of beer.

These days, they actually have to have signs on the doors that say shirts and shoes are required. (Guns are allowed)

You see how EASY those moments are!😂

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

Are they ?

Honest question and something I`ve never thought about.

3 hours ago, Feierabend said:

I just had to investigate this assertion! This is not true, although footwear may be required under the house rules of shops, businesses or other venues.

In some countries it is, or it was, until the law was not longer needed, as was universally done. Unsure about Germany.

There have been laws on that since middle ages, when big cities had issues with hygiene. It was also a way to distinguish slaves from common people, especially if the slaves had run away.

Usually it is not a general country rule, but only applicable to larger cities. That was/is true for many Portuguese cities. There was also a general law for the whole country in the 1950's.

6 hours ago, Findus said:

Have any of you heard of this? 

https://www.n-tv.de/21916064

Yes, at least of similiar ones which used silver rather than copper. According to Kekulé they were found to be a health risk as you might inhale too many silver particles. Wouldn´t surprise me if that was a concern with copper as well.

Germany announces new tougher restrictions for coronavirus hotspots

Mask requirement

In cities and regions with rapidly increasing coronavirus infections, the mask requirement will be expanded. This means that anywhere where the number of new infections exceeds 35 per 100.000 inhabitants within the space of seven days, a mask requirement will apply wherever people come into close proximity for extended periods of time. 

Private celebrations

A batch of tougher restrictions will also apply to regions where the number of new cases exceeds 50 per 100.000 residents within seven days. Currently, there are 47 regions across the country that fall under this category. 

In these areas, private celebrations such as parties will be limited to a maximum of 10 participants or the members of two households. 

Contact restrictions

If the number of new infections exceeds the 50 value, a maximum of 10 people will be allowed to meet in public spaces - and if this measure does not halt the rise in cases, this will be reduced to up to five people or the members of two households. 

Curfew for restaurants; bars and clubs closed

A new curfew will also be imposed on regions that exceed this 50 threshold. Wherever this occurs, an 11 pm curfew will be imposed on the catering trade. Bars and clubs will be forced to close.

Internal travel restrictions and accommodation bans

However, the state leaders did not reach a decision on the controversial internal travel restrictions and bans on overnight stays imposed by some states on those travelling from risk areas within Germany. They have postponed discussions until November 8, after the end of the autumn school holidays

What about face shields? They are clearly useless but I see more and more of them. I thought they were not allowed as a replacement for a mask!

2 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

What about face shields? They are clearly useless but I see more and more of them. I thought they were not allowed as a replacement for a mask!

The clear plastic masks moulded round the nose,  mouth and fixed behind the ears types are apparently approved as a mask, as opposed to the curved clear plastic sheet visors which are attached to a headband ( you see them being used in addition to masks in hospital etc. which are for spit protection.

18 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

The clear plastic masks moulded round the nose,  mouth and fixed behind the ears types are apparently approved as a mask, as opposed to the curved clear plastic sheet visors which are attached to a headband ( you see them being used in addition to masks in hospital etc. which are for spit protection.

Ok, can you point me to some official statement on this? I want to protest at my school. More and more kids and staff are coming with the headband plastic shield.

17 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Ok, can you point me to some official statement on this? I want to protest at my school. More and more kids and staff are coming with the headband plastic shield.

Ist es erlaubt, eine Visier Schutzmaske als Mund Nasen Bedeckung zu verwenden?

Visiere sind nicht zur Verhinderung der Virenausbreitung geeignet und erfüllen nicht die Anforderungen des Infektionsschutzes. Sie dürfen zwar genutzt werden, sollten aber lediglich ergänzend zur Mund-Nasen-Bedeckung verwendet werden.

https://www.corona-katastrophenschutz.bayern.de/faq/index.php

The economic damage from the lockdowns will take years to mitigate. 

After a short trip outside of the current home base I am concerned about economic depression within the next year.

6 minutes ago, balticus said:

After a short trip outside of the current home base I am concerned about economic depression within the next year. 

On the upside, maybe some people will blame it on corona and lockdowns etc. rather than on Brexit - at least in Europe. :)

16 hours ago, balticus said:

Yes this is my big beef.  But it's become very apparent now that Covid isn't going away. Blame the government for screwing up or blame social media (anti maskers etc) For dis-information it really doesn't matter, Covid is here to stay. The real question should be is how do we live with it. The damage down by lockdowns greatly exceed the damage down by covid. 

Also my impression is that the death rate isn't increasing I expect that due to at risk people being much more careful. 

38 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Also my impression is that the death rate isn't increasing

Maybe not, but people still get ill and the effects of that can last for months or possibly be permanent, - time will tell. People who are ill are also off work, which is a further strain on businesses and on the economy. ;) 

damage down by lockdowns greatly exceed the damage down by covid. 

Anyone who has lost a loved one will disagree with this I think. :(

death rate isn't increasing I expect that due to at risk people being much more careful.

Or perhaps because people are obliged to follow rules. 

I'm currently staying just over the border in Switzerland and masks here in canton Schaffhausen only became compulsory in shops from yesterday! On Thursday afternoon not a single person in the supermarkets I went in had a mask on;) In cantons Thurgau and Aargau, both of which border Germany there is currently no obligation to wear masks in shops. :rolleyes: 

Before Switzerland introduced the obligation to wear masks on transport, on cross border trains and busses the Swiss only put their masks on when they got to the German border. :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, balticus said:

Look at the graphs.  Rely on data not narrative.  The impact of the second wave is categorically different than the first.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

You are ignoring the fact that the data is not the same for the 2 waves so comparing the graphs is not valid. Unlike in the first wave when a great many of the new infections were only detected when ill people were admitted to hospital. The testing volume is now so much greater that the majority of new infections are being detected in many who have no symptoms and may never suffer illness or well in advance of needing to be in hospital. Consequently the delay between the steep rise in new infections and hospital admission is now much longer. Hospital admissions are now rising and it remains to be seen if new and earlier treatments will be effective in both reducing ICU admissions and deaths but we most likely will not know for 3 or 4 weeks, albeit the rising death rates in Spain, France and the UK (over 500 yesterday) are already cause for concern.

BTW How does it look in Sweden these days is the herd immunity working?