6,822 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Keleth said:

You were lucky to have a bike.

We used to have to roll ourselves down the glass covered roads to school where the teachers would bathe our wounds in salt.

Four Yorkshiremen coming along soon!😂

19 minutes ago, Keleth said:

You were lucky to have a bike.

We used to have to roll ourselves down the glass covered roads to school where the teachers would bathe our wounds in salt.

Salt? Salt? You were lucky to have salt! In our day it was vinegar! Ok let's just stop this now.

40 minutes ago, john g. said:

Major point you rightly mention- the growth of traffic in the last few decades. 

A lot of which is unnecessary and could be avoided if people weren't so selfish and if public transport services were improved.

True- and if people weren‘t so lazy also. You even see it in our mini village here. Three tavernas next to each other and the mini market just twenty metres away.

One of the taverna owners gets on her scooter, rides twenty metres on it and buys a couple of things and then rides back to the taverna.

Another person- a doctor - gets in the car with the rubbish from the day before , drives to the rubbish container about thirty metres away, opens the window, chucks the rubbish bag into the container and drives back home!

I observe all this faithfully every day during doggie walks!

And , meanwhile , corona is having a devastating effect on malnourished kids in eg parts of Africa and not getting the proven jabs against killer or blinding diseases/ illnesses etc.

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

A lot of which is unnecessary and could be avoided if people weren't so selfish and if public transport services were improved.

I think Germany has a conflict of interest when it comes to public transport, On the one hand, there's genuine support for public transport and generally pretty decent train and bus services around major urban centers, but on the other hand, developing collective transport too much would hurt the car industry, and Germany, for the obvious reasons, doesn't want to do anything that would hurt the car industry.

You can't do anything to stop people being selfish. You can improve collective transport, but radical widespread improvement of public transport outside of metropolitan areas isn't going to happen as it would disincentivize car ownership, 

5 hours ago, balticus said:

Is it a special school or is that for a standard offering? 

Completely normal - we live in a small-ish town (50 000) which is the largest centre of population for about 30km around, and so we have 3 Gymnasiums, for example. The kids come from far and wide. If you need, as jeba has noted, to walk to a bus stop, catch a bus to a station, take a train and then get another bus to school (only one of the Gymnasiums is a walk from the station) then your journey time quickly adds up. The buses of course, as already noted, don't take the quickest route from A to B, but the route which maximises pick ups along the route. There are loads of similar stories. 

Round here, if your kid is going to be a bus kid, you melde your address and that of the school with the bus company, and they make sure a suitable arrangement is available. There are obviously some who live nearer another place and come here for one reason or another, but we are by no means unusual.

Lots of kids come from a town down the river which is a half hour's drive in the car, but takes over an hour on the bus. The kid who lives on a potato farm a bit outside that town is stuffed. There isn't a closer alternative for those kids - their town only has a Hauptschule. We have many farm and tiny Dorf Kinder at our schools.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

Actually I don't recommend letting smallish kids go to school by bicycle until they attend the cycling classes in the school which is normally on fourth grade

Agreed. It's banned here, unless you get special permission, because the kid is insured for their Schulweg by the school, and the proficiency test is a requirement.

9 hours ago, Krieg said:

Actually I don't recommend letting smallish kids go to school by bicycle

My sister and I walked to Kindergarten. Which we hated (it was run by nuns who we also hated) and therefore often decided to spend the morning elsewhere. Like e. g. the railroad embankment where there were interesting things like hedgehogs or blindworms.

8 hours ago, kiplette said:

It's banned here, unless you get special permission, because the kid is insured for their Schulweg by the school, and the proficiency test is a requirement.

:huh: Until what age is it banned? 

14 hours ago, john g. said:

Yep, keith! More or the less same here! Walked 5 minutes to junior school and then from 11-18 at High School by bike. (1963-1970). Funny how the wind was ALWAYS against you!

Not only that but it was uphill all the way, there and back.:rolleyes:

14 hours ago, john g. said:

The only hassle sometimes was getting jeered at by the Secondary Modern kids when I was on the way to Grammar School - different uniform!!🙈

Same here, the girls were worst, always trying to steal our caps, which we had to wear till age 14. After 14 though those nasty girls became more and more interesting!;)

14 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Well they are certainly not going to get any being shuttled about by car everywhere. Who said anything about them being 6 years old? Not all kids are 6, you do tend to generalize a lot. :rolleyes:

If you had the slightly clue about being a parent in Germany you would know that mostly only SMALL kids are sent by the parents to the school.  Once they are a bit bigger almost of them go by themselves, even if they live far.   Yes, of course there are some helicopter parents but they are a minority.  And there are cases where bringing them is actually the best option (poor public transport and big distance).

19 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Once they are a bit bigger almost of them go by themselves, even if they live far.

This was my point - that's how it should be. ;)

19 minutes ago, Krieg said:

here are some helicopter parents but they are a minority.

I hope you're right - as in some areas I've seen it isn't the case. :)

33 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

I hope you're right - as in some areas I've seen it isn't the case. :)

How in the fuck would you know how many kids attend a given school and of those kids how many are brought by car? Unless you literally sit there at the school gates compiling data on this stuff you could not possibly know that. Even the school doesn't know that.

Here's what really happened: You saw a few (even maybe quite a few) kids being dropped off by car and decided for yourself that this constituted a majority of the school population. 

When I read such obvious bullshit I have to question the authenticity of the rest of what you post!

ummm seems like this thread is losing its theme from coronvirus to transport ... can I suggest we move it back to the topic that is pertinent at present with rising cases and restrictions etc?  ;)

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

How in the fuck would you know

Proximity to a school (home area), proximity to another school (office area). 

Press articles about the subject, following complaints from residents, including where there has been Police presence and questioning of parents behaviour to gauge what is happening- rocking up at school gates area in huge cars including totally out of place 4x4s.

Most parents queried had no answer as to why they were doing it, nearly all out of pure habit (so laziness and selfishness) - they nearly all lived locally. The bus trundled by in both directions almost empty and many children did not walk or cycle despite there being cycle lanes and covered cycle parking as well as their homes being within reasonable walking distance. The Police presence was on days of blazing hot sunshine, so quite why anybody needed to be in a car is beyond me. Several parents were fined for not using the seatbelt.

Torrential rain, deep snow may mean cycling and walking is not desirable. But that still leaves the bus services. 

By and large these people have more money than sense and all they do is clog up the roads, pollute the air, overuse the infrastructure and cause chaos and accidents. All unnecessarily! 

Next question? But make it about corona, we're way off topic. ;)