6,743 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Not everyone lives on a bus route or in walking or cycling distance of a school. That's kind of obvious

Indeed it is obvious, I never said everyone lives close enough to avoid the use of a car, but so many trips are totally unnecessary and it's these parents who are causing problems - not just do to with corona, but also clogging up roads, causing accidents as well as polluting the air, not to mention of course children who don't get enough exercise and end up being overweight. It's just totally irresponsible. ;) 

And not all of the parents of children in outlying villages have cars, so there is usually a school-bus. But then you get parents who drive there especially anyway, using a huge car to drop off one spindly child, despite the bus. :rolleyes:

Yeah but now you're rewriting what you said. You could have said all that but you didn't. You said that collecting kids from school with a car is madness. You didn't further qualify that statement. Now you have.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

You could have said all that but you didn't. You said that collecting kids from school with a car is madness. You didn't further qualify that statement. Now you have.

Not to begin with. And hardly rewriting anything. Conversations develop, that's how it works. ;)

3 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Indeed it is obvious, I never said everyone lives close enough to avoid the use of a car, but so many trips are totally unnecessary and it's these parents who are causing problems - not just do to with corona, but also clogging up roads, causing accidents as well as polluting the air, not to mention of course children who don't get enough exercise and end up being overweight. It's just totally irresponsible. ;) 

And not all of the parents of children in outlying villages have cars, so there is usually a school-bus. But then you get parents who drive there especially anyway, using a huge car to drop off one spindly child, despite the bus. :rolleyes:

Totally agree with unnecessary car journeys.

However, rural bus services ... hmm. Not for the faint-hearted. The one that served my kids' schools left at 6.25 a.m. taking 50 mins to get to the Grundschule, 15 km away, and well over an hour to their secondary school. They take every byway through outlying villages. Pitch dark mornings, steamed up windows and loud steaming-damp kids. Don't know many adults who would tolerate that. City-dwellers often do not have a clue.

16 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

rural bus services ... hmm. Not for the faint-hearted. The one that served my kids' schools left at 6.25 a.m. taking 50 mins to get to the Grundschule, 15 km away, and well over an hour to their secondary school. They take every byway through outlying villages. Pitch dark mornings, steamed up windows and loud steaming-damp kids. Don't know many adults who would tolerate that. 

I guess it depends on where you are and just how much money has been invested in the services. It's obviously not as you describe everywhere. We don't live in a city - but I would agree that many in the city, especially in the city centres, aren't aware of many of the advantages and disadvantages of village life.

8 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

We don't live in a city - but I would agree that many in the city, especially in the city centres, aren't aware of many of the advantages and disadvantages of village life.

That´s so true. I grew up in a city whereas my wife was from a farm. While I can hardly tell apart a screwdriver from a hammer my wife could fix almost everything, including welding.

2 hours ago, Feierabend said:

However, rural bus services ... hmm. Not for the faint-hearted.

Yup, the kids who travel furthest to our schools take 1h 45m for their journeys if all goes well.

They must be knackered most of the time.

We live 1 km away, mine are bike kids, and kid#3 is always last into class.;)

12 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Yup, the kids who travel furthest to our schools take 1h 45m for their journeys if all goes well.

😲

Is it a special school or is that for a standard offering?    

39 minutes ago, kiplette said:

kids who travel furthest to our schools take 1h 45m for their journeys if all goes well.

Bonkers! Please tell us that's there and back.

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

Bonkers! Please tell us that's there and back.

I believe it´s possible. I remember a classmate who had to travel by bus to the railway station in a neighbouring small town, from there to Würzburg main station and take the bus from there to school. However, that was because he wanted to go to a specific school rather than to another one closer to where he lived.

And this thread is teaching us that small kids should not be sent by car, they should go by bicycle to make some exercise.  When they are 6 years old.   LoL.

1 minute ago, Krieg said:

And this thread is teaching us that small kids should not be sent by car, they should go by bicycle to make some exercise.  When they are 6 years old.   LoL.

Except for the first day  when my mother came with me I walked the mile and a half to school alone or with a school friend from age 5 until I was 8 and could ride a bike. My secondary school from age 11 it was a 5 mile bike ride (bloody cold in winter). My best mate lived way out in the sticks and had a 1 hour not particularly reliable public bus ride and 20 minute walk from the bus station to the school, when he turned 16 the lucky b* was allowed to hand in his free bus pass and ride his motorbike to school, I wasn't!

Looking back I'm not sure I would have wanted to be ferried to and from school, too much parental control, you wouldn't believe what we got up to going to and from school.:D

Sure, good for you, I as well walked to school about 20 blocks away and later on cycled there, but it was a small town and quite safe.   Every situation is different and you can't just throw blanket statements like our newish resident Besserwisser.   It is not the same a seven years old kid walking to his primary school five blocks away on low traffic area than a 6 years old kid cycling to his school in the next village 8 kilometers away on a Landstrasse.   Actually I don't recommend letting smallish kids go to school by bicycle until they attend the cycling classes in the school which is normally on fourth grade, except if the route is extremely safe and the kid is mature enough for it and the parents actually trained the kid on traffic rules.   We have in Berlin way too many bicycle accidents every year.  But of course, every parents decide by themselves what they see better.

Yep, keith! More or the less same here! Walked 5 minutes to junior school and then from 11-18 at High School by bike. (1963-1970). Funny how the wind was ALWAYS against you!

Mum runs? Unheard of. Bike or bus.

The only hassle sometimes was getting jeered at by the Secondary Modern kids when I was on the way to Grammar School - different uniform!!🙈

And did a paper round on the bike before school from 11-18 to get a bit of money to watch my team, Southend United, home and sometimes away on the supporters  bus ( even to places such as Crewe, Rotherham, Swindon - miles away ) .. and to watch the occasional flick!😂

11 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Sure, good for you, I as well walked to school about 20 blocks away and later on cycled there, but it was a small town and quite safe.   Every situation is different and you can't just throw blanket statements like our newish resident Besserwisser.   It is not the same a seven years old kid walking to his primary school five blocks away on low traffic area than a 6 years old kid cycling to his school in the next village 8 kilometers away on a Landstrasse.   Actually I don't recommend letting smallish kids go to school by bicycle until they attend the cycling classes in the school which is normally on fourth grade, except if the route is extremely safe and the kid is mature enough for it and the parents actually trained the kid on traffic rules.   We have in Berlin way too many bicycle accidents every year.  But of course, every parents decide by themselves what they see better.

Major point you rightly mention- the growth of traffic in the last few decades. 

6 minutes ago, Krieg said:

It is not the same a seven years old kid walking to his primary school five blocks away on low traffic area than a 6 years old kid cycling to his school in the next village 8 kilometers away on a Landstrasse

What I specifically had in mind was the situation back in the UK at my old schools both of which have traffic jams from so many parents delivering or collecting their children so I think I am comparing apples with apples.On top of which since I was at school the town has been by passed by the M4 motorway and generally traffic is slower if not lighter particular on the old A4 (formally 50 mph limit, now 30mph) which I had to cross to get to my secondary school and no cycle paths or riding on the pavement in those days.

37 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Except for the first day  when my mother came with me I walked the mile and a half to school alone or with a school friend from age 5 until I was 8 and could ride a bike.

You were lucky to have a bike.

We used to have to roll ourselves down the glass covered roads to school where the teachers would bathe our wounds in salt.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

And this thread is teaching us that small kids should not be sent by car, they should go by bicycle to make some exercise.  When they are 6 years old.

49 minutes ago, Elljay said:

Even the "spindly" ones...

Well they are certainly not going to get any being shuttled about by car everywhere. Who said anything about them being 6 years old? Not all kids are 6, you do tend to generalize a lot. :rolleyes: