6,822 posts in this topic

A friend of mine in Frankfurt has just written to me his employer has said „ don‘t come to the office tomorrow. Lockdown just announced.“

Does anyone know about this? A link?

26 minutes ago, john g. said:

A friend of mine in Frankfurt has just written to me his employer has said „ don‘t come to the office tomorrow. Lockdown just announced.“

Does anyone know about this? A link?

Some stronger requirements will likely start on Friday, that's all I have heard:

1. Curfew from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am for restaurants, cafés, pubs etc.
  2. Alcohol is prohibited in public places, streets and parks.
  3. Masks must be worn in shopping malls and on highly frequented streets and pedestrian areas.
  4. Private parties in public and rented places are limited to 25 persons. For parties in private places the limitation to max. 10 persons is highly recommended.
  5. Masks must be worn at religious festivals.
  6. When travelling individually with more persons, wearing a mask is highly recommended.

https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/news/news-zur-pandemie-fast-2000-neue-faelle-frankfurt-am-main-vor-warnstufe-rot_id_12459149.html

And there is a public transport warning strike in Frankfurt, Wiesbaden and Kassel tonight till 3am. 

https://www.fnp.de/frankfurt/frankfurt-kassel-wiesbaden-hessen-heute-verdi-streik-oepnv-bus-bahn-chaos-nahverkehr-zr-90053703.html

Stephen Miller, a top aide to President Trump, tests positive for coronavirus

Stephen Miller, President Trump’s senior advisor and speechwriter, tested positive for the coronavirus Tuesday.

A senior administration official said Miller had previously tested negative as White House officials have tried to contain an outbreak on the complex that has infected Trump, the first lady and more than a dozen other aides and associates.

I feel sorry for the police having to deal with idiots like these: https://rp-online.de/panorama/coronavirus/bamberg-hotel-heisst-auch-gaeste-ohne-maske-willkommen-polizeieinsatz_aid-53903781

A hotel in Bamberg advertised with the lettering "Guests without mouth and nose protection are also welcome". The police then intervened for violation of the Infection Protection Act and met with resistance. The landlord and his wife clashed with the police. Four officers were slightly injured during the operation, the police reported on Wednesday. "This ranges from a scratch on the forehead to a sprained finger", a spokesman said. But all of them were back on duty.

A tourist informed the police on Tuesday that the hotel explicitly welcomed guests without masks. Even the staff did not wear any mouth and nose protection during the check, and no attention was paid to distance rules. The hotelier and his wife are said to have filmed the operation despite repeated instructions from the police.

According to the information provided, they refused to hand over their mobile phones and slightly injured the officers. The police are now investigating for assault, resisting law enforcement officers, insulting and violating the Infection Protection Act.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

In the Netherlands, wearing a mask is only mandatory in public transportation. For the rest there is now a strong advice to wear it. Big difference with Germany. If you tell a German "jump" then he/she will ask "how high?". A Dutchie will ask "why?". Complicated and highly individual people. Often anti-authoritarian. The numbers are rising to 4500 cases per day, so I expect new mandatory rules will be implemented soon.

My daughter's school announced today that the first confirmed case of COVID has been found amongst the students.  Testing of the student's family members and classmates is in progress.

The school's policy is that the individual classes are isolated from each other as much as possible, and that masks must be worn in common areas (but not in the classrooms).  Schedules are staggered to avoid mixing of classes in the cafeteria and during recess periods.  Each grade level in the school is assigned a different entrance/exit point.

Of course, none of this prevents the inevitable and constant "free-for-all" maskless mixing before and after school.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a spreading event.  I don't think I can handle homeschooling again :(

https://www.deutschland.de/en/news/coronavirus-in-germany-information

October 8th, 2020: Minister "worried" about Corona situation

Berlin (dpa) - At a joint press conference in Berlin, Federal Health Minister Jens Spahn and the President of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Lothar Wieler, expressed "great concern" at the rising corona figures in Germany. "We do not know how the situation in Germany will develop in the coming weeks. It is possible that we will see more than 10,000 new cases per day. It is possible that the virus will spread uncontrolled". Germany has so far come through the crisis well because of the protection measures in place. Only by following the rules of hygiene and distance could a large proportion of the infections be prevented.

On 7.10.2020, 15:44:27, Space Cowboy said:

I just hope this doesn't turn into a spreading event. 

To give you hope - my kids' school had a case a couple of weeks back - a member of staff, reported on a Saturday. They closed the school on the Monday, tested the classes taught by the teacher in question, and the staff with contact, found 3 more cases in one Klasse 5 - everyone was back to school on the Wednesday, I think, minus the affected class, and there have been no further cases. Our school has similar policies to yours, and although from outside it seems like a bit of a joke, it does seem to have done the trick.

The school down the road had one or two cases, and the same was true - a day of closure to test the affected, and then back to normal for all but a few high-exposure people. No further spread.

Hopefully yours will be no more dramatic.

My son's school had a case 3 weeks ago. They sent home all the classes in the same floor for 2 weeks and tested everyone before returning. All fine now.

A study in Saxony and one in the UK supported the idea that schools, for as yet unknown reasons, are not hotbeds of transmission.

It's one piece of good news in all this.

balticus, that link is enlightening reading, thank you.

We have certainly seen in our town that schools, although allowing for transmission when a case arises, are absolutely not superspreading. 

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

A study in Saxony and one in the UK supported the idea that schools, for as yet unknown reasons, are not hotbeds of transmission.

It's one piece of good news in all this.

I think personally the problem is not the schools and the kids as such but more the parents.

It`s an absolute free for all here when the kids get out.Parents wearing masks and social distancing don`t appear to exist.Get in that crowd,grab your kid and get them in the car appears to be the only priority.

34 minutes ago, Keleth said:

problem is not the schools and the kids as such but more the parents.

It`s an absolute free for all here when the kids get out.Parents wearing masks and social distancing don`t appear to exist.Get in that crowd,grab your kid and get them in the car appears to be the only priority.

Why do the parents get out of the car? Why do they even need to be collected by car? Madness. 

56 minutes ago, Keleth said:

I think personally the problem is not the schools and the kids as such but more the parents.

Totally agree. Our school sets a good example but the Hort is a bit of a joke but is getting better. When collecting the kids from Hort now, you just go as far as the front door where the desk is and they use a Walkie talkie to send the message to the back to send kid X out.

The parents here however are all wearing masks and in the main hanging back from the doors. So far so good but I remain to be convinced that the winter isn't going to be a real shitshow.

26 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Why do the parents get out of the car? Why do they even need to be collected by car? Madness. 

Not everyone lives on a bus route or in walking or cycling distance of a school. That's kind of obvious, I would have thought. You gotta look outside your own bubble a bit more 😉

We are fortunate enough to live within walking distance of our school, though we usually cycle but our school also serves two outlying villages in our Gemeinde where walking and cycling is not safe for kids.