6,203 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Keleth said:

This is alo true of the German app. The tech you need to run it isn`t available on older phones.

I'm not sure how useful these apps are if only a very low percentage of people are downloading and using it correctly. As you say, the app might not work on some phones. Many elderly people don't have phones, let alone up to date smartphones. And these are the people more at risk. :rolleyes: 

What happens if you live in a border region and are regularly in two, or three countries? Do you need multiple apps? Is the app even available to people without a phone number of the country's app. From experience it's not always possible to download apps from other countries without a massive faff around.:rolleyes:

German app works in 10 countries and across borders:).  Downloaded 18 m times in Germany and 400,000 in other countries:). 5000 people have alerted contacts that they were infected, that is 3 to 6 percent of tests have been related to the app alert:). Which is better than nothing:).  Normal track and trace is more about telling people you know that you had contact with, rather than the guy sitting near you on the train for 2 hours:). There are multiple problems with the app, but of course recognising the problems means working out how to improve it:).   This is useful of course to improve the app in the short term, and also develop it for the next pandemic occurs, as it will. :).  Pandemic stupidsmileyface virus perhaps.  I know plenty of 80 year olds that have smart phones and we will all be 80 sooner than we realise.

1 minute ago, snowingagain said:

I know plenty of 80 year olds that have smart phones.

But do they have the latest one that the app can work on? 

1 minute ago, snowingagain said:

German app works in 10 countries and across borders Downloaded 18 m times in Germany and 400,000 in other countries 5000 people have alerted contacts that they were infected, that is 3 to 6 percent of tests have been related to the app alert Which is better than nothing Normal track and trace is more about telling people you know that you had contact with, rather than the guy sitting near you on the train for 2 hours There are multiple problems with the app, but of course recognising the problems means working out how to improve it   This is useful of course to improve the app now, and also develop it for the next,pandemic happens, as it will.

I'm normally sceptical of these things, but here I'm actually impressed.

11 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

But do they have the latest one that the app can work on? 

Here are the official minimum requirements:

[Apple/iOS]: Die App läuft auf iOS-Smartphones ab dem iPhone 6s. Die Version des Betriebssystems muss iOS 13.5 oder höher sein, da mit dieser Version die Exposure Notification API eingeführt wurde.

[Google/Android]: Die App läuft auf Smartphones ab Android 6 ('Marshmallow'). Die Exposure Notification API wurde hier bereits über die Google-Play-Dienste eingespielt.

https://www.coronawarn.app/de/faq/

Android 6.0 is 5 years old. iPhone 6 is 6 years old. iOS is more recent, but iPhone 6 got the update.

I can't find a minimum version of Bluetooth protocol required for this. I think one important point is that Bluetooth 4.0 introduced the low energy mode. Old phones with older bluetooth implementations will have a hard time keeping Bluetooth on all day. I would say Bluetooth low energy limits devices for the past 4-8 years, depending if it is Android or iPhone.

Both limitations add up to:

iPhone: less than 6 years (limited by model)

Android: less than 4 years (limited by availability of BT 4.0 on each specific device).

11 hours ago, lunaCH said:

I'm not sure how useful these apps are if only a very low percentage of people are downloading and using it correctly. As you say, the app might not work on some phones. Many elderly people don't have phones, let alone up to date smartphones. And these are the people more at risk. :rolleyes: 

The App is being used by around 1/4 of the German population.   This is actually a massive success and I really didn't expect this numbers in the country where people do not switch on Location Services because Google will know where I am.

11 hours ago, lunaCH said:

What happens if you live in a border region and are regularly in two, or three countries? Do you need multiple apps? Is the app even available to people without a phone number of the country's app. From experience it's not always possible to download apps from other countries without a massive faff around.:rolleyes:

The German app, like many other apps in multiple countries use the backbone technology developed by Apple+Google, so you had the two giants working together providing the tools for each country to develop their own app because of political reasons.    So as far as lots of people use the same technology it will be OK.   Of course UK decided to develop their own, not sure if they succeed. 

In our family we have all installed the app, until now we are all as "Low Risk".   Let's see what happens this week, one kid in our daughter's gymnasium was infected, and some of the teens in that class have siblings in my son's primary school class.

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/krankenkasse-wegen-corona-pandemie-100-mal-mehr-antraege.1939.de.html?drn:news_id=1177505

Due to the economic crisis in the Corona pandemic, many companies seem to have problems paying the contributions due to health insurance for their employees.

In the case of Techniker Krankenkasse alone, the number of deferral requests increased 60 times. CEO Baas told the newspapers of Funke Mediengruppe that the number of applications for payment by instalments was also 100 times higher than before. Baas also expects a significant increase in contribution rates in the coming years due to the pandemic. The currently planned increase of the additional contribution rate by an average of 0.2 per cent will perhaps postpone the current financial problem of the health insurance funds, but will not solve it, said the head of TK.

The Techniker Krankenkasse has about 10 million insured persons nationwide.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

20 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

:huh: That's the article I posted.

Sorry! Only got back home a short time ago and didn’t read any other posts!🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

18 minutes ago, balticus said:

Which part is obvious?

Sorry - i meant which part is obvious, Captain?    ;) 

If people are waiting for a vaccine to save the world .. just like that.. zack, 8 billion people.. line up in an orderly queue! Madness. Vaccine just out, folks! All queue up! Have a wonderful unproven ( long term ) jab! 

PS: not in a conspiracy mode here.. it is the logistics..

26 minutes ago, john g. said:

If people are waiting for a vaccine to save the world .. just like that.. zack, 8 billion people.. line up in an orderly queue! Madness. Vaccine just out, folks! All queue up! Have a wonderful unproven ( long term ) jab! PS: not in a conspiracy mode here.. it is the logistics..

Presumably all standing 2 metres apart? Pretty long queue. 

That aside, many people won't have it done for so many different reasons. It would take many years to get everyone vaccinated.

Exactly! Ok, sure - work on a vaccine and we need to understand these are unusual times- so hygiene etc and not kissing a total stranger on the chops in the bar ( whilst sober!) but , my God , there has to be some kind of gradual return to normal life. Otherwise, half the population will end up needing psychiatric care. 🙁