6,203 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, john g. said:

I moaned to him how I found it hard to breathe with the mask on ( and particularly in the heat right now ) and he said: „ yeah, but at least you‘re allowed to take it off when you leave this mini- market. We are not allowed to be without a mask anywhere in Australia.“

Same in my home county in the US.

8 hours ago, john g. said:

Funnily enough ( or not ), I was at our local mini-market earlier today ( with my mask on ) and an Australian was in there buying a couple of beers. He spoke in English -  so I recognised the accent.

I moaned to him how I found it hard to breathe with the mask on ( and particularly in the heat right now ) and he said: „ yeah, but at least you‘re allowed to take it off when you leave this mini- market. We are not allowed to be without a mask anywhere in Australia.“

And the problem is that this is how it will end up in many places if people cannot be sensible.

The rules in Germany are not exactly draconian but still people struggle to follow them or think it`s the macho thing to do not to follow them.

Somehow in many countries Corona has been turned into a political football to be used to score points against your opposition and it ends up with many people just thinking it is harmless.

Everyone laughs (me included) at the efficiency and willingness to obey rules of the Germans but it seems to have helped an awful lot over here with a few exceptions.

11 hours ago, john g. said:

actually that Aussie bloke is not correct. Only in one state, Victoria, is that somewhat true.  In most states life is essentially normal and in some states no mask wearing has been

introduced at any time

11 hours ago, john g. said:

Funnily enough ( or not ), I was at our local mini-market earlier today ( with my mask on ) and an Australian was in there buying a couple of beers. He spoke in English -  so I recognised the accent.

As an afterthought one thing I don't expect the change anytime soon is how businesses have reaction.. No face to face meetings no travel, work from home etc. Same with conferences etc, unfortunately the knock-on effect of that will be huge.

The no travel, no conferences etc is actually beneficial for me professionally, Rushrush.

I am able to keep up to date with my business know how by the recent trend for companies to offer Webinars!

Great! I am not missing out on anything and can basically follow such Webinars in Germany several times a week as it stands at the moment.

I think people are really getting nuts, some airlines offered what they call "Flights to Nowhere", so, you take the plane, fly 2-4-6 hours around and land in the same place.   Those flights sold out in a matter of minutes and now more airlines are thinking in doing the same.     Seriously?   Aeroplanes are the worst thing ever for the planet and now they are flying for no reason.

16 minutes ago, Krieg said:

you take the plane, fly 2-4-6 hours around and land in the same place.   Those flights sold out in a matter of minutes and now more airlines are thinking in doing the same.

Unless it is a specific scenic route or flyover, there is no reason for this. It's totally shameful and disgraceful. It just proves that people have more money than sense and are willing to toss money down the drain. And the airlines doing this are clearly run by small children.

The flights should at least go somewhere and come back again, thus serving a purpose, like carrying mail, parcels, supplies to smaller regional airports etc.

15 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I think people are really getting nuts, some airlines offered what they call "Flights to Nowhere", so, you take the plane, fly 2-4-6 hours around and land in the same place.   Those flights sold out in a matter of minutes and now more airlines are thinking in doing the same.     Seriously?   Aeroplanes are the worst thing ever for the planet and now they are flying for no reason.

I don't get why anybody would do that.  If you want to get strapped up in a seat for 2-4 hrs. you can go sit in your car.  Don't even have to turn it on and it's free.  If you want the flight attendant experience, you can have a friend walk up and offer you an overpriced soft drink and a crappy sandwich.

9 minutes ago, LeonG said:

If you want to get strapped up in a seat for 2-4 hrs. you can go sit in your car.  Don't even have to turn it on and it's free.

But you'd miss out on those all important duty-free purchases. :)

5f6da0fec89e8_4g846d1.jpg.1d59805e6fd50a

46 minutes ago, LeonG said:

If you want the flight attendant experience, you can have a friend walk up and offer you an overpriced soft drink and a crappy sandwich.

And when you try to get out of the car to go to the bathroom, have your friend start shaking the car and tell you to stay seated due to turbulence. Then he can spill your drink all over you and apologize profusely.

2 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

And when you try to get out of the car to go to the bathroom, have your friend start shaking the car and tell you to stay seated due to turbulence. Then he can spill your drink all over you and apologize profusely.

Don't forget to play sounds of baby crying for about 50% of the time.

5 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Use the friend's car and pay them a small fortune for the privilege.

It's Friday isn't it...

I was thinking that we should get together and start our own company offering this service.

In hamsters at least artificially produced antibodies have been proven to be effective, raising hope for a passive immunisation becoming available:

In collaboration with the German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE), scientists at Charité initially isolated almost 600 different antibodies from the blood of people who had survived COVID-19 disease. Using laboratory tests, they were able to limit this number to a few particularly effective specimens and then artificially reproduce them using cell cultures - virtually in a Petri dish, as it were.

As structural analyses show, the so-called neutralizing antibodies identified bind to the virus and thus prevent it from entering cells and multiplying. In addition, the detection of the virus by antibodies helps to eliminate the pathogen from immune cells.

deepl-translation from: https://www.doccheck.com/de/detail/articles/29541-sars-cov-2-hochwirksame-antikoerper-gefunden?utm_source=DC-Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DocCheck-News_2020-09-25&utm_content=asset&utm_term=article&sc_src=email_576901&sc_lid=35301425&sc_uid=Db8MAdNNja&sc_llid=141504&sc_customer=u4j917tcs4

36 minutes ago, optimista said:

Being a hamster is quite an appealing thought to me at the moment.

Said Richard Gere! 

Yet another failure in the UK...

flop.jpg.aad9a8eed56cb2a35dfa6663c03d499

But the government will blame the general public... again

11 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Yet another failure in the UK...

flop.jpg.aad9a8eed56cb2a35dfa6663c03d499

But the government will blame the general public... again

This is alo true of the German app.

The tech you need to run it isn`t available on older phones.

It`s like a company bringing out UHD for TVs and people complaining it won`t run on their toasters.