4,885 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Time will tell who had the right hunch. And everybody else then will look silly so take care of what you present here.

More like:  The world, after a massive effort and a never seen before teamwork, will manage to find a solution to the problem and things will go back to normal and then all the deniers will say "I told you so, it was not a big deal".

P.S.  And the Jeremies of the world will say it was all a conspiracy.

56 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

" Now, this is just my hunch, but based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this."

I don't know @Wherearewegoingto, a hunch based on conversations with other people who like to make hunches (or perhaps who like to have conversations)....sounds pretty scientific.

CDC in the US is headed for an "oh dear". I know one big pharma which is already in the doo doo (unconnected to this).

@KriegWhile I'd love to see the world doing that my experience with people is very much different. I see people thinking they can afford to be derogatory to everyone around them. I see people sending coughing children returning from Italy to school. I see people traveling recklessly cause now its cheaper.

@dstanners I didn't want to promote that specific hunch referred to as being correct. I am a scientific based person and I really enjoy how people sometimes come up with very interesting high level fact Information here. However seeing how people behave around Corona makes me want to resort to prayers me and my family will belong to the right percentage.

I am ready to help with Kriegs approach.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

Why are Italy numbers much worse?

Italy has a very aged population, second only to  Japan. Also they were impacted more on small towns, which have a larger percentage of old people. Large cities like Wuhan have a lot of young people, skewing stats.

Proving how many people didn't get it because you took action is impossible and begging for exploitation. Surely God protected all those righteous people who did not get sick. Try proving he didn't. It's the same argument.

22 minutes ago, optimista said:

Proving how many people didn't get it because you took action is impossible and begging for exploitation. Surely God protected all those righteous people who did not get sick. Try proving he didn't. It's the same argument.

You do not need to prove common sense.   Do you check left and right before crossing the street?  I bet yes.    Why should we call nutters people who try to prevent the virus?

3 hours ago, balticus said:

Based on demographic data hastily assembled from disparate resources, with poor or narrowly available testing resources from actors who may not be competent or honest. 

1983:  if you are not a gay man or IV drug user, your chances of contracting HIV are almost zero.

If your posts discourage people from preparing, you have done the board a huge disservice.

"Hastily assembled data" -  from WHO?

Do you have any other source that contradicts what I have said or are you scare-mongering out of your ass?

When did I ever say you shouldn't prepare?  Most preparation will be necessary because of panic buying and other panic reactions which are also a disservice.  

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

The countries with better results at controlling it are China and Singapore, both countries did everything you are calling nonsense, people wore masks and they spray the hell out of sanitizer wherever they suspected the virus was.

The masks do not work.  There is basically no expert who says that a healthy person wearing one in public is a good idea. 

Here from the WHO if you don't believe me: 

Only wear a mask if you are ill with COVID-19 symptoms (especially coughing) or looking after someone who may have COVID-19. Disposable face mask can only be used once. If you are not ill or looking after someone who is ill then you are wasting a mask. There is a world-wide shortage of masks, so WHO urges people to use masks wisely.

WHO advises rational use of medical masks to avoid unnecessary wastage of precious resources and mis-use of masks (see Advice on the use of masks).

The most effective ways to protect yourself and others against COVID-19 are to frequently clean your hands, cover your cough with the bend of elbow or tissue and maintain a distance of at least 1 meter (3 feet) from people who are coughing or sneezing. See basic protective measures against the new coronavirus for more information

So yes.  Nonsense and counterproductive.

Just because lots of people do a thing does not make that thing a good idea.

50 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

The masks do not work.  There is basically no expert who says that a healthy person wearing one in public is a good idea. 

I read last week that masks are categorized as FFP1 - FFP3. Only FFP3 protects against bacteria, mould  and viruses though not necessarily this virus.  As many people are using single use, less than FFP3, most certainly pointless. 

82664C04-4FDF-4C5D-95F6-8F73321A009C.jpe

And I heard that it isnt to prevent getting the virus... its to help prevent the further spread of it...assuming that they think we all spit when we speak and no one coughs into their elbow..

2 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

A single ffp3 mask is 15 Euro. So people will reuse them.

Rendering them more than useless. FFS.

What's more, all the panic buying means emergency response and health workers are facing shortages.

There is absolutely no reason to wear a mask unless you're infected and have to move around in public. If you're hoarding masks, donate them to your local doctor/hospital, where they'll do much more good.

44 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

And I heard that it isnt to prevent getting the virus... its to help prevent the further spread of it...assuming that they think we all spit when we speak and no one coughs into their elbow..

I have become aware of how often I touch my face.  I never noticed that before.  Strange how much we do without thinking.

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

Here from the WHO if you don't believe me: 

So yes.  Nonsense and counterproductive.

Just because lots of people do a thing does not make that thing a good idea.

N95 masks are very good, but it is a pain in the butt to wear it the whole day.   The surgical masks offer lower to very little protection depending on which level they are.   

But masks in general provide indirect protection, it helps you to stop putting your hands in your mouth and nose involuntarily.

10 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

I have become aware of how often I touch my face.  I never noticed that before.  Strange how much we do without thinking.

Oh, the irony.

P.S., Some companies are already providing masks for their employees, in our company masks were giving away in the branches were we had already confirmed infected people visiting.    While I agree the priority should be to the medical workers, someone has to run the basics of the country, you would expect that you can somehow find food and pay if things get bad.    I like how people talk about the no need of this and no need of that based on the current situation, like the problem will not get worse at all.

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

Yeeees. Working at a cash register where I can even TASTE the awful smoke from some customers who are smokers (of course I don't smoke) there is certainly not enough distance there to prevent spreading any kind of yuck, corona or not. Distance between the register and the customer less than 1 metre.