5,814 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Let's hope they do quarantine. Is this checked? 

What happens if you enter via road or rail? There are no checks whatsoever and all borders are open!

AFAIK, there are checks by road and rail. Same as airport. Austria is doing the same. That's why a week ago there were 10h lines to enter some road austrian borders!

9 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

AFAIK, there are checks by road and rail. Same as airport. Austria is doing the same. That's why a week ago there were 10h lines to enter some road austrian borders!

I'm not sure where you cross by rail or road with checks. I have never seen any and I cross the Swiss/German border at least twice a day and sometimes up to ten times in a day whether by bus, rail or on foot. ;)

Also any resident of Germany landing in Zurich (which is our closest airport down here) and then making their way home by whatever means, is subject to no checks whatsoever. :rolleyes: 

And this is exactly how the virus spread northwards so rapidly in the first place. The Swiss government - who in my view should all resign over this - hesitated for almost 2 months before closing the border with Italy where the most cases were. Had they have done their job and closed it immediately, thousands of cases and hundreds of deaths could have been prevented. Some of those deaths will have been in Germany with people coming from Italy and merely transiting Switzerland.

It is basically over.    The virus has mostly run its course.    Heavy restrictions will continue to do damage to the economy and exacerbate non-COVID medical and social problems.  

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 08.38.41.png

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 08.38.59.png

1 hour ago, balticus said:

It is basically over.    The virus has mostly run its course.    Heavy restrictions will continue to do damage to the economy and exacerbate non-COVID medical and social problems.

Try telling that to those who have lost loved-ones solely owing to the government's sheer incompetence. :rolleyes:

Which heavy restrictions?  nowadays you can do anything you want, except joining mass events.

Honestly I've been trying to understand what those protesters in Berlin are protesting against, but I really do not get it.   I obviously ignore the ones protesting against 5G and Bill Gates' vaccination with nanobots for world domination.    Is it really a big deal that you can't go to giant parties and concerts for a while?

The industry and economy damage IMO at the moment is not really because of restrictions, it is mostly because the people themselves are not ready to go back to normality.   Tourism in Europe took a big hit during the summer even when traveling was allowed.   You can't force people just like that to increase their spending, it has to happen naturally and it will take time.   The government could give some incentives for spending, but they already reduced VAT by 3 points for the whole second semester.

Give it another month or so and I fear the facts will prove you wrong yet again!

3 hours ago, lunaCH said:

I'm not sure where you cross by rail or road with checks. I have never seen any and I cross the Swiss/German border at least twice a day and sometimes up to ten times in a day whether by bus, rail or on foot. ;)

No checks happening here on my border and I live within 15 minutes of 3 different official crossings plus entrance by train and on foot.

Also any resident of Germany landing in Zurich (which is our closest airport down here) and then making their way home by whatever means, is subject to no checks whatsoever. :rolleyes: 

That is the case. We called ZRH airport authorities to double check on it since we are flying to a high risk country on 13.09. We plan on quarantining and testing upon our return, but this is not actually being controlled. Under the current system the German authorities have no way of knowing who has been back and forth and where they have been if ZRH is one‘s base airport.  

Edit: And I just looked up and see there is no obligation to wear a mask in ZRH, just a recommendation to do so if distancing isn’t possible!  🤦‍♀️

infections.jpg.06eee35fa6e75b533b6641e72

This is the graph of daily new Covid-19 infections in Germany over the last 7 weeks, the dips correspond to weekends, the highest peak is 1,737

2 hours ago, balticus said:

Check my post on the previous page. Weak lockdowns have no economical benefit. Sweden´s economy was hit as bad or worst than neighboring countries.

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

there is no obligation to wear a mask in ZRH, just a recommendation to do so if distancing isn’t possible!

Correct. Zurich airport is not a shop. Currently there is only a requirement to wear masks in shops in canton Zurich, but not in any of the neighbouring cantons! Information is subject to change! 

You'll probably need to mask up for your duty frees mind you! ;)

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Check my post on the previous page. Weak lockdowns have no economical benefit. Sweden´s economy was hit as bad or worst than neighboring countries.

COVID has roughly the same risk as any other flu right now.    

Belgium and Peru both enacted strong lockdowns and mask requirements.   Sweden has shown the world the correct way.  

Set up a categorical variable for degree of lockdown and you might notice that there is no correlation between strength of lockdown and case load.

It would be interesting to see obesity rates at a granular level and determine the correlation (which smaller studies have definitely established).  

Wrong.

Belgium and Peru both enacted strong lockdowns and mask requirements.   Sweden has shown the world the correct way.  

Wrong.

Set up a categorical variable for degree of lockdown and you might notice that there is no correlation between strength of lockdown and case load.

I can easily show that there is no correlation between strength of lockdown and economical impact.

If you had to choose between the two which one would you pick?

We drove in through the Netherlands about 10 days ago, and there were huge signs above the motorway telling people to get tested if they are driving in from somewhere high-risk. No checks to see where people had come from and what their plans were to get tested.

On 02/09/2020, 14:34:03, jeba said:

If you had to choose between the two which one would you pick?

Preferring one set of symptoms to another doesn't change the perception of risk. 

If you are giving betting odds of contracting either, i could probably work something up considering that i am not obese or overweight and generally very healthy.   

On 2.9.2020, 10:13:45, Krieg said:

Is it really a big deal that you can't go to giant parties and concerts for a while?

At least in Berlin it seems to be...

13 hours ago, HEM said:

At least in Berlin it seems to be...

The demo happened in Berlin, but they came from everywhere in Germany.