5,101 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, optimista said:

Women generally have smaller nostrils than men. And teenage girls even smaller still. Most old men's nostrils are pretty big by comparison. Things relax with age. Which is why your ears get longer. Anyway, back to noses. Young females may have less air going in those tiny nostrils, making it harder for some to breath behind a mask than others. Yes, really. I have one of those turned up noses. Masks squash my nose downwards significantly restricting air flow. Yes, really. Some people have softer or harder cartilage at the end of their noses and longer or shorter nasal bones. Yes, really. So some people are gonna suffer more with masks than others.

You're welcome. You did ask.

Yet funnily enough many women wear a mask for many hours a day at their work.

9 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Back to the lockdown skeptics noticed this on twitter.

I can’t imagine how hard it is for people who were not allowed to say goodbye to their loved ones to watch John Lewis’s funeral today, where politicians and elites packed into pews with little social distancing. The rules only apply to some, it seems.

EeNM6rmWsAE7T5p.jpg

Murica.

Rules vary according to power and status...😟
Sometimes positive and useful but not always.

25 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Because they have to? Just like our robinson on here in her supermarket. I must say I would hate to have to wear a mask for a full shift at work. It would drive me crazy for sure.

5 hours ago, Keleth said:

I am not sure I buy the small soft nose explanation.

My observation was that wearing a mask but leaving the nose uncovered was an issue with young women and teenage girls, not women in general! I was wondering if it was a fad of some kind or an attempt to show rebellion?

I think winter will bring a massive second wave of this thing as gathering outdoors becomes significantly less comfortable.

Chances will be taken.

I'm also wondering about the next few weeks as kids begin school. This is a big family event (at least in the former GDR territory) with families traveling to be there for the day.

According to Svt news: 4 deaths and 322 new cases since yesterday. And there is still " lockdown" on bigger group gatherings.  It's recommended not to travel on buses and trains. Funerals and weddings are small family affairs. Still a ban on visiting care homes and so on. Amusement parks are closed. Music festivals cancelled. 

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

According to this https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ there have been 9 deaths and 45 new infections, as of yesterday in Sweden!

Look at date of death versus date of reporting death to understand the discrepancies. 

Sweden's approach seems to have worked so far.

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Look at date of death versus date of reporting death to understand the discrepancies. 

Sweden's approach seems to have worked so far.

No, it isn't worth the candle. Sweden screwed up even they have accepted that, why can't you?

Anyone in Berlin, huge anti lockdown vaccine Bill Gates protest going on now.

via twitter

As Germany is experiencing a strong increase of new #COVID19 cases, this is happening right now in Berlin. #b0108 A “Day of Freedom” with conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers & right-wing extremists. No one is wearing a mask.

As an aside Holland decided against mandating masks, as according to the government there they aren't effective. Social distancing is preferred. My comment was that this is really hard to do in an Aldi or Lidl.

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Sweden screwed up even they have accepted that...

What are you talking about?

Anders Tegnell is guilty of humble-brags but has not wavered on the strategy.

Swedes didn't universally follow the government's policies of course! Many did choose to wear masks rather than infect others. If they hadn't, it would have been closer to US hotspots.

Just now, murphaph said:

If they hadn't, it would have been closer to US hotspots.

Do you have some evidence rather than speculation for that claim?

You should be glad that one country had the courage to go a different way and act as a beacon of light to those still afraid to confront unpleasant truths.

Yeah whatever. Moving swiftly on, England will slow down its lockdown easing as hotspots flare up.

The Scottish government has issued a warning about traveling to parts of England.

17 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Why send people to an event that was canceled an hour ago, Rushrush? The organizer broke it up as soon as the police charged him.

I wonder if the big uptick in cases today is related to the protest yesterday. 

Video on FB today Dr Fauci refused to say whether protests can spread the virus, and more importantly should the government prevent protests. Rather embarrassing if you ask me. I think the science is pretty obvious. I guess he's looking to get a position in Biden's government.