5,387 posts in this topic

That is why we go the end of Feb. and don't stay in those places even though they are empty. Ugly, cheap hotels, etc. This year, Soller was nice. 

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

Looks like they fucked it for everybody...

https://www.dw.com/en/mallorca-coronavirus/a-54207768

Is anyone really surprised? Young people need a valve. Someone offers you cheap booze - two for one or whatever. Go for it. Locked down for months, lousy weather back home. The chance to flirt around and be stupid anyway. A week or two away from home.

Inevitable. 
Not good as far as virus danger is concerned  but expected. 

Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine triggers immune response

A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and triggers an immune response.

Trials involving 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and T-cells that can fight coronavirus.

The findings are hugely promising, but it is still too soon to know if this is enough to offer protection and larger trials are under way.

The UK has already ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine.

Wondering if anyone is following the Lockdown  skeptics based out of the UK. I’ve been following them and I can’t quite figure out where they are coming from. Are they complete denialist or skeptical of lockdowns. One point of contention they use is that there has been no increase in the death rate, this goes against what the NY Times found where there was, across the board, a big increase in death rates.  Funny thing is Toby Young is the person behind this and I support him financially via Quillette!

Edit: a comment I left on FB in regards to this article.

am with him on the lockdown, I've said many times that the cure will be worse than the disease but I feel that he tends to down play the seriousness of Covid and that is my bone of contention with him.

As an example it's true that most deaths are those over 80 or, in America, Black and Latinos (due to poverty and a lack of universal healthcare) but what he ignores is that this is not your common garden variety flu where you're sick for a week and get over it. It's a very nasty virus that leaves many people with long term disabilities.

-and-

Regarding masks I think he is completely wrong here, Covid is transmitted like the regular flu, via the air. Wearing a mask reduces the chances of you infecting someone else, quite simple.

Interview with Toby Young

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpP6ZDUdle8

Somebody finally learned.

• President Donald Trump on Thursday moved to cancel the Jacksonville, Florida, portions of August's Republican National Convention, citing the threat of the coronavirus.
  • "I told my team it's time to cancel the Jacksonville, Florida, component of the GOP convention," Trump said at a White House briefing on the coronavirus.
  • The announcement marked a staggering turnaround for Trump, who pushed for the convention to be moved from Charlotte, North Carolina, after a fight with the state's Democratic governor over coronavirus precautions.

Must be hard for him to admit how glaringly and irredeemably wrong he was.

Stephen Miller’s Grandmother Died of COVID-19. Her Son Blames the Trump Administration. Naturally, Miller acted like the shit-heeled equivocator he is and will always be. All of his evil will eventually be returned to him and anyone who agrees with him tenfold.

This month, Stephen Miller, the extremist anti-immigrant Trump adviser who has promoted white nationalist ideas, lost a relative to the coronavirus pandemic, and his uncle tells Mother Jones that the Trump administration is partly to blame for this death.

On July 4, David Glosser, the brother of Miller’s mother, posted a Facebook note announcing the death of his mother, Ruth Glosser, who was Miller’s maternal grandmother:

This morning my mother, Ruth Glosser, died of the late effects of COVID-19 like so many thousands of other people; both young and old. She survived the acute infection but was left with lung and neurological damage that destroyed her will to eat and her ability to breathe well enough to sustain arousal and consciousness. Over an 8-week period she gradually slipped away and died peacefully this morning. 

David Glosser is a retired neuropsychologist and passionate Trump critic who has publicly decried Miller for his anti-immigrant policies, and he contends that Trump’s initial “lack of a response” to the coronavirus crisis led to the deaths of tens of thousands of Americans who might have otherwise survived. In an interview, he says, “With the death of my mother, I’m angry and outraged at [Miller] directly and the administration he has devoted his energy to supporting.”

In response to a request seeking comment from Miller, a White House spokesperson sent Mother Jones this statement: 

This is categorically false, and a disgusting use of so-called journalism when the family deserves privacy to mourn the loss of a loved one. His grandmother did not pass away from COVID. She was diagnosed with COVID in March and passed away in July so that timeline does not add up at all. His grandmother died peacefully in her sleep from old age. I would hope that you would choose not to go down this road.

Glosser, a former health professional, posted his mother’s death announcement on a public Facebook page. Responding to the White House statement, he writes in an email, “Keeping the tragic facts about COVID deaths of our countrymen and women, young and old, from the American public serves no purpose other than to obscure the need for a coherent national, scientifically based, public health response to save others from this disease. My mother led a long, satisfying, productive life of family and community service. She had nothing to be ashamed of, and concealing her cause of death to offer ‘privacy’ to me, our family, her hundreds of relatives and friends, does nothing to assuage our regret at her loss.”

Just spoke to a friend who caught the virus 3 months ago. He as well as his wife (both in their 50ies) are still suffering from mainly neurological symptoms (memory loss, speaking words they didn´t intend to, loss of smell and taste, dizziness...) as well as extreme fatigue and breathing difficulties. Both aren´t members of a high risk group. He said he doesn´t recommend catching it.

7 hours ago, jeba said:

He said he doesn´t recommend catching it.

Thanks for the advice, when I see the virus coming I will make sure I hide behind a tree.

On 28/07/2020, 06:20:38, RenegadeFurther said:

Thanks for the advice, when I see the virus coming I will make sure I hide behind a tree.

Well you will know what it looks like, it won't have a mask!

Coronavirus: German officials 'very concerned' by rising cases

The head of Germany's public health agency has said he is "very concerned" by rising infections in the country.

"We are in the middle of a rapidly developing pandemic," Lothar Wieler, head of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), told reporters.

Mr Wieler said Germans had become "negligent" and urged people to wear masks and respect social distancing and hygiene rules.

In the past week the country has recorded 3,611 new infections.

The warning comes as countries across Europe grapple with new infections and the problem of travellers moving across the continent for the summer holidays.

On Tuesday Germany issued a travel warning for three regions in Spain - Aragón, Catalonia and Navarra - which have seen a recent spike in infections.

On 7/27/2020, 10:33:30, jeba said:

Just spoke to a friend who caught the virus 3 months ago. He as well as his wife (both in their 50ies) are still suffering from mainly neurological symptoms (memory loss, speaking words they didn´t intend to, loss of smell and taste, dizziness...) as well as extreme fatigue and breathing difficulties. Both aren´t members of a high risk group. He said he doesn´t recommend catching it.

Interesting, there's a small, but very vocal subset of people, best typified by Zuby who tweeted

One of the most reprehensible things about this whole pandemic is we've known for ages that it primarily impacts the elderly. Those under 60 are v. low risk. Yet we are STILL running with this dumb one size fits all approach, rather than sensibly focusing on the vulnerable

-and-

Given the extremely low prevalence of testing, those 0.2% numbers are also probably inflated... So much foolishness, propaganda, and emotion running rampant. So many illogical decisions. Its frustrating. I hate talking about it.

I can't quite figure out what their end game is. Best I can figure is they want to live the lockdown, go back to normal as much as possible but lock everyone over 60 up. Complicating this is the fact that the notion that the virus is 'woke' so BLM protests/riots are 100% OK. 

Any idea how your freind caught it?

On 29.7.2020, 09:22:13, keith2011 said:

Well you will know what it looks like, it won't have a mask!

Joking aside, I have been avoiding public transport for quite a while now, even though I have a season ticket.

Today, I took my first trip on the U Bahn for 4 stops, as I figured it was about time to start getting back to normal. On the station walls, there were signs telling all pasangers to wear masks. I did and so did most of the other people on the platforms and trains.

There were some who didn't however. Mainly twenty somethings, and I have to wonder how they could get away with it. Is it totally impossible for BVG to put people on the trains to enforce this simple rule or to stop idiots like this from getting on the trains etc? They seemed to have had enough ticket inspectors in the past.

1 hour ago, Acton said:

Joking aside, I have been avoiding public transport for quite a while now, even though I have a season ticket.

Today, I took my first trip on the U Bahn for 4 stops, as I figured it was about time to start getting back to normal. On the station walls, there were signs telling all pasangers to wear masks. I did and so did most of the other people on the platforms and trains.

There were some who didn't however. Mainly twenty somethings, and I have to wonder how they could get away with it. Is it totally impossible for BVG to put people on the trains to enforce this simple rule or to stop idiots like this from getting on the trains etc? They seemed to have had enough ticket inspectors in the past.

Germans tend to be more law abiding but in the US it's become a huge issue, force me to wear a mask I'll convince you at the end of my open carry!

2 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Any idea how your friend caught it?

Pointless question when you can get it off surfaces, asymptomatic sufferers and passers-by who happen to cough in your direction.

I reluctantly don a mask without believing it is doing a whole load of good. It's great when you have to sneeze. But it is time to adapt. Hopefully it will have some preventive effect. Don't mention the trash piling up though.

19 minutes ago, optimista said:

Pointless question when you can get it off surfaces, asymptomatic sufferers and passers-by who happen to cough in your direction.

Not at all, was this person on holidays, did they go out for an evening at a bar, nightclub, a walk along a crowded beach front.Were they in large groups of people,did they join one of the many BLM protests/riots etc. 

1 hour ago, Rushrush said:

Germans tend to be more law abiding but in the US it's become a huge issue, force me to wear a mask I'll convince you at the end of my open carry!

I wear a mask wherever legally required here in Greece. The rules keep changing. I have no idea if masks are really effective but I wouldn‘t like to think I might have passed on this shitty virus to an unsuspecting stranger.

Anyway, I look gorgeous in a mask and can postpone my dental cleaning appointment because no one will notice anyway!

30 minutes ago, optimista said:

It's enough to touch a door handle.

That's no longer true, they've figured out thst it's transmitted 99.99% of the time via the air. It's why we wear masks indoors and at crowded outdoor events.