5,124 posts in this topic

@keith2011 The death rate is falling, down to "normal", but confirmed cases are rising, due to more tests. It looks like most experts are now saying that an earlier and tighter lockdown would have saved lives, especially among the older population. There are also fears of a "second wave". 

Good news from the Netherlands: only 20 patients on IC remaining. It used to be ca. 1200. Also, number of daily deaths in low single digit for more than a week now, sometimes even zero.

@keith2011, fatalities were dropping linearly, but as with other countries, the last 25% is no longer linear and seems a bit stuck. Even at a linear rate it looks like it will take 20 more days to get close to zero, putting the total death count at over 5600.

Bad news from Portugal. Although the rest of the country is quite "clean", Lisbon is having serious issues in immigrant/gypsies/refugee neighborhoods since 4 weeks.

Even the police is having problems to maintain the order there. They are not respecting social distance, they keep going to the (most of times illegal) coffee shops and throwing parties. Now daily fatalities are again rising, when 2 weeks ago they were near zero.

I'm flying next week, but to the north of the country, which only shows a few new cases per day.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Bad news from Portugal. Although the rest of the country is quite "clean", Lisbon is having serious issues in immigrant/gypsies/refugee neighborhoods since 4 weeks.

Even the police is having problems to maintain the order there. They are not respecting social distance, they keep going to the (most of times illegal) coffee shops and throwing parties. Now daily fatalities are again rising, when 2 weeks ago they were near zero.

I'm flying next week, but to the north of the country, which only shows a few new cases per day.

I'm going to Lisbon next week but I doubt I'll be going to illegal coffee shops or throwing parties.

12 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Is that why the UK have not included Portugal in their list of countries from which travellers do not have to quarantine?

14 hours ago, LeonG said:

I'm going to Lisbon next week but I doubt I'll be going to illegal coffee shops or throwing parties.

It's not Lisbon center, just the surrounding towns.

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Is that why the UK have not included Portugal in their list of countries from which travellers do not have to quarantine?

Yes, although it is plain stupid, it is much safer in Portugal now than in the UK. Outside Lisbon we have less than 100 cases per day. We are talking 100 cases per day for 7-8 million people.

Overall it's around 350 cases per day for 10 million.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

It's not Lisbon center, just the surrounding towns.

Which towns are bad?  I will be in Cascais.

3 hours ago, LeonG said:

Which towns are bad?  I will be in Cascais.

Cascais is fine, but nearby Sintra and Loures (most towns in the municipalities) are not.

A German friend has just arrived back in our Cretan village after a direct flight from Munich. We Skyped briefly. He had to have some kind of test at the airport in Heraklion and has to await the results before he will be allowed to leave his house here.

He has a rental car and I don’t know what else he had to prove.

He told me he expects the results tonight. 

15 hours ago, john g. said:

A German friend has just arrived back in our Cretan village after a direct flight from Munich. We Skyped briefly. He had to have some kind of test at the airport in Heraklion and has to await the results before he will be allowed to leave his house here.

He has a rental car and I don’t know what else he had to prove.

He told me he expects the results tonight. 

Iceland is also testing tourists and they are supposed to stay put until they get the results a day later.  Portugal is making you fill out a form stating which flight you arrived on and where you sat and how they can reach you so that if somebody on that flight ends up being infected they can trace other people who were on the same flight.

Look at your calendar: right now is 'long before the end of the year', and there's not even a smidgeon of vaccine on the horizon, though Trump appears to claim a vaccine is imminent. 

Has Trump actually ever conceded that he was wrong when he claimed back in February that there were only 15 cases in the US and even those would soon be reduced to zero?

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Has Trump actually ever conceded that he was wrong when he claimed back in February that there were only 15 cases in the US and even those would soon be reduced to zero?

If he ever says he was wrong it will be another lie, sounding as insincere as anything he is forced to read off a teleprompter.  Narcissists never apologise, never say they were wrong. 

1 hour ago, jeba said:

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Have you ever conceded that banging on about how you will use the n word unless someone with a different tone of skin colour is present. Oh sorry I forgot you now changed your story to: you never use the word because it's outdated. But not in a discriminatory sense but"only" outdated like the word Gevatter. 

10 hours ago, Namu said:

Have you ever conceded that banging on about how you will use the n word unless someone with a different tone of skin colour is present. Oh sorry I forgot you now changed your story to: you never use the word because it's outdated. But not in a discriminatory sense but"only" outdated like the word Gevatter. 

Didn´t you say you were done discussing with me? Anyway, I haven´t changed my story - you´re just trying to give it a different spin. And that´s the last time I´m dignifying you with a response.

16 hours ago, katheliz said:

Look at your calendar: right now is 'long before the end of the year', and there's not even a smidgeon of vaccine on the horizon, though Trump appears to claim a vaccine is imminent. 

Ah, clearly a conspiracy by the drug companies to delay a vaccine and discredit Trump even further to stop him being re-elected. What's the betting that as soon as the Democrats win a vaccine will be magically discovered. We can but hope for both out comes!