4,977 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Lorelei said:

Oh, look at this. UK government to make face coverings on public transport mandatory. Wow!

Face coverings to be mandatory on public transport in UK from 15 June

Why has it taken them so long?! Unbelievable. And what about other situations where social distancing is impossible?

Widen rules on where face coverings must be used, say UK doctors

I really hope their handling of this crisis costs the Tories the next election.

Will that include all the protest marches that we're now allowed to leave home for shame free. Even Piers Morgan is for breaking the rules as long as it's for BLM

"Malaria drug didn’t help virus patients, big UK study finds"

"Oh dear...seems the 200 year old Lancet is in huge legal trouble. "

So we have 2 studies that reach opposite conclusions both of which use the same, now, discredited medical database. Furthermore the company that owns the suspect database seems to be very shady.

Looks to be very much a case of GIGO!

7 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Will that include all the protest marches that we're now allowed to leave home for shame free. Even Piers Morgan is for breaking the rules as long as it's for BLM

Yet the other side is happy to break the rules if it means they can go and have a beer.

You won`t want to hear this but basically this is all because the UK govt fucked up their handling of the situation from the start.

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

Yet the other side is happy to break the rules if it means they can go and have a beer.

You won`t want to hear this but basically this is all because the UK govt fucked up their handling of the situation from the start.

A comment I posted on FB

Just imagine how much money the city could rake in if they handed out those $800 tickets like they did to the kid playing basket ball by himself or the lady who stepped off the path to social distance from other walkers. Even better fine the organizers a 100 grand each like the people enjoying the beach! Think of the money the government could rake in!!!!

Edit: politicians will be exempt, if PM or MP or state representative comes they will be exempt as the rules don't apply to them.

Edit: my beef isn't with protesting, being outdoors greatly reduces the risk of transmission but with the government handled this.

Somebody is getting countries and currencies all mixed up while getting his knickers in a twist. :D 

*wanders off, laughing*

News from Sweden: reduction on daily deaths still following a linear trend, similar to Italy and Spain.

s_77.png.552fae469ecee4d2dbdb6faf7176051

Bad news is that at the current rate it will take them 30-40 days to drop close to zero. Worst, since 5 days, the number of new cases is 5x higher than before. Now they are seeing over 1000 new cases per day. Either they are seeing effect of vacations or they finally took testing seriously. Either case, >1000 cases per day is a lot.

Portugal was on a good path but a month ago the number of daily deaths stabilized around 13 per day. Now it seems to be going down again (5 today), but I think this is something we will see in many countries (e.g. Italy): to get rid of the final number of cases will take long.

pt_77.png.bcece6215a18ad3a2ddd26c2f888c6

At the current rate, the total number of fatalities in Sweden should go around 5400. But if it lingers as Portugal did, it will go close or above 6000.

I believe the testing finally has started properly, the bottlenecks seem to have cleared. 

Has there been a change in procedure or a change in reporting in Sweden over the past week?

5eddbb85cbdc1_Screenshot2020-06-08at06.1

Deaths are clearly trending down.

5eddbbd085a3f_Screenshot2020-06-08at06.1

4 hours ago, balticus said:

Has there been a change in procedure or a change in reporting in Sweden over the past week?

Deaths are clearly trending down.

The government got pissed off with the results and said they would invest more on testing (finally!) but the uptick of positives happened just at the same time, so I really don´t think that it was because of the government. Perhaps holidays.

The relation between new cases and deaths has a delay of a few weeks. So this could be the start of a second peak, which i would not be surprised, as they still don´t have it under control and parts of the country were spared so far. I would also expect that deaths rise again due to more testing. My guess is that there are many unreported deaths due to lack of testing. If that is true, then it´s not 5400, it´s not 6000, but perhaps 8000-10.000 deaths in the end.

Oh, look at this. Give China a round of applause.

Hope for pangolins as protection boosted in China

China has removed pangolins from its official list of traditional Chinese medicine treatments, according to reports. ... Pangolins are in the spotlight as they have been found to carry strains of coronaviruses similar to Covid-19. Scientists are investigating whether trafficked pangolins might have played a role in the virus moving from animals to humans, but the evidence is unclear.

Pity that it takes an international pandemic for them to pay a smidgen of attention to wildlife conservation, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

2 hours ago, Lorelei said:

Oh, look at this. Give China a round of applause.

Hope for pangolins as protection boosted in China

Pity that it takes an international pandemic for them to pay a smidgen of attention to wildlife conservation, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

I think they did something similar with SARS, but then it got reversed a few years after that blew over :/

News from May is so exciting!

And Jr. refers to Donald Trump Jr., who may or may not be stupider than I'M ERIC.

Sorry, just thought I'd Americansplain these things to you, since you don't really seem to get it.

Number of new coronavirus cases diagnosed on June 13:

new_corona_cases.JPG.22a3b351ca9f9a5b5fa

Source: WHO

Germany's new Corona-Warn-App is region-blocked on the iOS App Store so it only works in Germany. I've had my family's iPhones and IPads (5 devices) on the US store for 11 years now, so I'm a little leery of switching over to the Germany store for fear that many of my apps and content will stop working.

Two issues:

1. I'm pissed as hell that Germany would region-block this app. I'm sure it is for some security reasons, but how can that possibly outweigh a public safety threat in the form of coronavirus spreading unnecessarily. This is a disastrous policy and I'm thinking about contacting some journalists about it.

2. Does anyone have experience with switching permanently to the Germany store after using the US store to download all US content for years? Do I have a lot to worry about? I've considering doing this before, but no Germany-only apps really seemed to worth it before. This time it's different.