4,870 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

And why would that be important to know?

I guess it means that, yet again, it is an outbreak caused by a religious gathering!

Could somebody please explain to me why the infection rate and the death rate in Canada are so high?

200 deaths yesterday. Do they want to compete with their big neighbour?

They could have seen from the situation in Europe a month ago what could happen to them.

.. or do they like Sweden want to get rid of the people in care homes?

(I like to be cynical, however, reality is oftern more cynical than I.)

10 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Could somebody explain to me why the infection rate and the death rate in Canada are so high?

200 deaths yesterday.

"The death toll rose by 221 on Sunday — but 165 of these were fatalities that date back several days.

This is because Quebec reported a sharp rise in deaths — 202 in total — on Sunday due to a technical glitch. Only 37 of these deaths were from the last 24 hours, while the rest of the fatalities date back several days and weren’t taken into account earlier due to technical issues "

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-records-37-new-covid-19-deaths-but-adds-165-that-weren-t-recorded-1.4962370

32 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Could somebody please explain to me why the infection rate and the death rate in Canada are so high?

200 deaths yesterday. Do they want to compete with their big neighbour?

Please remember that Canada is a huge country (geographically) and using the national figures don't really paint an accurate picture.

32 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

They could have seen from the situation in Europe a month ago what could happen to them.

.. or do they like Sweden want to get rid of the people in care homes?

(I like to be cynical, however, reality is oftern more cynical than I.)

Most of the cases are in Ontario and Quebec (the largest provinces), the rest of the country is actually doing quite well.

Ontario also seems (at the moment) to have sufficient capacity in hospitals to treat the cases they have.

The biggest problems are in Quebec and well kind of like Bayern they prefer to do what they want to do and are suspicious of directives coming from the federal government. Montreal, the largest city in the province, has also been neglected for decades by the provincial government and is an underfunded administrative mess. 

Sadly, nearly 80% of cases in Quebec and Ontario have been in long term care/ nursing homes.

My friends and ex colleagues in Toronto hospitals tell me ICUs are coping and have enough PPE. 

As engelchen says, these 2 provinces are the most densely populated. 

Seems the political responsible in Sweden are fed up with their amateur epidemiologists.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-sweden-rushes-launch-no-lockdown-assessment-inquiry-deaths-mount-2020-6?r=DE&IR=T

These healthcare responsible are just trying to save their ass. Two weeks ago, they claimed "success", then a bad week came. Last Sunday, again claimed "success" because no one died. Of course it is a flat lie, simply no death was reported. Today they reported 65 deaths.

And the cherry on top, immunity is not emerging.

https://www.thelocal.se/20200602/sweden-shares-preliminary-figures-from-antibody-tests

Not many details, but it seems that overall in the 20-64 age group, only 7% have antibodies. And older people only 3%. Complete. Failure.

Oh Sweden, you invented the 3 point seatbelt in 1950 and saved millions! Now PLEASE fire those idiots and stop being a bad example, because some idiots like Bolsonaro want to use you to justify their acts!

Finally the arrogant asshole concedes:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7020169/coronavirus-sweden-scientist-method/

“If we were to encounter the same disease again, knowing precisely what we know about it today, I think we would settle on doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” said Tegnell, considered the architect of the unique Swedish pandemic approach.

Unfortunately, as he is incompetent, he has no clue on what to do:

But Tegnell said Wednesday it was still unclear what the country should have done differently. He also said other nations are unable to tell exactly what measures affected the outcome of their outbreaks because they threw everything at it in one go.

Easy, just lock the fucking schools and close the fucking bars! And triple the amount of daily tests! Sweden is still on the bottom of the list regarding testing.

Not only this was a human disaster, but it did nothing good for the economy.

The moves recommended by Tegnell have made Sweden a bit of a local pariah and did not spare the Swedish economy. More than 76,000 people have been made redundant since the outbreak began and unemployment, which now stands at 7.9%, is expected to climb higher.

BTW, removing micro countries from the list (San Marino, Andorra), Sweden is now the 5th worldwide in number of deaths per 1M habitants. And at the current rate, it will be close to Spain, France and UK within a month. 

What bothers me more is that a round table with a few smart guys could have done the math about this disaster in a single afternoon, back in March. These incompetents did not bother to do the math, because if they did, they could have foreseen this.

Example: assuming a fatality between 0.5% and 1%, to achieve immunity you need (still to be proven!) 60-90% of the population to be infected.

This means you can expect between 30.690 and 92,070 deaths. Anything below means you did not achieve immunity.

So either you accept that number of deaths, or you have to accept immunity will not be reached.

Simple brutal math! No need for super complicated models! And somehow they didn't bother to do it!

On 3/30/2020, 12:56:50, Krieg said:

Bolsonaro's Twitter account was blocked for the same reason.

P.S., I predict a coup in the next two weeks in Brazil.

On 3/30/2020, 2:27:29, MikeMelga said:

Bolsonaro controls the army, there will be no coup, or at least no successful coup. Remember that Brazil is like Spain: the military placed a pseudo democratic regime upfront, but they are controlling from the back.

On 3/30/2020, 2:34:21, Krieg said:

The vice-president of Brazil is a general.  The military has been already talking to the vice about taking down Bolsonaro, because ... he is crazy.   Army, air force and navy told already Mourão they will support him if Bolsonaro is out of the equation.

P.S. I will remember this to come and show you how wrong you were,

On 3/30/2020, 3:17:31, MikeMelga said:

No problem in admitting if I am wrong.

But for the military to intervene, it would be a huge shock in Brazil, as they don´t have the same recent history of coups as other south american countries.

The military haven´t done anything significant in the past 35 years, not even when the far left took over (Lula). Any intervention could be seen as a bad thing both from left and right, so I highly doubt it will happen.

Bolsonaro is just following his heroes, Trump and Boris, but at some point he will have to do as Trump and Boris did. Anybody talked about Boris or Trump being deposed by the army?

BTW, although being a (retired) military, Mourão is a Freemason, so this might have more to do with Freemasons taking power than military. On the other hand, Bolsonaro is more related with religious movements, in his case, Evangelics. This is the same confrontation as in Portugal: freemasons vs Opus Dei. Nothing to do with the army.

As with Portugal, governments usually try to balance support from those different organizations. Sometimes this goes off balance, like in 2005 in Portugal, where freemasons basically took over. At that point, almost 90% of the parliament was freemason!

Was it 2 weeks or 2 months? :D

I told you, a military coup in Brazil would be very hard to accept by the population, both right and left. On the right because it would depose a right wing president, and on the left because military authority has an historic connotation with the right.

He will probably get impeached, but a coup does not look probable, and for sure it did not happen in 2 weeks.

Next time some humility would suit you better, I said nothing to provoke such a "show you how wrong you were" attitude. Especially because you don´t seem to know much about Brazil.

2 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Was it 2 weeks or 2 months? :D

I told you, a military coup in Brazil would be very hard to accept by the population, both right and left. On the right because it would depose a right wing president, and on the left because military authority has an historic connotation with the right.

He will probably get impeached, but a coup does not look probable, and for sure it did not happen in 2 weeks.

Next time some humility would suit you better, I said nothing to provoke such a "show you how wrong you were" attitude. Especially because you don´t seem to know much about Brazil.

Of course I've got the timing wrong, anyway no one can really predict the future and at the time I really believed that.      Lots of things changed after I posted that.  Now that the circle is closing on Bolsonaro, the recent raids on his inner circle, the Supreme Court's latest moves, Bolsonaro calling his people to protest again the Supreme Court, his allies asking the military to close down the Congress and the Supreme Court, etc, so because of all of these Brazil is again in the headlines in the international media, so I knew you will come here and call my wrong timing and show how you know better.  

But at the moment, I am not sure they will take him down via a coup, that window closed already, but i can be wrong again.   I think there is now a better opportunity to take him down legally.  (This sounds interesting:  https://www.conjur.com.br/2020-mai-02/ives-gandra-harmonia-independencia-poderes , finding out what might happen if Bolsonaro really invokes article 142 might be your homework)

And telling me to have humility ... me, a guy who is never afraid of recognising mistakes and who likes to learn from them and never had problems when taught something new.  That's thick from you, Mr Perfection.