5,101 posts in this topic

Italy closes all universities and schools for two weeks.

Data from yesterday shows the rate of infection is now 3.2 and the death rate is 3.4%.  It was expected to increase when it reached third world countries with sub-optimal health system, so I guess it will only go up for a while.

Iran releases 54000 inmates from jail because they can't take care of them, after looking at the case of the psychiatric ward in South Korea where 101 out of 102 people got infected.

South Korea installed a Coronavirus Drive Through testing station.  Because it is not a bad time for innovation.

Things are moving faster.

I am actually positively surprised on how Italy is handling this. They have the guts to do hard measurements, like partial forced quarantines and massive testing. Meanwhile, in Germany and Portugal, they will only test people if there is a strong suspicion, not only of infection, but also of severe symptoms.

1 hour ago, mtbiking said:

Amazingly, I still have colleagues telling me it's a nothingburger.

Worst, some say: "Yeah, its a problem, but we are in Bavaria and the authorities are very competent, nothing will happen".

... because everything is better and rosier in BAVARIA!

Large German companies that I teach are telling their employees to stay and work from home if at all possible.

One company has asked me to sign a paper to confirm that I haven't visited any 'infected areas' in the last 3 months. I don't know what this means, as Berlin also has had a case recently.

48 minutes ago, Acton said:

Large German companies that I teach are telling their employees to stay and work from home if at all possible.

One company has asked me to sign a paper to confirm that I haven't visited any 'infected areas' in the last 3 months. I don't know what this means, as Berlin also has had a case recently.

Same thing is happening here in Frankfurt.  I had to sign a paper just this morning saying I haven't been to China, South Korea, Iran or Italy lately.  I also had to sign saying I haven't been in contact with anyone who has the coronavirus, but how do we know?

I suspect this is an insurance thing, if someone gets sick, they can't blame the company and sue them for Schmertzensgeld, or whatever.

I am off to Hamburg early tomorrow morning and am curious to see how people are behaving, how many masks I see , how paranoid people are if someone near them coughs, sneezes etc😧

I could be in for a shock.. I hope not..

1 minute ago, john g. said:

I am off to Hamburg early tomorrow morning and am curious to see how people are behaving, how many masks I see , how paranoid people are if someone near them coughs, sneezes etc😧

I spent 3 hours in the centre of Franfurt on Monday and didn't see a single mask, however, I went to a local Rewe this morning and there was no toilet paper or flour to be found. It's a bit of a mixed bag here just now, people are panic buying food and household stuff, but don't seem to be too worried about picking up the virus.

I dont think its Panic buying... Its the supplies are not in the warehouses.. 

Aldi, Lidl  and rewe etc often have a "just in time" delivery... but if the products are not leaving their country of Origin, then the warehouses will also have empty shelfs  even when there is no panic!

Germany is possibly the worlds second biggest imported of bog roll... Hardly suprising... Have you heard some of the shit they come out with!!  :lol:

30 minutes ago, john g. said:

Are you still sick? If so, have you been diagnosed as not contagious?

I am fine, fraufruit!🙏🏻👍🏼
( I still don‘t really want get up at 6 tomorrow, though!😧) 
It will be a long day, including a stop over in Athens.

😩

45 minutes ago, Tap said:

Same thing is happening here in Frankfurt.  I had to sign a paper just this morning saying I haven't been to China, South Korea, Iran or Italy lately.  I also had to sign saying I haven't been in contact with anyone who has the coronavirus, but how do we know?

I suspect this is an insurance thing, if someone gets sick, they can't blame the company and sue them for Schmertzensgeld, or whatever.

My employer just said on Monday "we are monitoring the situation and taking guidance". They are a US company though. On a global scale, all business travel to countries with COVID-19 cases need a high level sign off from VP-level in the US.

In a team briefing a couple of days ago, they did say a rather contradictory "Please avoid areas where foreigners congregate" followed by "But be respectful and not fearful of foreigners". Funny thing is, whilst that said by a German, the vast majority of us who work in that team are foreign ourselves!

Well, everyone knows the drill of "Wash your hands with soap", I would say about 1 in  4 people that go to the toilet while I am in there:o, do not even bother to wash their hands at all on the way out.

My company has introduced sprays with disinfectant in  it, they have put  the container on the outside of our canteen, most people do not use the spray open the door and walk  in, I cannot understand why they did not put it on the inside, so after you open the door, possibly  infected door, then spray you hand when you get in, get your food and eat.

I was at the rewe just now. Spaghetti section and toilet paper aisles were all empty. Next door netto had plenty though

The first shop sounds pretty „ gross „ compared to the netto place, jubinjohn!😜

1 hour ago, Tap said:

I spent 3 hours in the centre of Franfurt on Monday and didn't see a single mask, however, I went to a local Rewe this morning and there was no toilet paper or flour to be found. It's a bit of a mixed bag here just now, people are panic buying food and household stuff, but don't seem to be too worried about picking up the virus.

Never heard of Fanfurt but unless something has changed you can't get a mask for love or money anywhere these days, so what do you expect?