9,374 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Cute, but everyone knows that when you refer to the United States but do not say "the United States of America," then you resort to the plural. As Mike referenced people who unloaded stocks whom we all know to be senators and congresspeople of individual states, we know that the intent was to indicate the plurality.

Earlier, you said (incorrectly) that the "they" referred to the United States.    Now you have a new theory.   

:lol:

21 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

See AP Stylebook.

ETA: Of course, it is possible Mike just uses that interesting British construction in which one says things like "The team are." In which case, he was using the antecedent as a group noun, therefore a "they".

See https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/group-nouns

See also https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1535_questionanswer/page51.shtml

I am not one of those AmE speakers who only edit in favor of one way. Actually,  there was a very interesting webinar today from ACES in which we discussed this editing issue.

10 minutes ago, balticus said:

Earlier, you said (incorrectly) that the "they" referred to the United States.    Now you have a new theory.   

Maybe quit while you're behind. In all of my cases, the "they" would still refer to the "United States". I hope your German is better than your English or you are not going to have much of a career.

It looks like someone is nervous about what truths will be told. Like the stakes for Trump needed to be higher in the next two elections.

White House blocks Fauci from testifying at House coronavirus hearing

The White House has blocked key Trump administration health official Dr. Anthony Fauci from testifying at a House hearing on the U.S. coronavirus response next week. 

The House Appropriations Committee’s subcommittee on the Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, Education and Related Agencies wanted Fauci, who has emerged as one of the most trusted voices on the virus, to appear at a Wednesday morning hearing on how the government has handled the pandemic. The panel was “informed by an administration official that the White House has blocked Dr. Fauci from testifying,” committee spokesman Evan Hollander said in a statement. 

White House spokesman Judd Deere also confirmed the White House stopped the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases from appearing before the House. He said that while the administration tries to combat the pandemic that has now killed more than 60,000 Americans, “it is counter-productive to have the very individuals involved in those efforts appearing at congressional hearings.”

But he can testify in front of the Senate. Hmmm

However, it appears Fauci is expected to testify in front of a committee of the Republican-led Senate committee during May. He will testify before the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee on May 12, per an aide to the panel's chairman, Sen. Lamar Alexander, a Tennessee Republican.

"Chairman Alexander looks forward to hearing from Dr. Fauci and other administration officials at the Senate health committee's second hearing back, which will be on Tuesday, May 12," the aide told CNN.

What is Trump afraid of?

17 hours ago, balticus said:

Wow, i'm flattered that so many people spent so much time analyzing my hastily and poorly written post :D

I meant the United states of course.

Ok, here is a very smoothed out death per day curve. The dots is a further smoothing. 

sw_1_5.png.4dba539def9df63e67383555ccb40

Definitely death count is not trending lower, as he said. It is still close to the highest peak, but the daily death count varies so much that it is inconclusive if it is still growing, near the peak, or at a plateau. Usually weekend reports show extremely low numbers, so don't expect any conclusion in less than 1 week.

BTW, I did a quick comparison between Sweden and Portugal. Same population size.

Portugal has even worst conditions for Covid:

• population density is much higher and 85% lives in a narrow patch close to the ocean
  • much more tourists
  • family-oriented society, meaning many family meetings, and several generations living in the same house
  • more social life

You can easily seen that despite a much worst start (probably due to the reasons mentioned before), the curve flatted very early and it has been going down (slowly) for 2 weeks.

sw_pt_1_5.png.940a3c84d0455ccef8f05fa612

I see lower highs, i.e. a downtrend and i am cautiously optimistic.   

The value of the approach should be evident when a second wave hits.  

Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 12.14.19.png

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:
  • population density is much higher and 85% lives in a narrow patch close to the ocean
  • much more tourists
  • family-oriented society, meaning many family meetings, and several generations living in the same house
  • more social life

Can you really blame tourism at this time when nobody is traveling or not allowed to travel?

When you say social life, does that mean there is no lock down like everywhere else?

1 hour ago, balticus said:

I see lower highs, i.e. a downtrend and i am cautiously optimistic.   

The value of the approach should be evident when a second wave hits.  

Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 12.14.19.png

Flattening the curve is based on new cases, not deaths. The point of trying to flatten the curve is to relieve pressure on the healthcare system, not the funeral industry. Fewer new infections is the decrease that governments are looking for.

55 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

The point of trying to flatten the curve is to relieve pressure on the healthcare system

Erm....and save lives.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Ok, here is a very smoothed out death per day curve. The dots is a further smoothing. 

sw_1_5.png.4dba539def9df63e67383555ccb40

Definitely death count is not trending lower

Smoothed out, it peaked at 100 around day 44 and is at 80 on day 51.   80 < 100.   Not sure why you don't think the numbers have trended lower.    The curve looks similar to other countries curves.  

If the deaths per week variable makes new high, it is safe to conclude that this past week was an aberration rather than a change of trend.  

If the trend continues lower, it would makes the case for opening things up in some other countries a bit stronger.  

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Can you really blame tourism at this time when nobody is traveling or not allowed to travel?

Contrary to certain countries like Greece, Portugal has strong tourism all year long. Meaning that in February and March there were many tourists there. Also they are quite spread across the country, not only in the capital.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

When you say social life, does that mean there is no lock down like everywhere else?

As with previous statement, I was referring to the initial period in February and March.