5,814 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

@El Jeffo From your article:

I am horrified to think that chlorawotzit may* have been deliberately tested out on the most conveniently available guinea pigs the US government has at its disposal--veterans.

It's of course perfectly in keeping with a long-standing practice, but that doesn't make it any less appalling.  I'm sick.

*edit: finished reading the article.  Was so disgusted that I posted here before reading it to the end.  Not "may have been".  WAS tested on an already vulnerable and susceptible group.  You don't have to support US military action to still have a certain "respect" for what its veterans underwent in the name of serving their country, often having been deliberately deceived and misled about what they were doing or going out to do.  No words.

Shades of Tuskegee. So horrifying.

12 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Shades of Tuskegee. So horrifying.

Only this time they're not black and poor... but once again, a vulnerable population perceived as getting a handout (free medical care). They are paying for it with their health, their lives, even.

6 minutes ago, Metall said:

Only this time they're not black and poor... but once again, a vulnerable population perceived as getting a handout (free medical care). They are paying for it with their health, their lives, even.

Don't be so sure. 

Numerous studies have demonstrated racial and ethnic disparities in health care in the United States. These disparities have been demonstrated in the Veterans Affairs (VA) healthcare system, where financial barriers to receiving care are minimized. The VA is committed to delivering high-quality care in an equitable manner, and as such, to eliminating racial and ethnic disparities in health care. To inform this effort, the existing evidence on disparities within the VA was systematically reviewed, to address the following objectives:

1. Determine in which clinical areas racial and ethnic disparities are prevalent within the VA;
  2. Describe what is known about the sources of those disparities; and
  3. Qualitatively synthesize that knowledge to determine the most promising avenues for future research aimed at improving equity in VA health care.

all else aside, they are notoriously awful to everybody, if not necessarily equally.

One look at how the VA treats its patients should be all you need to know not to sign up.

Of course, shabby and non-treatment of returned soldiers is not what they talk about when grooming and recruiting 16- and 17-year-olds in public high schools in working class and underprivileged areas.  They tell you you'll learn skills, a trade, and even get a college degree for free, all while going on exciting adventures.  They don't talk about the multitudes that the GI Bill leaves behind or the crippling effects of combat and how they won't (could, but won't) help you after you return.  A fucking, crying, shame.

back somewhat on topic: anyone know what precisely it is about touching your face that can make you sick?  Most people know not to stick your fingers in your eyeballs, nose or mouth.  But is it that if you scratch your cheek, forehead or chin that the virus can crawl along your skin and get into your orifices?

Possibly a stupid question, but one asked in earnest

31 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

virus can crawl along your skin and get into your orifices?

Avirus ist just a molecule. It's not living. It can't crawl.

Did you mistake it for a walrus?

37 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

back somewhat on topic: anyone know what precisely it is about touching your face that can make you sick?  Most people know not to stick your fingers in your eyeballs, nose or mouth.  But is it that if you scratch your cheek, forehead or chin that the virus can crawl along your skin and get into your orifices?

Only guessing...any area of the face is close to an orifice so any virus, bacteria etc could travel...sweat, air movement etc.

I read something today suggesting that even after CV, keeping social distance would be a good idea to minimize the transmission of any other common viruses etc.

38 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

But is it that if you scratch your cheek, forehead or chin that the virus can crawl along your skin and get into your orifices?

I guess it could enter a pimple or any other blemish. When jogging, it could probably surf along on the sweat.

That's all I've go. I'm going to wash my face now.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

43 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Avirus ist just a molecule. It's not living. It can't crawl.

Did you mistake it for a walrus?

I would hope people might notice if a walrus got into one of their orifices!;)

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

That's all I've go. I'm going to wash my face now.

Should you wash your face? They say "DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE!", but if you've just washed your hands for 20 seconds (and hopefully killed the virus) then should you wash your face for 20 seconds to kill any on your face? Or is it better to leave it on your face rather than risk spreading it around with soap and water?

35 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Should you wash your face? They say "DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE!", but if you've just washed your hands for 20 seconds (and hopefully killed the virus) then should you wash your face for 20 seconds to kill any on your face? Or is it better to leave it on your face rather than risk spreading it around with soap and water?

Great question! Can anyone give me a reassuring answer?😷🙁

2 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

The actual advice I believe is don`t touch your face with unwashed hands.It`s not your whole face they`re worried about it`s the nose,mouth and particularly the eyes.They recommend your whole face but definitely not the mouth etc.

19 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

So the following questions are:

• where can I buy a mask?
  • Is it reusable?
  • Do I have to use it at work?

From what they are saying you don't have to wear a bought mask, you can make your own.  According to  https://www.tagesschau.de/faktenfinder/hintergrund/masken-faq-101.html  some seamstresses are making and selling them.  

If you have one you can wash, it's reusable.

Most states only seem to require them for shopping and using public transport.