5,147 posts in this topic

I knew I didn't have corona. The flu, however, is usually associated with sore throat and fever. I got the full barrage of such questions yesterday from doctors. The flu kills a lot of people. Glad I have my jab every year.

Have my documents. Will fly.

Air Transat removed a family of five Canadians from a flight after their child began coughing on the plane, prompting a demand for medical documents which they could not provide.

Emmanuel Faug, Clémentine Ferraton, and their three children were boarding Air Transat flight TS112 from Quebec to Paris when several passengers raised concern about their toddler's cough, according to the TVA Nouvelles TV network

The couple said the girl, 21-month-old Lila, had been examined that morning by a doctor, who said she was fine to fly.

But when flight crew asked for a document to prove this, they could not provide it.

11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

To get written out of work, for one thing.

With babies and small children you just never know. 

Seniors have to be extra careful.

Sure.  But even in these cases (though borderline senior) I knew when I or my child was normal sick with a fever or really had something that might me more.  Had a book "Does my Child need a Doctor" years ago that  was really good regarding how to distinguish mild and possibly more dangerous symptoms.    Now of course doctors are complaining about being overwhelmed with patients with fever and minor coughs.  

14 hours ago, yesterday said:

try maybe here 

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=Desinfektionsmittel&__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I am not sure about the price is that expensive, for this kind of stuff

Click on the link. It is mostly sold out in Amazon and the available ones are from the marketplace, charging 20€ and more for something that normally costs 1€-3€.

Actually Amazon already issued a message that those merchants are breaking Amazon's fair price policy and they will be repercusions.

Really don't understand why your interest in covering the sun with your hand.

15 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Why do so many people, with no underlyng health conditions, go to a doctor with  cold or normal flu?    You can have fever and stuff and know you are not really lll.  Normally of course the doctors love this, but then complain when more serious stuff is happening.  My chldren's doctor here always knew when we rocked up, that somethng was possibly more serious.   

I would never go to the doctor with the cold or flu but my employer requires it.  In the States I never went to the doctor because I wasn't paid for sick days anyway and it didn't matter. 

5 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

I would never go to the doctor with the cold or flu but my employer requires it.  In the States I never went to the doctor because I wasn't paid for sick days anyway and it didn't matter. 

If a person works at a place with vulnerable people like a Kita or Altenheim there's usually a sick note required from day one.

People are mass buying products such as pasta etc... Nearly every supermarket has been stripped bare of canned foods and pasta. I asked one person and they told me they are terrified in case of a government lock down happening. Mass panic buying is already starting here in Germany.

26 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

People are mass buying products such as pasta etc... Nearly every supermarket has been stripped bare of canned foods and pasta. I asked one person and they told me they are terrified in case of a government lock down happening. Mass panic buying is already starting here in Germany.

Yeah, we went to Aldi again today, more people than usual people and a lot is sold out. Presumably worse in the city centers. We have a well stocked cellar now. I’m hoping we won’t need it but it’s not as if I’m losing money anyway, stuff like pasta and tinned food stays good forever in the right conditions. Wine too :P

25 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

Yeah, we went to Aldi again today, more people than usual people and a lot is sold out. Presumably worse in the city centers. We have a well stocked cellar now. I’m hoping we won’t need it but it’s not as if I’m losing money anyway, stuff like pasta and tinned food stays good forever in the right conditions. Wine too :P

Oh yes, wine is definitely worth stocking up on ;)

Just like easter, New Year, Christmas and national holidays, the mass panic buying happens. I tend to only buy in bulk when it has been reduced. Always good to have a bit extra.

We went to Kaufland last night, and they have plenty of canned goods and stocked shelves. 

My sister and her husband left for Australia from the States yesterday, and the airlines/airports are asking people repeatedly if they’ve been to China within the last 14 days. Although that seems to be a moot point at this point.

Interesting that, went to Edeka last night and a number of shelves were pretty sparse, I put it down to poor replenishment because we have that problem normally on a Saturday morning. We stillmanaged to get what we wanted which was our normal weekly shop.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

People are mass buying products such as pasta etc... Nearly every supermarket has been stripped bare of canned foods and pasta.

Lidl seemed pretty normal this morning - and during the week I didn't really notice much, maybe it's a regional thing and they are not prone to panic here.

At a place where I worked in Canada, the management (German) contemplated asking for sick notes even though they didn't pay sick days. Canadian GPs are not accustomed to just handing out sick notes, at least not for free so it's common to charge maybe $10 or so. When the employees asked the company if they were planning on paying the $10 fee for all the sick notes they quickly decided they didn't need them after all.

Strange..  In our local kaufland the spaghetti shelf was empty (other pasta was available) und one tomato paste shelf was also empty.. understandable.

However, I don't understand why almost all toilet paper was sold oud! Do we also expect a diarrhea epidemic?

My guess is it is all supply and demand, We are all maybe just noticing it more because of the mass panic. Keep calm and carry on as they say ;)