6,767 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

By now most of us personally know several people who've had it (or maybe just the Yanks).  I haven't heard anyone say it was a walk in the park, despite their all having survived.  It sounds like hell.  

Yep.  One of my brothers had it (he lives in North Carolina).  He had a “mild” case, and  said iit was the worst thing he has ever experienced.

7 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Happy to do so little Keleth. Careful with that keyboard...

Infectious disease expert Dr James Lawler, who worked under Obama quipped 'great understatements in history: Wuhan... "Just a bad flu season,' lumping it with Napoleon's retreat from Russia as 'a little stroll gone bad' and Hiroshima being 'a bad summer heat wave'

Your timelines are supposed to include when Trump implemented his travel "bans" and border closures etc not just the timeline of the virus

28 minutes ago, john g. said:

You are calling millions of American voters dumb fucks!😂

And your point ?

Or is he wrong ?

4 hours ago, keith2011 said:

I doubt the PRC will accept pressure or responsibility, they even got real upset when anyone referred to it as the Chinese virus or flu!

They do yep and we hear from many Americans that no one takes exception to the last catastrophic pandemic being called the "Spanish" Flu.But I wonder how many people realise the Spanish Flu came out of America and not Spain.

Also there is no real problem with calling it the Chinese Flu but it depends on how it is used.

When Trump says "Chinese Flu" do you think he`s saying ti came out of China or is he saying the Chinese are at fault ?

3 hours ago, jeba said:

When you strip them off you have an additional chance of contaminating your hands by touching their outside.

If you touch the outside of your gloves when taking them off then you`re stupid.

21 minutes ago, Keleth said:

And your point ?

Or is he wrong ?

He is wrong. I am not a Trump supporter but it is arrogant to think people who think differently politically are simply dumb. Too many nuances in life.

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

He is wrong. I am not a Trump supporter but it is arrogant to think people who think differently politically are simply dumb. Too many nuances in life.

Nope there`s voting differently ie Tory and Labour.

And then there`s voting for Trump,that`s a whole different ballpark,actually a whole different ballgame.

In a way he`s sort of wrong because he used the past tense,no one would have believed in 2016 Trump would be this bad but anyone who votes Trump in 2020 is a dumb fuck.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Your timelines are supposed to include when Trump implemented his travel "bans" and border closures etc not just the timeline of the virus

Thanks to an Anon, happy to oblige...

I remain civil as you see. You however...

14 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Thanks to an Anon, happy to oblige...

I remain civil as you see. You however...

You have to earn civility and you haven`t earned a fucking drop of it.

You still haven`t included in your timeline where he "shut the borders" before anyone thought saving thousands of lives.

4 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Gloves don't work, but people still wear them.

In this case, agree. As far it is known, Covid-19 does not infect by the skin. You need to touch your mouth or nose or eyes to pass it from your hands inside.

Gloves won't help there, and for many people, they will give a false sense of security. Also most people don't know how to remove the gloves properly.

People will just learn how to avoid reflex touching of the face.

When I do go to the supermarket (once a week) I have self discipline not to touch my face. I just think of my hands as "dirty", as if they were just inside a can of oil. That somehow prevents involuntary touching of the face. I also have a well defined procedure of where to carry and on which order to use my hand sanitizer, phone and bank card.

After leaving the supermarket and before entering the car, I also disinfect everything, including the phone, bank card and the hand sanitizer bottle itself.

Took me 6 weeks and multiple trips to the supermarket to get it sorted out. I'm sure I have lots of room for improvement. 

But the point here is that people will just create over time small processes that prevent contamination.

Ironically, the next flu season will probably be very weak.

7 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Read this today about how the coronavirus may have been caused. It is awful. Our governments need to pressurise the Chinese government to ban wet markets. Not only are they unhygienic and inhumane, they are a breeding ground for disease. (see links below)

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/wildlife-trade-caused-coronavirus-vaccine-fix-200409143748604.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-chinese-wet-market-photos-2020-1?r=DE&IR=T

Interesting points made in the video. He made me feel a little better about it being rare about being transferred to our pets. I have three cats with FCoV and I often wonder, because they can pass on Toxoplasmosis, if FCoV can be transferred to me. But I’ve them for 5-14 years, so I’m probably OK. 

Another link to info on wildlife trade in China. https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/04/ban-wet-markets/609781/

It’s such a big business and it was stopped after the first SARS epidemic, but instated probably from pressure from wealthy people that make money off of it. 

I also read somewhere that they don’t exactly for sure if a Pangolin was a second host because after testing it only matched 90% to the Coronavirus they have. I don’t think we will ever know. 

21 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

@murphaph 

Got your sarcasm there about calling a spade a spade. If you weren’t being sarcastic then look up using the word spade these days. 

Oh ffs this is an expression that predates all that shit, and commonly used in UK and Ireland with no racist overtones.  However, show an Irishman two spades, and tell him to take a pick, is somewhat different.

6 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

By now most of us personally know several people who've had it (or maybe just the Yanks).  I haven't heard anyone say it was a walk in the park, despite their all having survived.  It sounds like hell.  

@sarabyrd announces she had it, after returning from a Paris weekend with @enview. He's stayed healthy so far; Sara says she probably had a mild case - she didn't require hospitalization - but it was still damned unpleasant.

Stay healthy, everyone, and stay home if you can do so.

9 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

COVID's not the only thing that's happy to take out the fit and the healthy, but it likes it even more than other diseases do.

Age looks to be the most predictable factor for complications and fatality, but that's not to say you'll definitely have a pleasant time of it if you catch it because you're a fit fellow. 

8 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You have no clue what is happening inside your body.

You can be grateful but at the end of the day do you actually know what is happening inside your body?

These statements may be true, but if someone gets the impression that the only factor is age and susceptibility and fatality are random, that does not seem correct.  

Age has been discussed widely as a factor, but comorbidities certainly play a role.   Smoking, respiratory problems, lung damage from pollution, hypertension, obesity, and alcoholism may increase susceptibility and/or severity.    

I would NOT avoid a weight loss program, a moderate exercise routine, a healthy diet or smoking cessation because they are not 100% guarantees of maintaining good health.   Perfect shouldn't be the enemy of good and lifestyle choices definitely have an influence.  

7 hours ago, Keleth said:

If you touch the outside of your gloves when taking them off then you`re stupid.

Have you ever watched people taking them off? Or taking off their facemasks?

When shopping I use cotton bags rather than plastics as the virus will survive only up to 1 day on material (some say only 3 hours). What doesn´t have to be refridgerated (bottles, cans etc.) will simply stay inside the car (which I park in the sunrather than under the carport to promote inactivation of the virus) until I go shopping again (usually a week later). That saves me the washing/disinfecting effort. Things that need to be refidgerated I´ll immerse in soapy water (which the sink is always filled with) if possible (e. g. prepacked cheese or bread) or put them into a container without their wrapping (e. g. sliced cheese) outside the house before taking them in and into the fridge and things like bread I´ll put into the thermofan oven at 70 deg for 30 min. I´ll also get changed completely as soon as I enter the house (wearing my pyjama almost all week).

And thankfully all supermarkets I´ve been to have disinfectant availble at the entrance so I can take off my facemask and goggles (yes, I´m wearing them as well to prevent contamination via my eyes) with clean hands.

I live in a city of 600,000

it has 400 confirmed COVID cases

i am being careful but not full biohazard suit 

6 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

Interesting points made in the video. He made me feel a little better about it being rare about being transferred to our pets. I have three cats with FCoV and I often wonder, because they can pass on Toxoplasmosis, if FCoV can be transferred to me. 

Did you  have them tested? Why? Did they have symptoms? 

I´m puzzled because the age of people who died seems so much lower that in Italy of Germany (where the average is about 80 years):

State Cases Sex Age Date Case # Location Source
Oregon 1     Feb. 29 17th Washington C.  
Washington 2     Feb. 29 18,19th    

1 M 30s Jan. 21 1st Snohomish [7]
Illinois
1     Mar. 1 20th    
1 M 60s Jan. 30 6th Chicago [12]
1 F 60s Jan. 24 2nd Chicago [8]
California
2 unkn. unkn. Jan. 26 3rd,4th Orange C., L.A. [9]
1 M adult Jan. 31 7th Santa Clara C. [17][18]
1 F unkn. Feb. 2 9th Santa Clara C.  
1 M 57 Feb. 2 10th San Benito C.  
1 F 57 Feb. 2 11th San Benito C.  
1   65 Feb. 28 16th Santa Clara C.  
1     Feb. 21 13th Humboldt C.  
1     Feb. 21 14th Sacramento C.  
1     Feb. 26 15th [Northern California]  

Massachusetts
1 M 20s Feb. 1 8th Boston [16]
Arizona
1 unkn. student Jan. 26 5th Maricopa County  
Wisconsin 1     Feb. 5 12th Madison  

source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Why is that?

Protests against the lockdown in Michigan. How many of these people will end up in already overloaded hospitals in a couple of weeks time?