6,767 posts in this topic

To think compulsive hand washers have always been considered a case for psychiatrists! Now we are all a case for psychiatrists..馃檨

( Shame their offices are closed!)

I had to revise my last post as I got it mixed up, before when I used to wear gloves and kept them on till I got home, and now, when I just don't bother and simply clean up well afterwards. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Read this today about how the coronavirus may have been caused. It is awful. Our governments need to pressurise the Chinese government to ban wet markets. Not only are they unhygienic and inhumane, they are a breeding ground for disease. (see links below)

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/wildlife-trade-caused-coronavirus-vaccine-fix-200409143748604.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-chinese-wet-market-photos-2020-1?r=DE&IR=T

Agree with you! Mind you- be careful. There are those who might put you down as a conspiracy theorist!

馃檨

Very interesting interview with the Professor, by the way.聽

3 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I used to wear gloves when I went shopping. I found it almost impossible to regulate. You get your stuff, queue up, then you have to pay -- get out your card, still wearing gloves? If you had to take them off and wash hands at the exit, then what? You still have the trolley and your stuff in it to pack in the car.
So I just keep them on till I get home, put down the groceries, wash hands, and wash all the groceries in the kitchen. Also taking off shoes outside flat door, and wiping down everything I touched in the car: steering wheel, levers, hand brake, outside door handles, seat belt. That should do it.聽聽I hope.
I also wipe down my phone and purse and聽 card, car keys, house keys, etc.

Everyone has to find his own routine and maybe hear other people's ideas and rethink his own strategy, because to me it is very difficult.聽 聽I enter my car and then spray the wheel and gearstick with alcohol.聽 Then drive to the supermarket and then wear gloves and mask and leave the car.聽 Do the shopping, while continue struggling not to touch my face, I am not sure why it is so difficult for me not to touch my face, but the gloves work as a reminder.聽 聽Pay, load the things in the car in 2 baskets, return the trolley and sit in the driving seat.聽 Then spray my gloves-wearing-hands with alcohol.聽 Some more alcohol on the wheel and stick just in case.聽聽 Drive home and聽unload the baskets.聽 聽Remove gloves, remove clothes, take shower.聽 聽Then take the things that should go to the fridge, wash most of them, some get sprayed with alcohol.聽 聽Then the non-critical items stay in the baskets which I put in our terrace and leave them there for several days hoping the virus die out of loneliness.聽 聽While doing all that I wash the hands several times and spray alcohol on them a few more times.聽 聽It sounds a lot but I've got very good at it and the whole thing is done in around 90 minutes (driving there, shopping, cleaning, etc).

Then I feel proud of myself and come to the Internet to talk to friends and random people living the life like nothing is happening and I think I am crazy.

Sorry, only available in German (yet):

https://www.bundesregierung.de/resource/blob/973812/1744226/bcf47533c99dc84216eded8772e803d4/2020-04-15-beschluss-bund-laender-data.pdf?download=1

same old, same old.

But maybe the hair dressers will open from the 4th of May again. (11)

Other shops see (10) which is a bit confusing to me regarding the size of the shops.

Large festivities are forbidden until at least the end of August. (9)

Schools etc. see (8).

as a matter of fact, gloves may not be any better than just being more mindful of what you do with your hands, as our skin has anti-microbial properties of its own.聽 Flu virus that may live for hours or days on hard surfaces is deactivated after a matter of minutes on the hands.聽 That's not to say you should just wait half an hour and then consider yourself good as new, but latex and for sure聽cloth/textile gloves are much more hospitable聽environments for germs to live on.聽 So slathering your cash juice from one place to the next in your gloves isn't great, neither is carrying your change in your mouth or licking the pavement.聽 In the best of times, it's a good habit never to touch your eyes, nose or mouth with your hand if you're outside of the house!聽 Ever!聽 (I sometimes use my shoulder or the inside of my shirt or sleeve if I聽really聽have to itch my face or eyes).

Here

are some

links

if you want to read a bit further about the wonders and miracles of your magical hands.

I did gloves while shopping exactly twice.聽 Exactly twice I got to the checkout and asked myself wtf am I doing here.聽 This shit still has to go into my bag and get inside my house.聽 All of it and I too am contaminated.聽 Bring it and myself inside the house, quarantine anything I don't need right away and that doesn't need to be refrigerated, wipe down everything else, then wipe down the counter.聽 After having already washed my hands, changed clothes and washed hands again.聽 Of course.聽 And then again.

It is a good thing that due to cultural reasons I already have a stockpile several gallons strong of cocoa butter lotion or that might have been my biggest challenge out of all this, in the end.聽 I'm glad聽to have聽so much聽soap but even luckier to have聽so much more聽Queen Helene.聽 A lifesaver.聽:lol:

it can all just be a bit much. I have two small children, I realised a while ago that it is impossible to erase risk and still retain some semblance of quality of life.

I am balancing out risk, with trying to have the kids enjoy this time with us without being terrified constantly.

I went shopping today, yeah I told my son not to touch too much stuff, clean hands when home etc but there are so many instances whereby I had to touch things etc it is just impossible to eradicate that risk.

I just am grateful that I am sporty, healthy, not fat, and have never smoked, if I do catch COVID.聽

11 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

I just am grateful that I am sporty, healthy, not fat, and have never smoked, if I do catch COVID.聽

COVID's not the only thing that's happy to take out the fit and the healthy, but it likes it even more than other diseases do.

Age looks to be the most predictable factor for聽complications and fatality, but that's not to say you'll definitely have a pleasant time of it if you catch it because you're a fit fellow.

By now most of us personally know several people聽who've聽had it (or maybe just the Yanks).聽 I haven't heard anyone say it was a walk in the park, despite their all having survived.聽 It sounds like hell.聽聽

I think this cavalier attitude of "if I get it, I get it" really shows that people do not fully appreciate what we are up against.聽 It's not the flu, it's not a cough, and even ebola kills you quicker.聽 If you have a bad case--and lots healthy people have--it is terrifying, you cannot breathe, you are suffocating in your own body, buried alive, it is physically very painful, a kind of torture as it feels like someone is pressing down on your chest so you cannot breathe, your heart is beating out of your chest while your body fights to ward off the infection.聽 For weeks on end.聽聽And then when you think you're over, it, it comes back.聽 This is not a bad cold.聽 You don't want this thing whether you survive it or not.聽 Obviously you want to survive.聽 But you don't want it.聽 And you sure as hell don't want to carry it to someone else.

51 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Everyone has to find his own routine and maybe hear other people's ideas and rethink his own strategy, because to me it is very difficult.聽 聽I enter my car and then spray the wheel and gearstick with alcohol.聽 Then drive to the supermarket and then wear gloves and mask and leave the car.聽 Do the shopping, while continue struggling not to touch my face, I am not sure why it is so difficult for me not to touch my face, but the gloves work as a reminder.聽 聽Pay, load the things in the car in 2 baskets, return the trolley and sit in the driving seat.聽 Then spray my gloves-wearing-hands with alcohol.聽 Some more alcohol on the wheel and stick just in case.聽聽 Drive home and聽unload the baskets.聽 聽Remove gloves, remove clothes, take shower.聽 聽Then take the things that should go to the fridge, wash most of them, some get sprayed with alcohol.聽 聽Then the non-critical items stay in the baskets which I put in our terrace and leave them there for several days hoping the virus die out of loneliness.聽 聽While doing all that I wash the hands several times and spray alcohol on them a few more times.聽 聽It sounds a lot but I've got very good at it and the whole thing is done in around 90 minutes (driving there, shopping, cleaning, etc).

Then I feel proud of myself and come to the Internet to talk to friends and random people living the life like nothing is happening and I think I am crazy.

Fuck! I forgot the fridge in the office! Do I have to clean it AGAIN? Jeez , that is SO March...

9 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

You have no clue what is happening inside your body.

You can be grateful but at the end of the day do you actually know what is happening inside your body?

I haven麓t yet heard anybody mention disinfecting mobile phones or keys - how many of us use the car or house keys without thinking about them?

- correction - just seen that Arunadasi cleans hers...

16 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

By now most of us personally know someone who's had it (or maybe just the Yanks).聽 I haven't heard anyone say it was a walk in the park, despite their all having survived.聽 It sounds like hell.聽聽

They did a survey in Iceland and found that 50% of people showed no symptoms. This is from CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europe/iceland-testing-coronavirus-intl/index.html

On 4/12/2020, 2:31:13, oscar 63 said:

So everyone.

can someone tell me a new guesstimate for when schools will open in Germany?聽

To to be specific, primary schools in Saxony聽

thanks in advance

winner gets a chocolate biscuit聽

Merkel said today that, the 4th of May is school re-opening time

stuff about it in the Guardian, link below

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/angela-merkel-announces-plans-reopen-schools-shops-germany-coronavirus-lockdown

beer festival聽s are banned until Agues, so maybe the October fest will be on

7 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

I haven麓t yet heard anybody mention disinfecting mobile phones or keys - how many of us use the car or house keys without thinking about them?

- correction - just seen that Arunadasi cleans hers...

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-clean-your-phone

The advice is around. I think I have done it once. ( Before I sneezed onto it.. but nobody is perfect..)

These are paranoid times...

1 minute ago, john g. said:

These are paranoid times...

oh, yes!

15 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The dumb fucks who voted for this guy will actually believe King Trump has personally sent the money...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52293910

Perhaps, but most people will simply get the money as a direct deposit in their bank聽account. 聽The deposits have begun, and they say IRS Treasury Refund. 聽So, once again,聽it鈥檚 more just about聽him feeding his ridiculous ego. 聽<_<聽聽

19 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The dumb fucks who voted for this guy will actually believe King Trump has personally sent the money...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52293910

So personally sending 聽a fuck-you- idiots message to millions of Americans, murphaph. I thought you were anti-racist?聽
No axe to grind with you personally. Just the dumbed down level of debate these days (question mark?)-聽

Ok, I have also dumbed down!馃檹馃徎

( settles down after reflection and washing hands): basically, people are polarised. If I agree with you, I am wonderful and glorious and clever. If I ( or every other person ) disagree, I am a fucking idiot!)

Is that not the level of political聽discourse?

You are calling millions of American voters dumb fucks!馃槀

Somewhat elitist intellectually?

Ok, not racist! Elitist! You know better!馃榾

( have been through this phase- 聽it starts in younger life with 鈥 knowing everything better 鈥 - and later鈥 鈥 shit, I know nothing!鈥)

Too many nuances..

I like you, by the way!聽