6,123 posts in this topic

People who were thought to have recovered from the coronavirus tested positive again, indicating that patients can relapse, South Korean officials say.

South Korea reported nearly 7,000 COVID-19 recoveries, but after 91 patients re-tested positive, officials are worried it’s just the tip of the iceberg, and far more people will likely relapse as well, Reuters reported. China also found more than 100 people, who were thought to have recovered, tested positive for the virus a second time, revealing what could be a sinister global trend, McClatchy reported.

“The number will only increase, 91 is just the beginning now,” Kim Woo-Joo, professor of infectious diseases at Korea University Guro Hospital, told Reuters.

Officials say that the virus likely “reactivated” in coronavirus patients, rather than re-infecting them, Bloomberg reported. A confirmed case of coronavirus is considered to be recovered after the patient tests negative for COVID-19 twice within 24 hours, according to Bloomberg.

here

• The South Korean CDC reported that 51 patients recovered from the coronavirus, tested negative, then positive again within a relatively short time.

• Jeong Eun-kyeong, the agency's director-general, said that virus may have "reactivated" in the patients after going dormant. 

• However, experts say that's unlikely. Only certain types of viruses, such as HIV and herpes, go through periods of latency periods and reactivation.

• It's more likely that the virus hadn't fully been cleared from a patient's system.

here

South Korea has confirmed 111 cases of coronavirus reinfection (as of Sunday noon) with most cases reported in Daegu and North Gyeongsang Province, two epicenters of the domestic outbreak.

Jung Eun-kyeong, director of Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), said on Sunday the organization was exploring possible causes of reinfection.

"For now it is uncertain what led to reinfection ― revived virus that survived treatment or fresh exposure to the virus after recovery," Jung said.

here

They don't know yet if it is reinfection or reactivation. They should talk to jeba.

28 minutes ago, yesterday said:

The problem is the test is not 100 % reliable, so testing positive is only a good indication, unless you test over several days do just have a good indication. Because there are not enough tests available, they probably only test once.

So, when when people tested positive then recover, then get it again, you do not really know they had it in the first place, because they do not do enough tests.

Not sure I understand your logic there!  If someone tests positive and is ill with the symptoms of Covid 19 why would you suspect the test result was not correct and the illness was something else?

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

If we ever develop a vaccine the next thing to deal with will be the anti-vaxxers, which seem to be a lot.

Hopefully they will decline and fade away by natural selection,

Not sure I understand your logic there!  If someone tests positive and is ill with the symptoms of Covid 19 why would you suspect the test result was not correct and the illness was something else?

A Lot of people are tested positive but have very few symptoms and recover, but because they only test once, because of a limited number of testing kits, there is doubt, that they was really true in the first place. 

19 minutes ago, yesterday said:

A Lot of people are tested positive but have very few symptoms and recover, but because they only test once, because of a limited number of testing kits, there is doubt, that they was really true in the first place. 

I am not sure but as I understand it South Korea, where the report came from, have been testing very extensively and do not seem to have a limited availability. It is also worth noting that the quote says "survived treatment" which would seem to indicate more serious symptoms.

For the immune system boosters, the BBC has an interesting article:

Unfortunately, the idea that pills, trendy superfoods or wellness habits can provide a shortcut to a healthy immune system is a myth. In fact, the concept of “boosting” your immune system doesn’t hold any scientific meaning whatsoever.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200408-covid-19-can-boosting-your-immune-system-protect-you

South korea has tested just over 500,000 from the start of the virus to Apr 14

source   https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102818/south-korea-covid-19-test-total-number/

South korea has a population of about 51 million

Compare that to Germany - which does 500,000 tests per week and a population of 80 million

So Germany is testing much more than S Korea

Here are some atikuls on how relaiable the test is

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/false-negatives-complicating-covid-19-testing-200411100741669.html  

https://www.researchgate.net/post/How-accurate-is-the-current-test-for-coronavirus-covid-19

https://www.seacoastonline.com/lifestyle/20200312/covid-19-more-tests-and-more-accurate-results-are-needed

if the original test is unreliable, then its difficult to say if a person already had it or not.

UK’s corona deaths higher than in the Republic of Ireland- an opinion - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/14/coronavirus-uk-ireland-delay

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

here

here

here

They don't know yet if it is reinfection or reactivation. They should talk to jeba.

Who would refer them to Profs. Drosten and Kekulé, who´s position on that he summarised.

59 minutes ago, yesterday said:

South korea has tested just over 500,000 from the start of the virus to Apr 14

source   https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102818/south-korea-covid-19-test-total-number/

South korea has a population of about 51 million

Compare that to Germany - which does 500,000 tests per week and a population of 80 million

So Germany is testing much more than S Korea

OK lets compare; Germany has over 10  times as many confirmed cases, over 3,00 deaths compared to 222 as of the 14th April https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ also S Korea has just 27 new cases.

Of course Germany is testing more than S Korea because it needs to, in case you had not noticed it is still spreading here. The numbers of the population tested has nothing to do with the availability of the test.

19 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

The numbers of the population tested has nothing to do with the availability of the test.

It does in the U.S. where there are way too few tests available.

''The numbers of the population tested has nothing to do with the availability of the test. ''

This statement is incorrect.

21 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

''The numbers of the population tested has nothing to do with the availability of the test. ''

This statement is incorrect.

Why???

54 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

It does in the U.S. where there are way too few tests available.

Whilst I accept that a lack of availability of the tests could well be reflected in a low number of people being tested on the reverse side it does not mean, for example, that if there were 10 tests available per person everybody would be tested 10 times. Cost alone is a factor you may not want/need to test those who have no symptoms or contact with the infected or possibly infected. Particularly true in the USA where I understand an individual has to pay for a test with or without health insurance, @fraufruit please correct me if I am wrong on that.;)

2 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Whilst I accept that a lack of availability of the tests could well be reflected in a low number of people being tested on the reverse side it does not mean, for example, that if there were 10 tests available per person everybody would be tested 10 times. Cost alone is a factor you may not want/need to test those who have no symptoms or contact with the infected or possibly infected. Particularly true in the USA where I understand an individual has to pay for a test with or without health insurance, @fraufruit please correct me if I am wrong on that.;)

We're not talking about 10 tests per person here. Just that everyone who needs one should get one and that ain't happening in the U.S. in spite of what Trump says.

I have read that the tests are free in the U.S. and I have read that they aren't. Not interested in doing more research.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

We're not talking about 10 tests per person here. Just that everyone who needs one should get one and that ain't happening in the U.S. in spite of what Trump says.

I have read that the tests are free in the U.S. and I have read that they aren't. Not interested in doing more research.

Nor am I, I was merely giving an example of why the amount of testing in South Korea is more likely related to the need rather than the availability of the test, in response to the suspect assumptions made by @yesterday with respect to the reports of re-infection/reactivation of the virus.I also fully accept that they need to do much more testing in the US.

On 4/12/2020, 12:47:30, Mackle said:

I am going to assume that @hellfire99 is English?

I can neither confirm nor deny that. 

On 4/12/2020, 10:51:21, BethAnnBitt said:

I believe so.  @Mackle was responding to a post from @kiplette, who was responding to a post from @hellfire99, who I believe was being soundly chastised by each of them.  @Keleth was following right along.  😂.  I was simply spectating the Brits.  

Fuck knows what you guys get up to while I'm away. 

Anyways, while you are here. This is a nice video from a bird who is a mortician.  She talks about the refrigerated trucks and dead bodies in New York.

Very interesting.