5,843 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Keleth said:

My flat would have to be falling down to make me queue up for hours at a bloody baumarkt.

I would probably even skip a 30 minute queue at a non-bloody baumarkt.  :lol:

Yeah I suspect most of those people are house owners like me. I'm doing stuff like paving and drainage (new build house, still loads to do).

I am trying to order as much as I can (stuff like sewer pipe us cheaper on eBay with delivery than at a baumarkt anyway) but some stuff needs delivery with a crane (paving, kerbing, cement). We can't get courier deliveries from most of the DIY places as they can't get close enough to our house and as we have a driveway of gravel they won't use a pallet truck. We are limited to ordering from places with crane delivery as those trucks can get through and offload.

Unfortunately stupid Bauhaus and our local Raab Karcher both insist on the order being placed in person in the branch. I tried calling them and emailing them but no dice, despite being existing customers of both. You'd imagine in these times they'd be more flexible.

I've gone there first thing every time to place orders and not had to queue but I have read of long queues at our local Hornbach on the local Facebook page. I've been to Bauhaus once and Hornbach twice since the regulations came into force.

I always go alone, wear a face mask and gloves and get in and out as quickly as possible, just like the supermarket. No browsing.

15 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Unfortunately stupid Bauhaus and our local Raab Karcher both insist on the order being placed in person in the branch. I tried calling them and emailing them but no dice, despite being existing customers of both.

Seriously? :wacko: Have you tried asking whether they will accept signed orders by snail mail with pre-payment by bank transfer?

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Himself believes the Baumärkte are closed. I will let him continue with that belief.

Don't you have any projects that need to be done? Some places even let you order online and let you just come by to pick it up. Or even easier have everything delivered.

There was a huge line (about 20 people and everyone keeping their distance) to get into Obi last week. I took one look at the line up and decided to order the powerbar through Amazon. 

20 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Don't you have any projects that need to be done?

Yes and we did it online. We have a panel curtain system in the living room and wanted new panels since we recently had the living room painted. Himself found a company online and we got to choose 5 samples which they mailed to us. So the order is in. We only needed the panels themselves - still have the weights that go in the bottom and the Stab for opening/closing.

Other than that, Himself finds plenty of things around here to take apart and "improve".

If the Wertstoffhof were open, we could do a lot of purging.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

My flat would have to be falling down to make me queue up for hours at a bloody baumarkt.

Only a garden center would be worse 👯.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

If the Wertstoffhof were open, we could do a lot of purging.

Cleaned out the shed and made a huge pile only to find out later that the dump (sorry, recycling centre) was closed.

Something needs to be done to control the open Wochenmarkten. Here in Hamburg there are people, especially it seems, market workers, scurrying backards and forwards. Virtually non existant social distancing measures. The problem is partly because there are too many stalls crammed in. Presumably each stallholder thinks they have valid essential foodstuffs, which is probably true, but overall its very unsafe. The Council need to step in and reduce stalls by ca. 25% or do what I heard several Dutch councils doing, closing them down altogether. Maybe they are afraid of the stallholders lobby. 

So everyone.

can someone tell me a new guesstimate for when schools will open in Germany? 

To to be specific, primary schools in Saxony 

thanks in advance

winner gets a chocolate biscuit 

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

Cleaned out the shed and made a huge pile only to find out later that the dump (sorry, recycling centre) was closed.

I did a very quick grab of anything that needed to go and was already bagged up, and made a trip before the shutdown started in case I could not get there for a long while. The local one to me reopened on 8 April so I could have waited!

41 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

can someone tell me a new guesstimate for when schools will open in Germany? 

To to be specific, primary schools in Saxony 

The Eleventyseventh of Japrunivember.

But only in Saxony.

I read that Denmark are going to start opening primary school from the middle of the week. It might be all eyes on Denmark.

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

Why don't you recycle it yourself?

Bring it back into your shed.

Talked to my brother on Mallorca, Spain. The lockdown is tough. Only supermarkets and pharmacies are open. You can't do sports outside, nor can you go out for a walk. He has a dog, so he can go out three times a day for 12 minutes each time within 250m boundary. Many controls in the streets by police incl. receipt from the supermarket. Last few days, more than 1000 people from Palma were fined, because they wanted to go to their second home on the country side for Easter.

50 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Talked to my brother on Mallorca, Spain. The lockdown is tough. Only supermarkets and pharmacies are open. You can't do sports outside, nor can you go out for a walk. He has a dog, so he can go out three times a day for 12 minutes each time within 250m boundary. Many controls in the streets by police incl. receipt from the supermarket. Last few days, more than 1000 people from Palma were fined, because they wanted to go to their second home on the country side for Easter.

Doesn't look any tougher that anywhere else really other than not being able to go on a walk. Is that only in Palma or everywhere?

17 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Doesn't look any tougher that anywhere else really other than not being able to go on a walk. Is that only in Palma or everywhere?

Sounds a lot stricter, no visiting the parks or going out for a long walk Basicly Unless you have a dog you stay in 7/24. The German police went through a busy park and thanked all tge sun bathers for maintaining social distance, no fines no nothing!