5,843 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Sure the EU has survived many many many crisis points in the past, but this time is probably the biggest  threat of them all. The virus and economic damage will be seen in a lot of places and strain the bonding too much. If the EU does not help, people may turn away from it.

What sort of help should the EU give? The idea of corona bonds will never fly with northern EU countries nor should it.

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

South Korea is reporting many cases of reinfection after people have recovered and tested negative. It seems there is no guaranteed immunity after recovering.

I've heard talk of sending people who have recovered back to work first because they are immune. What's up with that?

I also read that it mutates quickly and apparently there are 3 different types of coronavirus-Covid19. (see links below)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/248721/20200410/coronavirus-has-three-distinct-strains-according-to-study-us-suffering-from-original-variation.htm

On 4/10/2020, 9:31:57, murphaph said:

I understand Conte's frustration however. This is not like the financial crisis where countries including my own had a poor relationship with cheap credit and brought most of the misery upon themselves. The worst effects of the financial crisis could have been prevented. This is different. This is more along the lines of a natural disaster. There can be no finger waving about this.

Italy got caught out with being an early epicenter and some medics failed to recognise this as Covid 19. That's it. Spain as far as I know didn't make any big "mistakes" either. 

I fully support my taxes raised in Ireland and Germany being used to support our friends and partners in the worst hit member states. 

I appreciate your humanity on this re increased taxes. I can, however , and unfortunately, guarantee no one in Greece would make that offer if the shoe were on the other foot.

🙁

27 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I've heard talk of sending people who have recovered back to work first because they are immune. What's up with that?

Theoretically a great idea but then, I'm not an expert. I'm most interested in what's happening in Sweden. Sweden and New Zealand are at the opposite extremes in dealing with it, but NZ definitely seems to be winning. We won't know about Sweden for a couple of weeks. If NZ starts to remove restrictions we'll see just what happens. They are both  test cases.

2 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I don’t think I have either of those vaccines because they stopped doing them in different countries at different times. I’m positive I do not have small pox as I do not have that scar. I’m also pretty positive I do not have one for TB because I had to be screened for TB before going to Australia. I’m in my early 40s and from the US. My ex husband had one and he was 5 years younger than me and from Australia. 

But it doesn’t really matter. Everyone needs to have their titers checked. I got updates on my polio, whooping cough, and hep (forgot the letter) a few years ago for travel. I want to get the shingles and chicken pox vax since I’m one of those strange kids who never had the chicken pox despite being exposed to it many times. My mom and grandma had the same thing. I’ll get my titers checked first. 

I had to have titers checked  a few years back when I went to work with refugees. I had all of the regular immunities but I was mostly interested in the confirmation that I had immunity against hepatitus a -- I and my friends all caught it when we were travelling in Ecuador, a commune full of hepatitis patients! I knew this gave lifelong immunity, but it was good to see it confirmed by the test.

2 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I don’t think I have either of those vaccines because they stopped doing them in different countries at different times. I’m positive I do not have small pox as I do not have that scar. I’m also pretty positive I do not have one for TB because I had to be screened for TB before going to Australia. I’m in my early 40s and from the US. My ex husband had one and he was 5 years younger than me and from Australia. 

Routine vaccination of the American public against smallpox stopped in 1972 after the disease was eradicated in the US.  My smallpox vaccine scar is on the inside ankle.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

Theoretically a great idea but then, I'm not an expert. I'm most interested in what's happening in Sweden. Sweden and New Zealand are at the opposite extremes in dealing with it, but NZ definitely seems to be winning. We won't know about Sweden for a couple of weeks. If NZ starts to remove restrictions we'll see just what happens. They are both  test cases.

I had to have titers checked  a few years back when I went to work with refugees. I had all of the regular immunities but I was mostly interested in the confirmation that I had immunity against hepatitus a -- I and my friends all caught it when we were travelling in Ecuador, a commune full of hepatitis patients! I knew this gave lifelong immunity, but it was good to see it confirmed by the test.

Good point, but my sister, born in the US a bit prior to 72, doesn’t have it either. My brother does, but he was born in Germany in the late 60s. 

I’m going to have my titers checked whenever they get that COVID titer test up and running soon. 

I’m more interested in my chicken pox and shingles titers being tested. 

Austria has somewhat announced (heard on the radio and maybe I misunderstood) that they will open stuff soon. Let’s see what happens with that. 

18 hours ago, Frantic said:

I can say that in Italy if you are at least 50 years old you have the BCG vaccination...in other word you have that scar on the upper arm. My parents, aunts, uncles, etc. they have all, from the oldest to the youngest.

And we know this Covid 19 is deadly mostly for older people...let say from 50 upward.

So I am not sure about the protection factor given by the BCG vaccination. 

That´s not enough. First, if younger generations don´t have it, they are much more likely to transmit it (herd immunity). Second, depends on how it was given and how many times. E.g., I´ve had 3 shots, between 1979 and 1996. Lots of people were only given 1 shot at adult age, which seems to be less effective than receiving at birth.

BTW, the version I got left no scar, although kids 2 years older than me got it.

We should know for certain in a few weeks how effective BCG is. There are a number of clinical trials with control subjects in multiple countries running already or due to start imminently. Let's all hope BCG is proven to help.

6 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

My smallpox vaccine scar is on the inside ankle.

4 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Why the ankle? Did you try to run away and the could only grab you by your feet?

😂  Cuz my mom had an awful scar on the upper arm and requested having it someplace where the scar would not be visible.  I suspect that my pediatrician (unlike @AlexTr's) did not suggest giving it to me on my derriere.

8 hours ago, arunadasi said:

You can compare it with Portugal also, they have the same population. Portugal has 470 deaths vs 887 from Sweden.

More interesting, mortality rate in Portugal is slightly below 3% while it is 8.7% in Sweden. My guess here is that they are simply not testing enough...

On 4/5/2020, 7:20:13, SpiderPig said:

Send them to Frankfurt...   No fucker there seems to be following any regs...  

I reported 2 famillies who met at the small play area next the house where my daughter lives!

There a huge signs saying the play arrea is closed... 

WTF are folks thinking? 

I went out for a bike ride today, cycling from Enkheim to Offenbach along the River Main, and I was gobsmacked at the number of large groups I saw congregating and having barbecues. The south side of the Main was absolutely packed, it looked like a festival. 

On 4/6/2020, 1:26:51, kiplette said:

I don't know the guy, but I do know that politicians are not the critical personnel in this crisis.

There is a leadership job to be done, but it absolutely doesn't need to be him doing it. Politicians come and go. Another one might be better, not especially likely to be worse.

The basic idea that people are equal and should be treated so, is dumb? Wow. Just wow.

I am going to assume that @hellfire99 is English? There is a state of thinking that some English people have (and it's definitely an English thing because the Scottish and the Welsh don't seem to have it) whereby on some level people seem view themselves as serfs or peasants, and feel that it is their role to defer to people of a certain class as their betters.

An example of this, are people who (at least during / after the referendum) say things such as "I don't need people in Brussels to tell me how long I can work for, it should all be down to my boss!" .

Or to borrow an example from the Brexit thread; during his time as an LBC radio host, Jacob Rees-Mogg in one sentence said that British people who had exercised the right of Freedom of Movement were given a right that should not be available to all so therefore losing rights post-Brexit was merely righting a wrong, but goes on to end that sentence by saying that associates of his who bought Cypriot and Maltese passports were "men of exceptional quality who deserve recognition - and not one caller to his show after that felt the need to call out such elitism.

5 hours ago, Mackle said:

There is a state of thinking that some English people have (and it's definitely an English thing because the Scottish and the Welsh don't seem to have it) whereby on some level people seem view themselves as serfs or peasants, and feel that it is their role to defer to people of a certain class as their betters.

Yep the class system is still alive and it is kept alive by all the classes seemingly wanting it to continue.

5 hours ago, Mackle said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Yep he`s only put up with because of his Brexit views it is that deeply ingrained in many English people.

Same with Farage,he`s been caught lying so many time yet people see him as some sort of working class hero.

In the USA it seems to be money and god that are the driving force.If you have plenty of the first and pretend you deeply believe in the second then you`re nigh on untouchable.

The only place I see a lot of people here seems to be in the queue for the baumarkt,why people feel the need to queue up for what must be a couple of hours to buy some DIY stuff god only knows.

The Baumarkt is easily explained. People have time on their hands and projects around the house to do. Stuff that was put on the long finger is getting done now.

8 hours ago, Mackle said:

I went out for a bike ride today, cycling from Enkheim to Offenbach along the River Main, and I was gobsmacked at the number of large groups I saw congregating and having barbecues. The south side of the Main was absolutely packed, it looked like a festival. 

I had a late trip to REWE hoping it would be not very peopley by then, and inside, usual trolley rules, loads of reminders of space etc, whereas outside was like a bazaar, with groups of folk chatting together with the security guards, it was The Place to Be.

Extraordinary.

9 hours ago, Mackle said:

I am going to assume that @hellfire99 is English? There is a state of thinking that some English people have (and it's definitely an English thing because the Scottish and the Welsh don't seem to have it) whereby on some level people seem view themselves as serfs or peasants, and feel that it is their role to defer to people of a certain class as their betters.

Did I miss something here??? As far as I can see hellfire99 last posted on page 160 of this thread and your quote was from kiplette 6 days ago, so I am not real sure what your point is. If you think that everyone should be treated equally then I applaud that sentiment but the reality is different, you only need to look at the allocation of scarce ventilators in the NHS and Italy to understand that!

12 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

You can compare it with Portugal also, they have the same population. Portugal has 470 deaths vs 887 from Sweden.

More interesting, mortality rate in Portugal is slightly below 3% while it is 8.7% in Sweden. My guess here is that they are simply not testing enough...

Small thing, you are confusing mortality and fatality.  Mortality includes the whole population, fatality only the infected ones.

9 hours ago, Mackle said:

You seem to have built yourself a nice strawman there. But you're not wrong on your point, irrelevant that it is, although I'm not so sure the Welsh and Scots are different. When a million odd people marched on London to demand a second referendum they were dismissed as being "very middle class" like that's the worst thing in the world. There's definitely a sense in Britain that being educated and making something of yourself is something to be ashamed of. Many people are proud of their ignorance and their low station, and that certainly came out in Brexit. 

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Did I miss something here??? 

I believe so.  @Mackle was responding to a post from @kiplette, who was responding to a post from @hellfire99, who I believe was being soundly chastised by each of them.  @Keleth was following right along.  😂.  I was simply spectating the Brits.  

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

The Baumarkt is easily explained. People have time on their hands and projects around the house to do. Stuff that was put on the long finger is getting done now.

My flat would have to be falling down to make me queue up for hours at a bloody baumarkt.