5,849 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2020, 10:34:30, MikeMelga said:
  •  
  • BCG (Tuberculosis) vaccination
  •  

I can say that in Italy if you are at least 50 years old you have the BCG vaccination...in other word you have that scar on the upper arm. My parents, aunts, uncles, etc. they have all, from the oldest to the youngest.

And we know this Covid 19 is deadly mostly for older people...let say from 50 upward.

So I am not sure about the protection factor given by the BCG vaccination. 

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The good news is that the curve seems to be leveling out in NYC. The social distancing, etc. is working. I watched Cuomo's presser today. I want to have his babies.

So the curve flattens and they open up the economy? What happens then? 

The only way you can stop the pandemic is by killing the economy.

12 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

The EU will not fall apart for 2 main reasons. Business, especially German business,  will be desparate to keep goods flowing across the internal market, and freedom of movement is now a way of life for Europeans. 

You can have those things without the EU. The EEA (European Economic Area) does offer that as well (look at Norway or Switzerland).

7 hours ago, Frantic said:

I can say that in Italy if you are at least 50 years old you have the BCG vaccination...in other word you have that scar on the upper arm. My parents, aunts, uncles, etc. they have all, from the oldest to the youngest.

I have an upper arms vaccination scar, but it is from a small pox vaccination. Can people have both? Small pox vac AND BCG, or was it an either/or matter? Both were given around the same time.

39 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I have an upper arms vaccination scar, but it is from a small pox vaccination. Can people have both? Small pox vac AND BCG, or was it an either/or matter? Both were given around the same time.

I seem to remember my Dad had (and presumably still has) two scars and he told me one was for TB (like mine) and one was for Small Pox.

I have two vaccination scars also. One on each upper arm. They look slightly different. One seems larger and more recessed. It's almost certain that one is the BCG and possible at my age (41) that the other is for smallpox. 

I have had BCG twice, once at birth and again at 13,  But immunity wanes over the years.  I guess a skin test and vaccination is a possibility.  BCG is used as immunology treatment for  early bladder cancer.

My other half has no identifiable scar but the BCG is entered in her DDR Imfpass as being administered at birth. Maybe in newborns the scar is less likely.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

I have two vaccination scars also. One on each upper arm. They look slightly different. One seems larger and more recessed. It's almost certain that one is the BCG and possible at my age (41) that the other is for smallpox. 

If you google photos of vaccination scars, it looks like the bigger more recessed one would be small pox and the smaller one would be BCG.

I'm 50 and I have neither one.  By the time BCG became available, TB was getting uncommon in Iceland so they never saw the reason to start vaccinating for it.  According to my vaccination certificate, I did get vaccinated against smallpox at age 5 but under results, it says - and I don't have a scar. I asked my mother and she said the vaccine was bad.  However, this was around the time they were discontinuing vaccinations for small pox anyway so I guess nobody ever saw a reason to redo it.

The dinner lady at my primary school developed TB so all of us were vaccinated in a hurry. I was probably about 7 I suppose.

13 minutes ago, murphaph said:

My other half has no identifiable scar but the BCG is entered in her DDR Imfpass as being administered at birth. Maybe in newborns the scar is less likely.

You may be looking for the scar in the wrong place because they might not have done it on the arm.  Some women in Iceland have the cow pox scar on the back because some doctors felt that women like to wear sleeveless dresses without worrying about an ugly scar on their arm.  Of course some women might like to wear backless dresses too.  Maybe they should have done it on the butt.

I don’t think I have either of those vaccines because they stopped doing them in different countries at different times. I’m positive I do not have small pox as I do not have that scar. I’m also pretty positive I do not have one for TB because I had to be screened for TB before going to Australia. I’m in my early 40s and from the US. My ex husband had one and he was 5 years younger than me and from Australia. 

But it doesn’t really matter. Everyone needs to have their titers checked. I got updates on my polio, whooping cough, and hep (forgot the letter) a few years ago for travel. I want to get the shingles and chicken pox vax since I’m one of those strange kids who never had the chicken pox despite being exposed to it many times. My mom and grandma had the same thing. I’ll get my titers checked first. 

The United States is set to overtake Italy today for country with most recorded Covid19 deaths. So much for it being a democrat hoax!

56 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Mine is on my butt.

My BCG scar is on my upper left arm. We should start a BCG scar photo thread. :P

Wait... no... maybe not hehe

Just now, Anna66 said:

My BCG scar is on my upper left arm. We should start a BCG scar photo thread. :P

Wait... no... maybe not hehe

No No No GIF

18 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Agreed. The EU will not fall apart for 2 main reasons. Business, especially German business,  will be desparate to keep goods flowing across the internal market, and freedom of movement is now a way of life for Europeans. 

I would agree with @arunadasi, you never really know whats going to happen. - things can always change, depending on what happens

If you had told me 15 years ago that the UK would leave the EU, I would probably have laughed at the idea.

If you had told me that Russia would annex part of the Ukraine 15 years ago, I would probably have done the same.

Sure the EU has survived many many many crisis points in the past, but this time is probably the biggest  threat of them all. The virus and economic damage will be seen in a lot of places and strain the bonding too much. If the EU does not help, people may turn away from it.

South Korea is reporting many cases of reinfection after people have recovered and tested negative. It seems there is no guaranteed immunity after recovering.

I've heard talk of sending people who have recovered back to work first because they are immune. What's up with that?

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

South Korea is reporting many cases of reinfection after people have recovered and tested negative. It seems there is no guaranteed immunity after recovering.

I've heard talk of sending people who have recovered back to work first because they are immune. What's up with that?

According to Drosten and Kekulé that´s not to mean that there is no immunity but rather that the test had been done incorrectly. This is corroborated by reports that treating sverely sick patients with antobodies won via plasmapheresis from people who overcame the virus did work.